Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yesterday was flying CPH - MUC (SK) - YYZ (LH) - IAD (UA). My bag was tagged all the way to IAD. When I got to YYZ due to a late arriving flight I misconnected onto the IAD flight (ironically it was delayed and had they let me get my BP and go through immigration I would've made it).

UA re-routed me onto AC from YYZ - DCA. While I was at the UA desk they called down to baggage, provided them the tag number, and asked them to re-tag it to the YYZ - DCA flight. I went over to AC to get my new BP (so I could clear US CBP). They verified the tag number and sent me on my way. My name appeared on "step 2" which suggests that my bag had cleared customs.

Eight hours later when I landed at DCA my bag did not make it. I submitted a claim at the airport and was given a claim number. Trying to get ahead of things and find out what coverage I have if they do not find it (so far AC has blamed UA but given that my bag cleared customs at YYZ, AC clearly had the bag since my new BP had already been issued for the AC flight).
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:14 am

Bag Stolen at ATL

Yesterday July 12. Saw handlers offload my bag from my seat prior to deplaning. Priority so one of the first bags on Carousel 9 in South Terminal at ATL. Thief probably took the bag and headed to MARTA train or otherwise out of the terminal hoping bags beat passengers to the Carousel as it is way down on the end. No Security at all in ATL Delta Baggage claim. You can walk in, grab any bag and your on your way. Claim filed.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
BA delayed bags by 14 and 18 days - compensation?

Hi All - my wife and kids flew AA from DFW-LHR on June 25th and BA from LHR-BLR (Benguluru, India) connection on June 26th. All 6 bags were checked. When they arrived in BLR on June 27th early hours, none of the bags made it to BLR and they were told that the technical issue at LHR was to blame.

The bags arrived in Indian airports on July 1st and 2nd but no effort was made to deliver the bags. After repeated requests and finally posting messages on Twitter and including CNN, BBC etc did someone from BA take notice and contacted us and arranged for 3 bags to be delivered at the airport on July 11th and 3 more on July 14th.

In the interim we had to buy all our clothing, essentials, and also since we were attending a wedding, all fine clothing were also purchased.

In addition to that, there were some medication that my wife uses being a Leukemia patient was also purchased (approx. cost $1000).

Long story short, this is our first time when baggage has been delayed by so long. So what kind of compensation can we expect? Can we rightfully expect all our expenses genuinely incurred to be reimbursed including medical bills?

Would it make more sense to engage the services of a lawyer?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Quick update and request for advice

Eight months on (!!), we still haven't received an agreement with Hainan. We were asked to submit receipts for all items that were lost. This wasn't entirely possible, although some receipts were found, as well as non-itemized CC bills...

This was followed by radio silence and eventually I got through to someone yesterday, who suggested I re-send an email. We received a response today, saying that they could only "verify" about $350 of receipts to match with the claimed lost items...so will only refund that amount.

I obviously want to submit a robust response. One avenue I want to explore, but have no personal experience with is whether, if a satisfactory resolution is not reached, can my in-laws submit a claim to a small claims court? They are based in MN, the loss occurred at ORD as far as anyone is aware. Clearly, Hainan Airlines is HQ'd in China.

Do any FTers have any suggestions and advice?

thanks,

tb
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:59 pm

Damaged suitcase offer

On the return leg of a SFO-MNL flight, Philippine Airlines damaged my suitcase. I reported the damage, a 4" tear on the front of the bag, at SFO. They offered $80 for a 1-1/2 year old bag that cost $120. Their justification for the amount was the Warsaw Convention that limits their responsibility to $20/kilo for the weight of the suitcase itself. I would like them to replace/repair the bag, but should I just accept their offer?

Thanks,
Torroze
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by torroze
On the return leg of a SFO-MNL flight, Philippine Airlines damaged my suitcase. I reported the damage, a 4" tear on the front of the bag, at SFO. They offered $80 for a 1-1/2 year old bag that cost $120. Their justification for the amount was the Warsaw Convention that limits their responsibility to $20/kilo for the weight of the suitcase itself. I would like them to replace/repair the bag, but should I just accept their offer?

