Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
poor treatment the same everywhere

Anyone beat me to 12 lost luggages in 14 months?

Mine even managed to get lost on a direct flight (TK) or in a small airport like TXL (AB), in a so-caled safe connecting hub like HKG (KA) or after I had personally carried it through US customs and re-checked it (UA).
Fortunately mainly on the way home and fortunately it keeps coming back, usually within 24hrs (although LH once took two weeks to locate it in MUC).
And I seem to lose a wheel per year too (twice in HKG).

Problem is no matter which airline, no matter which status you have and no matter which class you travelled in: the service once it's lost is lousy. Always! It's just like after you paid for your transport and that is done they dump you there. Long queues to report loss. Airline wokers that refuse to fill in the details you mention as important. Unkept promises to call you back. No offer direct from their side to help you out with some clothes or toothbrush if you don't push for it. Onwards transportation of located luggage at the lowest cost for the airline which will take longer, no matter if you need to travel onwards. You always have to make a big fuss to get things moving.

The best (or least bad) experience I had was with AC (YUL), BA (DUS) and AB (CGN), the worst was definitely UA (SIN).
From my experience the highest chances to lose your luggage in Europe are transits with Skyteam or via LHR (if not on BA), but short connections in MUC take their toll too (the only airport that almost always works miracles on tight connections is VIE).
And the better the airline looks in the baggage-loss statistics, the longer it takes them to get it back to you (LH). Or the other way round: BA is said to lose a hell of a lot of luggage. But that seems to keep them in good training: they're always the fastest in bringing it back to me!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:10 pm

Unhappy Luggage STOLEN from United 901 FRA-SFO

Just returned from the international terminal at SFO. My husband and I were on United 901 from Germany. We NEVER check our bags since our last lost luggage fiasco with United in Canada 3 yrs ago (stuck in freezing weather over new year holiday with no winter clothes except what i had on for 1 wk), I digress. Today we HAD to check our bags for various reasons.

We received 1 bag but not the other. United claims their computer says it arrived, therefore it must be stolen or accidentally taken and there is nothing they can do about that. They took our name & # in case someone returns it (LOL)! This means we walked through customs minus items in the bag we were declaring and someone else walked through customs with our bag claiming it was theirs.

I couldn't find a posting on this thread about stolen bags. Does anyone here have any experience with this? If so, can you offer some advice as to what we can do? Do any of the treaties mentioned in this thread apply to stolen bags?

Here's the funny part, our bags had "priority" luggage tags on them.

Also, not sure if it's important but our bags were booked via Lufthansa where we have "senator" status, which is of course meaningless to United (other than receiving priority luggage tags). Don't even get me started on the faux pas LH made with us on this flight as well. Status of any kind seems to be meaningless and I always thought Lufthansa was the last, great customer service oriented airline left.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:39 am

A year or so back my luggage was lost for a bit by Delta on my trip from the states to Amsterdam.

200 euros as I remember for "stuff" I might need until the luggage showed up. Documentation of spending needed.

4 grams of Blueberry grass at the Noon coffeeshop. Surely they would not reimburse me for that.

They did.

This may only work if your bags are lost going into Schipol.

But it does work.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:56 pm

Unites takes away carry-ons and checks them and loses mine

EDIT: I'm sorry, I mean United. I can't edit the title though.

Traveled SEA-DEN-GUC (that's Gunnison, Colorado) with a group of skiers on 2 separate itineraries he same day. Several people in one group had their carry ons taken due to "not enough space inside int he cabin". Fortunately none lost, but PLENTY on space in overheads.

I was allowed to keep mine on SEA-DEN, but then they checked it at the gate for the short hop to GUC. They give me the green check stub and tell me to put it on the cart on the jetway. It doesn't make it there, the only delayed bag of our group.

GUC United ground personnel very responsive, take hotel info in cryptic form. I assume they have taken SO many bags to the hotel @ the ski resort, they know it well. Then the fun of calling Untied to find out where it was. Call center people insisted on getting detailed address of where to deliver it and detailed description of bag. Why don't ground personnel do this in the first place, or indicate on their form it isn't needed?? I had to do this TWICE on different calls. I carefully provided address to drop it at resort front desk.

Their call center personnel sound like robots reading from a script - like I was giving voice prompts. Would not tell me what I could buy or rent.

Delivery company in GUC finally gets it - but they do NOT deliver to resort desk and will not deliver until they reach me by phone, then botch it badly so it takes 6 hours rather than 45 minutes.

I had medications in this bag that would have been difficult or impossible to replace without a 2 hour cab ride.

Last edited by GP-Seattle; Feb 27, 2011 at 7:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:32 am
Suspended

Just happened to me last week going from LAX to LHR on Virgin Atlantic. I had to buy clothes on my corp card..I defy them to make me pay for it!!!! Looking forward to that little battle

I started with a commuter flight from CLD to LAX on United. I HAD to check the bag, the aircraft was a brasilia. I was told by the United agent "No problem, we can interline your bag all the way to LHR".

