Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:59 am

Yes I know but sometimes You must check bag I always have spare things in cabin bag..
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Garimi
Long story short

SQ lost my bag I made some purchases and use credit card insurance for part of it, but inside bag was also to valued items designer shoes, jacket and also bag cost over 200usd
can I claim both things from airline (necessary purchases - compensation from credit card , items inside bag) or not ?

I got this answer from airline
flight was from UK where I'm based if its mater....and flight was when we where in EU....not any more
"Thank you for your email.

If we may clarify, you may only submit one claim to the airline: either for the items purchased or for the missing bag.

Informatively it is in the passenger’s interest to ensure that the documentation submitted is complete and the information provided is true and correct.

Passengers are required to sign the baggage claim form to declare that all the foregoing information is accurate.

As you have submitted your claim on the baggage claim form for the items purchased we have considered this claim.

Therefore, we would suggest you pursue any further claims with your travel insurers.

Kind regards"
As your flight was from UK you are covered by Montreal Convention - the slightly more generous one.

If the bag has been lost for more than 21 days it is considered lost. If less than 21 days have passed it is still just considered delayed.

Once 21 days have passed SQ will be liable upto SDR1,131 (about EUR1400). You will have to provide a detailed inventory of what was lost and your claim will be calculated.

If you have travel insurance it may be best to claim directly from them, particularly if the value of lost items exceeds EUR1,400.

No airline will generally pay out more in the case of lost luggage than what they have to under ICAO conventions.

​​​​​
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:11 pm

My question is can I get money from airline for
Essential purchases and for what was inside bags (if I provide receipts for items?

I know about convention but Airline is on position what I can only take money for one not both....
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Probably not as you say flight was from UK where you are based.

If you are based in UK the airline would expect you to have clothes and toiletries at home.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:22 pm

Bag was missing in MEL quite far far away from LHR where is me home....next time I will take couch to pick up clothes from home....
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Nhilar
I will never check a bag unless I absolutely have to. The airlines don't really care about your stuff and there is no real practical way to enforce the laws that are on the books, at least for US passengers.
I don't know why the USA is different, but I look at lost or delayed bags as an excellent opportunity to buy new stuff at the airline's or insurance company's expense.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by cargueiro
As your flight was from UK you are covered by Montreal Convention - the slightly more generous one.

If the bag has been lost for more than 21 days it is considered lost. If less than 21 days have passed it is still just considered delayed.

Once 21 days have passed SQ will be liable upto SDR1,131 (about EUR1400). You will have to provide a detailed inventory of what was lost and your claim will be calculated.

If you have travel insurance it may be best to claim directly from them, particularly if the value of lost items exceeds EUR1,400.

No airline will generally pay out more in the case of lost luggage than what they have to under ICAO conventions.

​​​​​

That was increased to 1 288 SDR on December 28, 2019
https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ve-december-28

The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Resurrectiing a very old thread.

Just had a pretty disastrous journey MAN - SIN- KUL with AY

3 bags delivered 22 hours late - one totally wrecked, one damaged probably beyond repair - and one torn but probably repairable.

Expensive luggage - very good but not ultraa lux..

Researching it seems I'm likely to be offered a 10% reduction per year of age?

BUT - here is the rub

Two of these cases are 4/5 years old

Covid?

Checking the history they have made only 3 single journeys and still have the warranties and some original packaging attached. They look/looked like new before clearly being thrown froma great height!

I can just about accept the 20/30% discount on purchase price. But 50 will be unacceptable.

Hence this post - any experience post Covid 2 year+ hiatus of received settlement offers.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:07 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
question:
award ticket
yyj-yvr-tpe-dps.
yyj-yvr was ac
yvr-tpe-dps was eva air
luggage did not arrive in dps
the forwarding message/origin of delay was in yvr

i had to buy sunscreen, shorts, a t shirt, and a hat.

i paid for the taxes on this flight on a not so great credit card so i cannot claim insurance with them

who do i claim montreal convention delayed luggage compensation with? air canada or eva air?

thank you
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:24 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Modo
Resurrectiing a very old thread.