Thanks,
Torroze
2/3 of the original cost of a bag that is 1 1/2 years old? Seems more than fair to me. You could probably buy a used bag at a flea market or used clothing store for $20.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
2/3 of the original cost of a bag that is 1 1/2 years old? Seems more than fair to me. You could probably buy a used bag at a flea market or used clothing store for $20.
Thanks for the reply. I should be happy they weren't difficult about it.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:02 am

Hello ppl,

long-time reader, 1st time poster here.

With my three friends we were flying from Lima (Peru) through Guayaquil (Ecuador) to Madrid (Spain), and all our luggage was lost/delayed during those flights.

To describe the full situation:

- We arrived to Madrid on 26th December
- We were told that they don't know where the luggage is, since the system is not working
- we filled in the irregularity report, but agreed that they will contact us before they send us the luggage (the situation is complicated, 2 of us travelled in spain for 10 days before returning home to Slovakia and then moving on to Latvia/Czech rep., one went to celebrate New Year's in Berlin and then move to Slovakia and the last went home to Germany, but travelled further right after)
- on January 2nd we received a message that our luggage was found and is heading to Madrid
- on the next day we contacted them and agreed to send the luggage of 2 of us to and address at Bratislava, Slovakia (the others also made calls etc.)
- on January 6th I called them again, and they told me that the luggage of two of us is still in Madrid, since there was no flight to take it to Bratislava (well, the only connection Madrid-Bratislava is with Ryanair). But they will do their best to ship it to Slovakia ASAP
- on January 7th I received an email informing me, that my luggage is in Madrid and that I should provide a delivery address (this was given already on Dec 26th and agreed on on Jan 3rd).
- on Jan 8th I wasn't able to reach them despite ringing there for long time several times
- on Jan 9th I finally reached them and they told me, that our luggage is still there but they will do their best to send us the luggage ASAP

I mean, ...?! What should we do as next steps? We kept the receipts of the thing we have bought, although it's not too much in value (approx. 120-150€ each). But are they gonna get away with keeping our luggage for such a long period just to their dumbness and inability to simply ship it via DHL or something?

Thanks for your help in advance
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mojo007
Hello ppl,

long-time reader, 1st time poster here.

With my three friends we were flying from Lima (Peru) through Guayaquil (Ecuador) to Madrid (Spain), and all our luggage was lost/delayed during those flights.

To describe the full situation:

- We arrived to Madrid on 26th December
- We were told that they don't know where the luggage is, since the system is not working
- we filled in the irregularity report, but agreed that they will contact us before they send us the luggage (the situation is complicated, 2 of us travelled in spain for 10 days before returning home to Slovakia and then moving on to Latvia/Czech rep., one went to celebrate New Year's in Berlin and then move to Slovakia and the last went home to Germany, but travelled further right after)
- on January 2nd we received a message that our luggage was found and is heading to Madrid
- on the next day we contacted them and agreed to send the luggage of 2 of us to and address at Bratislava, Slovakia (the others also made calls etc.)
- on January 6th I called them again, and they told me that the luggage of two of us is still in Madrid, since there was no flight to take it to Bratislava (well, the only connection Madrid-Bratislava is with Ryanair). But they will do their best to ship it to Slovakia ASAP
- on January 7th I received an email informing me, that my luggage is in Madrid and that I should provide a delivery address (this was given already on Dec 26th and agreed on on Jan 3rd).
- on Jan 8th I wasn't able to reach them despite ringing there for long time several times
- on Jan 9th I finally reached them and they told me, that our luggage is still there but they will do their best to send us the luggage ASAP

I mean, ...?! What should we do as next steps? We kept the receipts of the thing we have bought, although it's not too much in value (approx. 120-150€ each). But are they gonna get away with keeping our luggage for such a long period just to their dumbness and inability to simply ship it via DHL or something?