Get to LHR, 11 hours later. No bag. Virgin rep blames me for not telling them I had baggage.

Wait 3 days, the luggage finally gets delivered to hotel. Ugh. What a pain.

Still, considering my flights these last 3 years, this was the only the 2nd incident.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
No. 15 gone

It happened to me once again. The route Hangzhou-Hong Kong-Singapore (taken it twice, lost luggage twice; once with Dragonair and United, now with Dragonair and Cathay) seems to be guarantee lost luggage.
And what angers me most: the better the records (of not losing luggage) of the airport and the airline involved, the less they seem to feel obliged to make an extra effort to ensure it doesn't happen.
Cathay/Dragonair went through quite some additional and rather unnecessary effort to help fellow passengers and me to find our way from our delayed incoming flight to our connection flight (43mins). But obviously no one even thought of these passengers having connecting luggage too, that could easily have been separeted and handled sepparately immediately (containers might not make this easier). Austrian does that quite successfully in Vienna (under 20mins connections already experienced with luggage!).
And whenever you ask someone to check on the whereabout of the luggage, you get the impression "we are so good, we don't lose luggage, so we needn't do anything about it. And should it happen we are so good, that at every remote destination there will be hundreds of willing helpers working for us to solve the problem fast (not taking into account, that you might not have a two weeks holiday ahead of you and that your planning before paying for the ticket was based on you arriving with your luggage).
But - unlike Lufthansa and Iberia, at least they were kind enough to check and inform me, the luggage had not arrived at the aircraft yet (KLM in this case even gave wrong information).
And as so often, I felt it coming during check-in and as so often my request for some "transit" or "transfer" badge/flag was denied by an check-in operator who told me certainly everything would be alright (as so often by someone, who has not ever ventured beyond his own airport).
It's so frustrating if you know it could have been prevented with a little effort which was denied upon foreseeing request.
But my compliments to Cathay lost&found in Singapore: unlike United, where I had to locate the lost luggage in Hong Kong myself and then push United again and again to deliver it many hours after it had arrived in Singapore, Cathay had it with me within 120 minutes.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In 1999, I flew Air France from Atlanta to Germany to go to the Christmas markets. I had just moved to Raleigh, NC, but flew out of Atlanta since I had purchased the ticket before the unexpected move.

The flight to Germany went without a hitch. When I got back to Atlanta, my bags didn't. Air France wouldn't tell me what was going on, but the dude working for Delta (who handles Air France baggage in ATL) told me the luggage handlers in Paris had gone on strike and my bags were still in Paris. He was so polite and helpful. I wish I had flown Delta instead of Air France.

I asked Air France if they would reimburse my motel room if I stayed in an el cheapo motel like Motel 1, Travelodge, or Econolodge to wait on my bags. She said that they couldn't reimburse my motel since I was at my destination. I told her that I live in Raleigh, not Atlanta, and that there were Christmas presents that I had bought at Christmas markets in Germany that I was needing to take to my parents in Knoxville, TN. She said, "We don't have time for your sob story." I couldn't believe the stuff coming out of her mouth.

Anyway, I told her that either she could pay for a cheap motel (and that I was being really cool by only asking for a cheap one) or they could mail my luggage to me, which would be very expensive in comparison. She said they would mail it.

I went ahead and drove to Knoxville to visit my parents. I kept calling Air France over the next few days to check on my baggage, just like in the movie "Meet the Parents". After a few days, the ladies answering the phone immediately recognized my southern accent. It was so funny. After a week or so, the luggage made it to Atlanta. The next day, I called and they said it was on one of their flights to Memphis. I asked why they were flying it to Memphis! They said, "You asked for us to send your luggage to Tennessee." I replied, "Yeah, but there's an airport in Knoxville. Besides, Atlanta was only 3 hours from Knoxville. Memphis is 9 hours away! Why not just fly them to Knoxville from Atlanta?" R-tard replied, "Sir, we have to follow procedures."

