Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009, 3:13 pm

I have done a fax to Qatar office and I have a recipt of the fax.
I hope that is enough to prove that it they received the claim letter too.

I am planning to send the actual calim letter to their postal address.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:30 am

mine was lost for a week. AA comp'd me 10k miles for the trouble
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:37 am

Carrier: Lufthansa
Flight: SOF->FRA->TLS
date: 25/12/2009

The long story made short:
2 bags - one has been lost, in the other contents heavily damaged (almost all glass/plastic containers were broken)
Just one example I was querying 3 bottles: 1 plastic, 2 made of glass (one of which within a metal container), none survived.

The "remains" of the bottles looked as you have smashed them against a stone or something similar.

Please note that these were 1st apart from one other, 2nd isolated with the special wrapping (used in the duty free shops especially for glass bottles), 3rd wrapped with paper and were placed between the clothes in a manner not be close to any edges or sides of the suitcase.
Last but not least one of the bottles was, after the wrapping, put back in its original metal casing.
There were some perfumes and cosmetics too (for presents) – all of them are gone as well!

My shaving foam metal container was not strong enough to resist either. It wasn’t perforated but the foam was spilled all around. A shoe-polish plastic container was on pieces.
Imagine the force of the impact/s that this suitcase had to bear.

Because of the above I’ve lost some very valuable documents, all of the clothes including some designer ones, the presents and the only thing I got at the airport was the typically French: “We can’t do anything, sir! Sorry!”

At the airport I’ve been told, from the subsidiary company handling the luggage (Map handling) that neither the company nor Lufthansa can be hold liable as there were glass containers. According to them if there are any glass containers all the responsibility goes to the customer as he/she didn’t secure them well enough. I, of course wasn’t happy with that and told to the lady that I’ve packed them with care and have chosen a suitcase with hard sides/covers in order to protect the contents. But her answer was still – it’s your problem sir, not ours.

Anyway after 1 hour on the airport I managed to get her superior and made him issue me a report of damage. Unfortunately all that is stated on that report is the following:

Baggage details: 01-Damaged Contents

And on the bottom:

The report does not involve any acknowledgement of liability.

The strangest thing is that on the outside there are almost no traces at all that this suitcase suffered such impacts – just one black trace on the top and the missing label with the brand logo. (the suitcase was brand new - bought 2 days before the flight)

The lady asked for any bills/receipts of the damaged items, but I didn't have any, and I don't keep them as most of the purchases were made more than a month ago. The only one I still have is the one for the suitcase itself.

Would you please advice me what my options are? And what I can claim, because according to their web-site they are not to be held liable to any damage of fragile products(glass, plastics, electronics)! This is supposed to mean that we can transport only clothes and metal items, everything else is not covered.

Last edited by pirdop; Dec 27, 2009 at 12:41 pm
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:20 am

I am really sorry to hear your story. Follow the guidelines.
1. Make a Fax or registered post to the airlines. Like a proof that you reported the damaged to airlines and you should have proof that they received it.
2. here is the format of the same. http://www.montrealconvention.org/le...to_airline.htm
3. Let the letter be printed and with official language.
4. Please go through the Montreal Convention as yours was a international journey. article 17 precisely. here is the link http://www.montrealconvention.org/
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Pavan123
I am really sorry to hear your story. Follow the guidelines.
1. Make a Fax or registered post to the airlines. Like a proof that you reported the damaged to airlines and you should have proof that they received it.
2. here is the format of the same. http://www.montrealconvention.org/le...to_airline.htm
3. Let the letter be printed and with official language.
4. Please go through the Montreal Convention as yours was a international journey. article 17 precisely. here is the link http://www.montrealconvention.org/
Thank you for the reply, but I'm afraid is too late
I've just sent a letter to Lufthansa customer care(in UK) actually for whole Europe they have just 1 address in Liverpool UK

1. The problem is that my letter doesn't look anything like the sample one provided on that website.

2. I sent it by ordinary mail, and made a similar complaint on their website and received the automatic reply (could this be used as a proof?)

3. In the letter I have written I made a claim of roughly estimate of 800-900€ total loss, as I don't hold any receipts.

in this situation do you think it will be better to write a new letter one and
write in the actual (current) prices of the items. if I do it and this time claim the max 1000SDR could they

4. can i claim moral damages as well? I mean in that suitcase were my lectures notes for my exams next week. As everything spilled on them they are unreadable and most likely I'll have to face a failure. And in the post-grad school (I'm in my masters) where I'm currently in they don't allow any repeat exams.