Thanks for your help in advance
You can claim for everything in the suitcase; even if you get it back. The Montreal convention states a bag missing for more than 2 weeks is considered totally lost; even if the airline gets it back to you
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:22 pm

Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice on a one way flight taken with my family a couple of days ago from BLL-CPH-DOH. My husband's bag was and still is lost. We arrive in Doha and our 2 other cases, car seat and stroller are there but not my bag with all his clothes! (next time he's going to put some of his clothes in my bag)
Anyway, we have a sneaking suspicion that the check in desk at Billund airport (read, small small airport, rural denmark) stuffed up. First it seemed she didn't know where our end destination was, she forgot to give us luggage tags for our records and didn't even give our passports back to us... rookie maybe.
Well Qatar Airways told my husband on arrival that he wasn't entitled to any compensation because he got 4 out of the 5 checked items booked under his name (even though we didn't ask for all the luggage to be booked under his ticket) (doesn't seem right to me?!?!) even if the other stuff was mostly for our 2 year old.
He has had to buy new clothes and work gear as he starts new job tomorrow..
Apparently he'll get about 300 USD after 100 days on the Montreal convention. Is that right? I really don't see why he shouldn't immediately get reimbursed for things he has had to buy (not to mention I had some of my jewellery in his suitcase )
What is the likelyhood that his case will ever be found??

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotta give Virgin Atlantic their propers on this one.

Checked in at CDG for our flight back to the US, changed at LHR. All checked bags (total 4) came through except a box of chocolates received as a gift; that one British Airways failed to get onto their initial flight. BA luggage service utterly unhelpful, basically transferring us from one desk to another with no help.

Called VA, who really had nothing to do with BA's failure; they found the box and had it couriered to our home in Ohio (flight was to DTW). Outstanding service. We'll fly Virgin again, I guarantee.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by varnav
Delta lost my large, purple, 40 lbs bag on flight from DTW to LGA.
21 jan flight was canceled, I was rebooked to 23 jan flight, but bag was sent on 22 jan flight, and, according to tracking, it was in the LGA baggage office on 22 jan about 5 pm.
This was last time anything was known about the bag.

It's 11 feb now, I have filed detailed claim form and waiting for them to review it.

But I still can't understand how large, easily spotted, unusually colored bag can disappear from baggage office with no trace.
I see this is your first post. Welcome to Flyertalk!

Hope everything worked out for you.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:28 pm

Delayed bags on AC ticket, Austrian leg

So I had a connection today from YYZ-CDG-VIE-PRG, and my bags and my partners were left behind in VIE. At this point, they think they will arrive tomorrow but we're still checking. Based on my understanding of this thread. Austrian is liable based on the Montreal Convention for up to 1000 XDR, and they will reimburse 50% of what I spend.

Do I just go out and buy some clothes and keep the receipts? Where do I file the claim afterwards? I did report the stuff lost at the airport, but didn't receive any compensation on arrival in Cash. I'm A3G status if that makes a difference. Advice much appreciated
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:59 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Two months ago, one of my checked bags on a CGK-NRT JL flight arrived displeased.
I went to the JL baggage office in the arrivals hall of T2, and fifteen minutes later, I received a few thousand yen for the trouble.

That was by far, the least dolorous experience I've had dealing with Japanese paperwork/bureaucracy.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When it comes to checked baggage claims covered under the relevant Montreal Convention, United often tries to low ball customers and demand or deny things for claim in a way that doesn't necessarily align with abiding by the Montreal Convention.

If you feel United Airlines has cut you too small a check vis-a-vis your claim, then file again with United about their shorting you and complain to the U.S. DOT.

Often they try to get away with claiming that even unused clothes recently purchased should only be covered at some discounted value rather than the actual replacement value that makes the consumer whole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.