Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sign of Sickness - Collecting Amenity Kits

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Oh bugger it!!!

Have a good few amenity kits but have also a nice collection of logo glasses as well as blankets.

Glad to get that off my back......what a relief. Hold on there's a knock at the door.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
You are not the only one...although i don't really collect anything from UA....I do, however, have probably more than 100 sets of Westin Heaven Bath products in my bathroom right now
Donate them to a homeless or battered women's shelter...unless you're simply hording for future service enhancements.

<G>
I'm pretty much over it now, but before the most recent rules about liquids I used to bring home the shampoo's, soaps, etc. that I didn't use and gather them until I had a trashbag full of them. Then I'd take them to Goodwill. I took them to a womens shelter once - but when I knocked on the door and told them what I had they suggested that next time I call before showing up unannounced - seems they thought I was there to cause trouble. Anyway, I took a tax deduction every year for the fair value...
I still bring home pens and give them to the restaurants wait staff - (don't take a deduction though)
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:13 pm

Not cool enough for airline amenity kits...but I do collect toiletries from hotels and bring them home for myself and donations to local shelters - that is my addiction.

Like Richard4009, I do empty out soaps from the hotel bathroom and hope for they replenish. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (my last hotel, I had to request they give me more! how sick is that?). But I only do this when it's a brand I like. Otherwise, I encourage them to keep what they have.

But one day, when I grow up (to Plat), I hope to acquire the airline amenity kit addiction
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I would never purchase kits from a third party.
I've stopped for the most part once I started getting more upgrades, i.e., can obtain my own from onboard. It's still neat, though, to get a sealed, out-of-production version, although I wouldn't use the toothpaste!! Also, I like to use the eye covers. I've paid more retail for the eye covers alone than for an entire unopened amenity kit!
Any particular reason why you would not purchase one?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:14 am

hotel soaps

This is slightly off topic, but for those who collect hotel soaps, most of which are too small to use in the home, here's a way to combine a bunch of small soaps to get one big enough to use. Microwave them.

Take the small soaps, cut them into bits about the size of cashew nuts, or small brazil nuts. Put them into a deep bowl about the size of a cereal bowl, and stick it into the microwave, on high for one minute. The soaps will melt, bubble, and fuse into each other; they will also bubble over like a soufle. Take the bowl out, use a knife to pat everything down, and stick it back into the microwave for another minute. Take the nicely formed new piece of soap out, pat it down, run the bowl under cold water for about 15 seconds to cool everything down, and use the knife to take the new bar of soap out, and wash your hands with the soap under cold water again to cool down the soap.

Be careful, the soap and bowl will come out very hot. And there you will have a new bar of soap. Be sure the bowl is deep enough so the soap doesn't bubble out -- the bowl should be about 3 - 4 times the height of the soap.

Don't know if you can mix different types of soap; but don't see why not.

Now you can bring home all the used or new soaps from hotels, instead of having them being thrown away, and the remade soap can be used at home or given away to shelters, etc. There's no real economic saving on this, what with use of electricity, water, etc., but this saves having to throw away partly used soaps.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:55 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Anyone have a spare set of either the VS, BA, or SQ F PJ's? I'd appreciate a set as I never fly those airlines. I probably can dig out some unopened China Airlines kits.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:37 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Originally Posted by tangoll
This is slightly off topic, but for those who collect hotel soaps, most of which are too small to use in the home...
Actually the basin in our guest toilet at home is a small ceramic one, and anything larger than some of the hotel soaps just don't fit. I'm not a "collector" but a small collection means that they don't slip off I can easily replace them from time to time!

I am always amazed how "impressed" non or infrequent travellers are impressed by small hotel soaps!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by tangoll
This is slightly off topic, but for those who collect hotel soaps, most of which are too small to use in the home, here's a way to combine a bunch of small soaps to get one big enough to use. Microwave them.

Take the small soaps, cut them into bits about the size of cashew nuts, or small brazil nuts. Put them into a deep bowl about the size of a cereal bowl, and stick it into the microwave, on high for one minute. The soaps will melt, bubble, and fuse into each other; they will also bubble over like a soufle. Take the bowl out, use a knife to pat everything down, and stick it back into the microwave for another minute. Take the nicely formed new piece of soap out, pat it down, run the bowl under cold water for about 15 seconds to cool everything down, and use the knife to take the new bar of soap out, and wash your hands with the soap under cold water again to cool down the soap.

