Sign of Sickness - Collecting Amenity Kits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sign of Sickness - Collecting Amenity Kits

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I have one from CO, UA (C), and NW, all unopened. I use the UA slippers I got from a recent flight all the time. I am one of those people that like to take their shoes off during a flight and I like the slippers so I can walk up to the lav.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:09 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I have one from CO, UA (C), and NW, all unopened. I use the UA slippers I got from a recent flight all the time. I am one of those people that like to take their shoes off during a flight and I like the slippers so I can walk up to the lav.
I've purchased some amenity kits from eBay before I started getting eVIP upgrades to business class.
One I purchased was an older style. Made for a nice conversation piece when a senior flight attendant recognized it.
I've also used them as small bon voyage gifts to friends/colleagues taking long flights in "Y". If they are not accustomed to flying it makes for a cute little something from their travel fanatic friend.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
How reliable is buying them on Ebay?

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
I've purchased some amenity kits from eBay before I started getting eVIP upgrades to business class.
One I purchased was an older style. Made for a nice conversation piece when a senior flight attendant recognized it.
I've also used them as small bon voyage gifts to friends/colleagues taking long flights in "Y". If they are not accustomed to flying it makes for a cute little something from their travel fanatic friend.
What are the prices?
Thanks.

My blue and gold swirl one may be an old Air France.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:41 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Does anyone know if the PrivatAir LH flights from EWR-DUS and MUC have amenity kits? And if so, are they the same as in LH C?
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: Big 3, in all their incarnations
Here's a link to a site that features photos of many amenity kits: http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/Amenities.htm
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
I had seen that site before, but it is quite outdated.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:18 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
What are the prices?
Thanks.

Base price $4~7, but with shipping, all-in probably $10~15.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wiggums
I have over 40 piled up. Two from "F" on NZ, two from "F" on LH, four from "F" on UA, and 40 from "C" on UA. Not even one has been opened. Is there soemthing wrong with me?

I even get agitated when I see others opening theirs.
The value to collectors is higher if it's unopened.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
What are the prices?
Thanks.

eBay Prices
l used to pay like $5-7US more or less
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the Ebay pricing info. I have a limited recall that my blue kit with gold swirls was Air France about 20 years ago. I think that the AA ones in real leather are about the same age.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
I would never purchase kits from a third party.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
A. Given the level of Hollywood's TV and movie production values, there are not sufficient watchable TV shows or movies to occupy you (unless your IQ hovers at 50 and the portion of your brain which handles "socialization" has atrophied.

B. Get out of your hotel room.

C. Try books.

D. Any position which keeps you in hotel rooms 280 nights a year and allows you no "home" is far more destructive than late night movies. Quit.

E. Get a home.

F. If none of the above are possible, then only the services of a skilled psycho therapist will allow you to address deep-seated personal problems.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
They may be at the meetings you go to, but the ones I run and those I attend are billed on "consumption". At up to $3.75 a can (plus tax & tip), the expense mounts up. Even coffee is billed by the gallon. I just priced a Continental Breakfast in an upscale hotel. For a dollar more, I could buy all the Continental's ingredients plus eggs and bacon with a plated breakfast for the group. The reason? "Looting" from meeting buffets has become enormous and hotels pass along the projected loss-cost.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMOliver
They may be at the meetings you go to, but the ones I run and those I attend are billed on "consumption". At up to $3.75 a can (plus tax & tip), the expense mounts up. Even coffee is billed by the gallon. I just priced a Continental Breakfast in an upscale hotel. For a dollar more, I could buy all the Continental's ingredients plus eggs and bacon with a plated breakfast for the group. The reason? "Looting" from meeting buffets has become enormous and hotels pass along the projected loss-cost.
There's another topic going on this specific subject. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655451

At our meetings we wear badges and have spotters who defend our grub and beverages. I can tell you that the guy who organizes these spotters is very good at his job. We don't have 'squatters' or 'looters' at our meetings.

Hotels are in it for a profit. If they are pricing based on looters and squatters, you need to defend your territory.

Last edited by oldpenny16; Feb 17, 2007 at 4:17 pm
Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I think they are more valuable if you use them to walk into the lav. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.