Sorry for the childish questions, but I'm not a lawyer and all this is the first time that I'm experiencing such a thing.

thank you in advance
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:44 am

Sorry for the late reply.
1. Its ok even if you havent send the formal letter. The point here is that you did make them aware of loss.
2. I guess automatic reply is also good.
3. you can write a new letter for sure. thats no harm. Just mentioned the context of earlier letters. So that they know this is a follow-up + claim + complaint letter.
4. Definately you can always mention all the disappointment and pain you have to go through this.
However please make sure that you dont use the abusive language which can be used against you. Dont use language like "XYZ airlines has worst service in the world" rather say like "I express total dissatifaction with service offered to me by XYZ airlines."

Do see a consumer court / research for the Cosumer protection organizations where you can file case against airlines.

Pavan
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Pavan123
Sorry for the late reply.
1. Its ok even if you havent send the formal letter. The point here is that you did make them aware of loss.
2. I guess automatic reply is also good.
3. you can write a new letter for sure. thats no harm. Just mentioned the context of earlier letters. So that they know this is a follow-up + claim + complaint letter.
4. Definately you can always mention all the disappointment and pain you have to go through this.
However please make sure that you dont use the abusive language which can be used against you. Dont use language like "XYZ airlines has worst service in the world" rather say like "I express total dissatifaction with service offered to me by XYZ airlines."

Do see a consumer court / research for the Cosumer protection organizations where you can file case against airlines.

Pavan
thanks for you reply and excuse( mine little bit late too)!
I actually have already sent them a letter and this is what I received from them as an answer yesterday!
I publish this as i received it without any edit! Just to warn other travelers what to expect from Lufthansa's "customer care"!

As you can see below, all they are offering to cover is the soap and the shaving foam that I had to buy!

Thank you for your feedback dated 28 December 2009.

May we firstly offer our most sincere apologies for your experiences in December due to the baggage irregularity you encountered and for any inconvenience caused.

We fully appreciate how frustrating any delay to checked baggage can be. Please accept our assurances that behind the scenes all agents work very hard to reunite passengers with their baggage as quickly as possible.

We will be pleased to consider any expenses you had to incur if you would like to forward us the original receipts together with your property irregularity report. Our policy of reimbursement is 50% for clothes and 100% for toiletries and underwear.

In order for us to proceed with any reimbursement, please also forward your bank details, including your account number and IBAN, the name and address of the bank, and your name and address as it appears on your bank statement.

We are grateful for the confidence our customers place in us when transporting their personal property. Our staff is trained to handle luggage with care and accuracy, and the majority is processed without incident. We are however sorry to learn of the damage to the contents of your suitcase.

As per article 8.3.1.3 of our Terms & Conditions, you must not include in your baggage any fragile articles. External markings, which identify luggage for special handling, do not guarantee against breakage, therefore “fragile” labels are not utilised by airport personnel. We regret to advise that we are unable to offer compensation for the damaged items.

It was also with great regret we learned of the items reported missing from your suitcase.

Please note that a carrier can accept liability when it is evident that the irregularity occurred during air transportation. Only when a passenger files a report for missing items immediately upon receipt of the bag's arrival may he be regarded as having given sufficient notice. As the missing items were not reported at the airport upon arrival, we are unable to honour your request for compensation.

We realise that this response may not be the one anticipated and kindly ask for your understanding of our position in this matter.

Yours sincerely,________________________________________ ______________
Maiken Mosleth / Phil Poole
Customer Feedback Europe

Lufthansa German Airlines
Customer Feedback Europe
PO Box 1289
Liverpool L69 3AX
UK
E-mail: [email protected]

Incorporated in the Federal Republic of Germany with limited liability.
Corporate Headquarters/Sitz der Gesellschaft: Deutsche Lufthansa Aktiengesellschaft, Köln
Registration/Registereintragung: Amtsgericht Köln HR B 2168.
Chairman of the Supervisory Board/ Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dipl.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Juergen Weber
Executive Board/Vorstand: Wolfgang Mayrhuber (Chairman/Vorsitzender), Stephan Gemkow, Stefan Lauer)
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: bmi, Finnair
LH doubly lost luggage

I had a bmi redemption flight in C on AC/LH/SAS, SEA-YYC-FRA-CPH last Fri/Sat. My luggage went missing somewhere along the way (my suspicion is that it didn't make the YYC-FRA flight as SEA-YYC was substantially delayed and I barely made the connection myself). At CPH they gave me 1000DKK (~€130) for immediate essentials etc.