Just had a pretty disastrous journey MAN - SIN- KUL with AY

3 bags delivered 22 hours late - one totally wrecked, one damaged probably beyond repair - and one torn but probably repairable.

Expensive luggage - very good but not ultraa lux..

Researching it seems I'm likely to be offered a 10% reduction per year of age?

BUT - here is the rub

Two of these cases are 4/5 years old

Covid?

Checking the history they have made only 3 single journeys and still have the warranties and some original packaging attached. They look/looked like new before clearly being thrown froma great height!

I can just about accept the 20/30% discount on purchase price. But 50 will be unacceptable.

Hence this post - any experience post Covid 2 year+ hiatus of received settlement offers.
Montreal Convention is Montreal Convention. EC261 is EC261. I have no clue what the flu could have done to change that.

If your luggage was presented to the airline intact and it was delivered to you damaged, the airline has to fix it PERIOT If they can't fix it then they have to replace it PERIOT I assume FinnAir is EC261 eligible so use the flow chart here:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm

I have never heard anything in my life about luggage depreciation. What source(s) did you find this information from?

If you have fancy luggage then I assume you have a good credit card with good insurance so consult them first. Much easier than dealing with European corporate customer relations.

If it's not EC261 and assuming origin and destination countries ratified the Montreal Convention then Montreal Convention applies.

Being less than loyal to you the customer let alone the law or tready and saying that depreciation or the flu has caused the laws to no longer apply is a common trick. So is the "you are entitled 1000 under law but we will give you 600. do you accept?" line. And so is the "the missing wheels or ripped off handle is wear and tear" line adored by all baggage agents of EU airlines. Just be consistent and insist on what you are entitled and nothing less. And keep it simple. Considering inflation and that a replacement bag has probably appreciated in value since 2018, I am sorta curious why you'd want cash instead of a replacement bag but that is none of my business
Old Apr 13, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
Pretty unusual story

Let me lay it out.

I just returned from Taiwan trip. My return itinerary was as follows:

TSA--HAN---DFW--FLL. The ticket was purchased from Expedia on JAL, but only TSA--HAN was on JAL metal. The other 2 were on AA, in Premium Economy. Basically purchased PE to get 70% mileage award on Alaska.

In TSA, I checked 3 flags wrapped together (looked like ski poles) through to my final destination. They were gifts and I have no receipts.

Upon arriving at US Customs in DFW, I waited patiently for my flags (the rest of my luggage was carry on). It never arrived and the AA luggage rep said to make my claim at my final destination (FLL), which I did. Is AA responsible for my luggage or JAL? AA told me to call JAL, and DFW and HAN airports.

I was given a claim no. and advised to go to AA.com/baggage or where'smysuitcase.com. Tonight will be 72 hours. What's my next step?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
Still Waiting tomorrow is 10 days

Originally Posted by SoFlaFlyer737
Let me lay it out.

I just returned from Taiwan trip. My return itinerary was as follows:

TSA--HAN---DFW--FLL. The ticket was purchased from Expedia on JAL, but only TSA--HAN was on JAL metal. The other 2 were on AA, in Premium Economy. Basically purchased PE to get 70% mileage award on Alaska.

In TSA, I checked 3 flags wrapped together (looked like ski poles) through to my final destination. They were gifts and I have no receipts.

Upon arriving at US Customs in DFW, I waited patiently for my flags (the rest of my luggage was carry on). It never arrived and the AA luggage rep said to make my claim at my final destination (FLL), which I did. Is AA responsible for my luggage or JAL? AA told me to call JAL, and DFW and HAN airports.

I was given a claim no. and advised to go to AA.com/baggage or where'smysuitcase.com. Tonight will be 72 hours. What's my next step?
Am I entitled to some compensation from AA for the delay? Or is my claim against JAL?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Does anyone know how AY/Dolfi handles broken luggage in Germany? My bag was broken after yesterdays flight, it is pretty new, I used it the second time, the handle is ripped off. I bought it for 200€++ have no receipt. And don t want to waste my time with callcenters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.