Be careful, the soap and bowl will come out very hot. And there you will have a new bar of soap. Be sure the bowl is deep enough so the soap doesn't bubble out -- the bowl should be about 3 - 4 times the height of the soap.

Don't know if you can mix different types of soap; but don't see why not.

Now you can bring home all the used or new soaps from hotels, instead of having them being thrown away, and the remade soap can be used at home or given away to shelters, etc. There's no real economic saving on this, what with use of electricity, water, etc., but this saves having to throw away partly used soaps.
I think we did this in a saucepan in girl scouts decades ago. I use the hotel soaps I like in their small state at home. I also have a mini sink in a mini guest bath so the mini soaps fit well there.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I use the amenity kit (minus the contents) for all sorts of things at home, to keep organized and everything in one place. The Anya F bags from BA are particularly useful for their size and collapsability (like for laptop leads etc.) and the older BA Molton Brown-branded J bags are also very useful for smaller stuff like iPod, chargers.

I also use the same bags and kits to make my own amenity kits when going away on weekends, or for flights themselves. I mix and match hotel and airline toilettries; the small size of everything is useful for those short hops.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I collect everything airline so of course I collect amenity kits. Strange though - I don't even open them, they just sit there. I don't intend to sell them either. Since they likely would get thrown away anyway, I don't think I am doing any damage to the environment.

I also collect and read timetables. Having been to airline collectable shows, I know I have company. Those of you who think you are not normal should visit one of these shows

My taste of hotel stuff is getting higher and higher and it has gone from "collecting" to using. Most of the time, I bring and use my own stuff - I don't even touch the hotel's stuff.

I only use and take them if I like them - like Marriott's and CP's shampoo - like the citrus smell, Hilton's Neutrogena stuff and Indigo's Aveda. I think the hotels refill and reuse the little bottles nowadays so there is some environmental damage for every bottle I take.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've only flown int'l C on UA (x7) and LH (x1) and have collected amenity kits from those flights. In fact, I thought the LH bag was so cute (Help-Alliance bag with a drawing of a girl on it), I snagged the unopened one the guy next to me left in his seat. My little girls like them quite a bit.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i rarely use an airline kit, but always take them.....i have given them to homeless drives, aids orphan grannies, & kitchen staff at hunting/fishing lodges....always well received....
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh help! I just went on ebay to look at airline amenity kits!

I already have a drawer with a stash (Air Canada, not nearly as swanky as the ones I was ebaying - how cute are the BA Anya F bags! They are lovely!) and then I discovered the PJ section.

I am already in trouble for my PJ collection (as in, I go shopping and seem to come back with some new PJs each time!) but I had never considered airline PJs!!! Fortunately (or unfortunately) AC doesn't do PJs.

I have boxes of toiletries from hotels, which do get used or donated, or, like others, used by guests. I don't feel the same ebay compulsion for those thank goodness!

Please stop me from ebaying!! (I have NEVER bought anything on ebay before!)
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
I like keeping them and putting them in our guest bathroom.. always a hit with visitors!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Aaaaackkkk!! I just checked eBay myself. Who would've thought... No, I will NOT bid on any of the kits they have for sale. I am guilty of grabbing mine from every flight in C and F, but I do give them to a doctor friend who lives in Bangkok and who helps take care of poor people. He is thrilled with the kits. And the people who get them from him love them. Makes me feel like they are going to a good cause.

Now, that said, there are SOME kits I won't give him. I have a Rimowa zip case from a F class LH flight. Cute! It now holds my (small) camera, extra memory chip, and the charger! Perfect! I also have a cute brown fold-up case with 'hanger' from LX. Keepers!

But my doctor friend gets all the toothpaste/toothbrushes/lotions, and all the soaps and stuff I get from hotels (unless it is a favorite brand of mine).

Mr Sim510 enjoyed the 'recipe' for microwaving little soaps. He likes to make a big bar of soap out of a bunch of little bars by just pressing them together when they are warm, from being in the shower I guess?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.