By the next morning, they had found my bag, but as it wouldn't arrive in CPH by the time of my onward flight (on another carrier/ticket), they said they'd forward it on to TLL. For the next few days they kept telling me that it would arrive that day. Finally I discovered that it had gone missing again, somewhere between CPH and TLL. (CPH gave me details of the exact flight they insist it went on; TLL insist it never arrived). 3 days on from reopening the file, they still haven't found it (having gone through the contents of every similar bag currently in CPH over the phone to me to see if any of them were mine).

They then directed me to LH customer relations for questions on compensation etc., but the phone number they gave me was actually a fax, and any other number I can find anywhere seems to be permanently busy.

From what I've read here, LH policy is that I can claim up to 1000XDR, but other than underwear and toiletries, everything else is only reimbursed at 50%? That seems a little odd to me, but I also notice that some people have stories of getting more than that, and that LH is one of the best for this sort of thing. Is there any special trick to getting better than 50% reimbursement?

In a case like this where the luggage is still delayed, but presumably becoming increasingly unlikely to ever be found, how many things can I replace when? For example, I had 5 shirts in my luggage - I could probably make do with 2 in the short term if my luggage is going to turn up, so do I have to wait for them to eventually declare it completely lost before replacing all of them?

Also, how connected do the items I'm claiming for need to be to what was in my luggage? It would be almost impossible to get exact replacements for most of the contents, and I don't really know how much a lot of the things originally cost me (thankfully LH don't seem to want original receipts, just for the replacements) so is any reasonably priced shirt an acceptable replacement?

And on electronic equipments, does their non-coverage extend to things like chargers and adaptors? I never check in things like laptops and cameras themselves, but various accessories were there and now I've lost, for example, the recharger for my Japanese camera, which is non-trivial to replace.

Thanks for any advice or pointers.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:25 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by salvadors
From what I've read here, LH policy is that I can claim up to 1000XDR, but other than underwear and toiletries, everything else is only reimbursed at 50%?
No, the 50% is a myth. The carrier is liable for the entire cost (100%) up to the 1000 XDR limit.

In a case like this where the luggage is still delayed, but presumably becoming increasingly unlikely to ever be found, how many things can I replace when? For example, I had 5 shirts in my luggage - I could probably make do with 2 in the short term if my luggage is going to turn up, so do I have to wait for them to eventually declare it completely lost before replacing all of them?
You can purchase all the replacement items you require the moment your luggage does not arrive.

Also, how connected do the items I'm claiming for need to be to what was in my luggage? It would be almost impossible to get exact replacements for most of the contents, and I don't really know how much a lot of the things originally cost me (thankfully LH don't seem to want original receipts, just for the replacements) so is any reasonably priced shirt an acceptable replacement?
Yes.

And on electronic equipments, does their non-coverage extend to things like chargers and adaptors? I never check in things like laptops and cameras themselves, but various accessories were there and now I've lost, for example, the recharger for my Japanese camera, which is non-trivial to replace.
The "non-coverage" is yet another airline myth, as it is inconsistent with the Montreal/Warsaw Conventions.

From http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/webnotice_04012009.pdf
"We have become aware of tariff provisions filed by several carriers that attempt, with respect to checked baggage, to exclude certain items, generally high-cost or fragile items such as electronics, cameras, jewelry or antiques, from liability for damage, delay, loss or theft. A typical provision found in carrier tariffs and disclosed on carrier Web sites states that the carrier does not assume liability for loss, damage, or delay of ‘‘certain specific items, including: * * * antiques, documents, electronic equipment, film, jewelry, keys, manuscripts, medication, money, paintings, photographs * * *.’’ Such exclusions, while not prohibited in domestic contracts of carriage, are in contravention of Article 17 of the Montreal Convention (Convention), as revised on May 28, 1999. Article 17 provides that carriers are liable for damaged or lost baggage if the ‘‘destruction, loss or damage’’ occurred while the checked baggage was within the custody of the carrier, except to the extent that the damage ‘‘resulted from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage.’’ Article 19 provides that a carrier is liable for damage caused by delay in the carriage of baggage, except to the extent that it proves that it took all reasonable measures to prevent the damage or that it was impossible to take such measures. Although carriers may wish to have tariff terms that prohibit passengers from including certain items in checked baggage, once a carrier accepts checked baggage, whatever is contained in the checked baggage is protected, subject to the terms of the Convention, up to the limit of 1000 SDRs (Convention, Article 22, para. 2.). Carriers should review their filed tariffs on this matter and modify their tariffs and their baggage claim policies, if necessary, to conform to the terms of the Convention. In addition, carriers should ensure that their websites do not contain improper information regarding baggage liability exclusions applicable to international service."
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:51 am