A couple of days after that, my bags finally arrived.

unbelievable
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:43 am

Air France sabotages my theory

I must admit that Air France is one of the rare cases (as is United) that conflict with my theory (that airlines, which are known to lose the luggage more often, know better how to handle the situation).
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:50 pm

no more AF-bashing from me

AF saved more than my evenig yesterday:
Not only did I have my first long distance flight with absolutely perfect service in business class with them (the "first" refers only to the perfect service - it was undoubtedly beTter than both recent LH long distance flights over the pond; not that that was good, but I had expected even less from AF by experience), but they also worked miracles with my luggage at CDG:
delay of incoming flight into E was over 30min delayed. By the time we de-boarded I had 35mins left till my departure from D; that's 5 mins till boarding.
I had already been informed prior to landing that AF had re-booked me to another flight over 3hrs later.
Well, I ran for it and really just about made it, surprised there were no discussions leting me board the previously booked flight. But having my experience with CDG I had zero hope for my luggage.
Upon arrival at my destination I headed right for the AF lost&found counter, just to find out I wasn't on the list forwarded from CDG.
I assumed they hadn't even realized I didn't wait for the re-booked, later flight but then to my big surprise found my luggage on the belt.
Well done Air France!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: United 1K,MM
I am hoping someone can help me with my problem. My Husband and I flew UA 930 out of SFO the evening of April 1st. We were delayed 3 hours and missed our connecting flight to Rome. We called Alitalia and for a huge fee changed our tickets to a later flight. When we arrived at LHR we checked in with Alitalia and asked them to change the tags on our luggage. Arrived in Rome, no luggage. Finally after 2 days got our luggage and it was clear that someone had rifled through mine. To top things off my Husbands Anniversary gift was gone. Called Altalia and was told to go to the local police station. The Concierge of our Hotel got a good laugh out of that one. He told me Alitalia is notorious for things going missing out of luggage. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Flew RNO-SLC-CDG-PRG. My bag was last scanned in SLC and AF says they have never seen it. To be compensated I need to provide original receipts to AF within 21 days for all items. I have the original receipt for the bag itself, but it is in my home in Reno so I have no way to get it unless I fly back there... which I am not scheduled to do until mid June.

All the other stuff is impossible to be reimbursed for since it is clothes and such for which I do not have a receipt. I asked the guy at AF if he had the receipt for the shirt we was wearing (he didn't).

Thus I have now resigned myself to never using AF again and never transiting CDG again. Aeroflot provided better service.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:03 am

HEL to LGW on the 27th of May on Norwegian. The baggage handlers were on strike, so no bags were loaded on the plane. I got to Gatwick, did the paperwork and was told that they would text me with a reference number later. They didn't. I called them the next day and they didn't know where my bag was. Since I was about to leave London for Newcastle (and would only stay there for two nights), I told them to ship the bag back to Finland if it showed up, or hold it at HEL and I'd pick it up on my way back. They said okay.

Got back to HEL on Wednesday the 1st of June (a day later than planned, because I had to visit a hospital after getting some boiling hot tea spilled on me...) and inquired after my bag. The lady at the desk was very confused and complained a lot about the slowness of whatever computer program she was using, but finally she said my bag was at the other terminal and they could deliver it the next day. Great! The delivery guy shows up...with someone else's bag. I have a surname that's very common in Finland, which apparently caused the confusion (but surely the luggage tag number should help in cases like this?). I try calling the luggage handling agent immediately, but the phone number that Norwegian has on their website is not in operation. I manage to find another number on the HEL website, but nobody is picking up because Thursday was a holiday. On Friday they're back at the phones and I explain the situation. They don't know where my bag is. I finally get a reference number, though. Today they called and said they'd found the bag. Delivery guy shows up...with the same bag that still doesn't belong to me.

There's nothing really valuable in the bag, just clothes (including some new stuff I'd just bought for the trip) and some small gifts for my friends in London. I hope the other person with the same surname didn't decide he liked my stuff better...
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
About 5 Years ago we were lying from ORD-DCA. We have 4 bags (4 of us one for each of us) I have the lightest bag figuring it would get on the plane. Sure enough it didn't.... They told me the plane had a weight restriction (...?? I thought the MD-80 had the range) so it would come in on the next flight. Took about 7 hours once it came for it to be delivered.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:00 pm

Claiming Lost Baggage without receipts

Hi Everyone,

I recently lost my checked in bag while flying from Washington DC --> Frankfurt --> New Delhi through lufthansa.

I filed a complaint at the Delhi airport and they immediately paid me 4000 INR (~100 USD). Now a month has been passed and they couldn't find my bag. They have asked me to send receipts for the contents of my bag for the settlement. My bag had clothes/gift items/books etc. but I don't have the receipts excepts for some items.

Could anyone please suggest what should I do? I can provide them the estimate of some items (books/phone charger) through online links but I don't have the receipts of the items that I bought in last 2 years.

Thanks for the help.

Anurag
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by anuragn
Could anyone please suggest what should I do? I can provide them the estimate of some items (books/phone charger) through online links but I don't have the receipts of the items that I bought in last 2 years. ...
Understandable.

Best you can do is list the items, your best guesses as to the date you purchased them and the purchase price. (Credit card statements may assist.)

Generally it is still up to the airline to prove that you did not have said item in your luggage.

Also, don't forget to include the price details for the actual suitcase/bag that was lost.

Remember the limit of liability under the "Montreal Convention" is XDR1000 (~USD1570).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.