I'm addressing this to KVS, apparently the one that knows the most aware of what to do in a case of damaged/lost baggage.

As you can see(from my previous posts) I had a very unpleasant experience with LuftHansa (LH) as they didn't give me any cash when arrived on the airport (TLS) with one bag missing and the other one with completely damaged contents.

All they offered me after I filed a claim was to reimburse me 100% of my toiletries/underwear and 50% of the value of the clothes, given I provide them with the original receipts, which of course I don’t keep. And 0% for all other items as LH considers them as fragile and therefore denies any liability.
“We will be pleased to consider any expenses you had to incur if you would like to forward us the original receipts together with your property irregularity report. Our policy of reimbursement is 50% for clothes and 100% for toiletries and underwear.”
However they suggested a 50% reimbursement of the clothes I “had” to buy. Here is the problem as I had exams(just finished this week) I didn’t have time to go shopping at all, now I do have the time and I will have to do it as my suit was in there and I have to go to some job/internship interviews. Within what timeframe they accept to bear such expenses?

My biggest problem of all was that my lecture notes(I’m a student) were in those bags and after the accident got completely unreadable. In a consequence I almost failed my exams

So my question is there any possibility to claim damage for the maximum of 1000 SDR? I had very expensive items in that bag and the total amount is much more than €1100, but apparently I don’t have a way to prove it.

Just to mention few of the broken items and their average prices
Texas Instruments Calculator(TI-92) €190
Nikonl Camera + lenses €390
External Disk Drive €120
Armani sunglasses €130
Shirts €90
Suit €400
Shoes €160
Adidas Sport Shoes €90
Hairdryer €25

Total €1595

Thank you for the advice.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:31 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by pirdop
I'm addressing this to KVS, apparently the one that knows the most aware of what to do in a case of damaged/lost baggage.

As you can see(from my previous posts) I had a very unpleasant experience with LuftHansa (LH) as they didn't give me any cash when arrived on the airport (TLS) with one bag missing and the other one with completely damaged contents.

All they offered me after I filed a claim was to reimburse me 100% of my toiletries/underwear and 50% of the value of the clothes, given I provide them with the original receipts, which of course I don’t keep. And 0% for all other items as LH considers them as fragile and therefore denies any liability.
“We will be pleased to consider any expenses you had to incur if you would like to forward us the original receipts together with your property irregularity report. Our policy of reimbursement is 50% for clothes and 100% for toiletries and underwear.”
However they suggested a 50% reimbursement of the clothes I “had” to buy.
LH is referring to the replacement items you had to purchase while in TLS, but this does not matter in this case, since your claim for damaged items exceeds the 1000 SDR limit, which is a combined limit for both delay and damage.

Here is the problem as I had exams(just finished this week) I didn’t have time to go shopping at all, now I do have the time and I will have to do it as my suit was in there and I have to go to some job/internship interviews. Within what timeframe they accept to bear such expenses?
For damaged items, you have 7 days to file a report (which you have done already). You then have 2 years from the flight date to finalize the claim.

My biggest problem of all was that my lecture notes(I’m a student) were in those bags and after the accident got completely unreadable. In a consequence I almost failed my exams
Again, that's irrelevant in your case, since your claim (below) already exceeds the 1000 XDR limit.

So my question is there any possibility to claim damage for the maximum of 1000 SDR?
Of course, assuming your claim is for at least 1000 XDR.

I had very expensive items in that bag and the total amount is much more than €1100, but apparently I don’t have a way to prove it.
Did you show the damaged suitecase and items at the airport when you filed the report? Do you have photographs showing all those damaged items?

Just to mention few of the broken items and their average prices
Texas Instruments Calculator(TI-92) €190
Nikonl Camera + lenses €390
External Disk Drive €120
Armani sunglasses €130
Shirts €90
Suit €400
Shoes €160
Adidas Sport Shoes €90
Hairdryer €25

Total €1595

Thank you for the advice.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: bmi, Finnair
Originally Posted by KVS
No, the 50% is a myth. The carrier is liable for the entire cost (100%) up to the 1000 XDR limit. ... The "non-coverage" is yet another airline myth, as it is inconsistent with the Montreal/Warsaw Conventions.
Thanks, that's useful to know. Quite a few people have referenced LH still quoting these though, so is it just one of those things that they use primarily in the hope that people don't know better, and all you need to do is firmly point out their liability? Or do you tend to end up having to fight for full reimbursement?

Originally Posted by KVS
You can purchase all the replacement items you require the moment your luggage does not arrive.
Is there likely to be any haggling over what 'require' means, though? If they manage to find and return my luggage after, say, two weeks, are they able to claim that I probably didn't need to replace five shirts yet: maybe two would have been more reasonable? Similarly I don't necessarily need to replace the books that were in my luggage just yet: I'd certainly like to finish reading one I was in the middle of, but for ones I hadn't started yet, I can always read something else in the meantime...
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:04 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Thanks, that's useful to know. Quite a few people have referenced LH still quoting these though, so is it just one of those things that they use primarily in the hope that people don't know better,
Essentially, yes.

and all you need to do is firmly point out their liability? Or do you tend to end up having to fight for full reimbursement?
It depends, but in most cases, if you provide the appropriate documentation and properly present your claim, they will issue a payment.

Is there likely to be any haggling over what 'require' means, though? If they manage to find and return my luggage after, say, two weeks, are they able to claim that I probably didn't need to replace five shirts yet: maybe two would have been more reasonable? Similarly I don't necessarily need to replace the books that were in my luggage just yet: I'd certainly like to finish reading one I was in the middle of, but for ones I hadn't started yet, I can always read something else in the meantime...
That would be extremely unlikely.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
1/17/10. AS YVR-SEA-PHX.

Due to the Canadian security regulations I had to check my overnight bag. When I reclaimed it in PHX, two of the zippers were ripped off. I am not going to report it to AS, it's just slightly annoying.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:50 pm

Damaged Luggage

Hi, I'm in need of some help.
I've just flown back from LHR-SIN-MEL. Dept 11th Feb, arr. 13th Feb. on Singapore Airlines.
(It was a return trip, i flew Singapore Airlines 6th Jan MEL-SIN-ZRH)

At LHR i checked in my luggage, including a box clearly marked 'Fragile', which did not go on the normal conveyer, but it was placed with the oversize/fragile items. I was asked what the item was, and i said a wooden cutlery display box, which is a wedding present for my sister, and i said the cutlery is in my main suitcase. I asked if the box would be safe, and he said being marked fragile, it will be handled seperate to normal luggage and will have a different collection point at Melbourne Airport, there is no need to worry about it, and said i'd be better checking it in, rather than taking as hand luggage.

I arrived at Melbourne and noticed all fragile items were on the normal conveyer and I was not the only one who was disappointed and others noticed damage upon collecting their items.

I collected my suitcase and my fragile item, cleared customes and returned home.

Once i'd had some sleep, i opened my suitcase and everything was fine there, but when i opened the fragile item, it appears it has been dropped and there is a dent on one of the edges, as it is on the front of the box and quite substantial in size, i can no longer give this as a wedding present, and require a replacement.

I have had a look on the cutlery companies website and the box will cost about 150-200 pounds to replace, plus postage to australia. I have sent them an email to get the exact price and shipping cost, also asking if there is anywhere in Australia that stocks this brand, to reduce the cost to the airline.

What do you advise I do? Am I covered by the Montreal or Warsaw conventions? do i contact the singapore airlines office in Melbourne, or in Singapore? Do i need the replacement cost (including shipping) in my initial correspondence, or can i follow-up with a second letter once the company respond?

Please help, i've spent a lot on my sisters present and now i'm very upset, wishing i'd not checked-in the item, but lugged it around with me as hand luggage (although i know your only meant to have 1 item, the gentleman said i could take it with me if i can carry it without difficulty, but he advised checking it in).

Last edited by nonirose; Feb 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.