Wiki Posts
Search

RE: Is This Fair?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2004, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA,NW,CO,AQ,HA

Last March I flew NZ Business Class from LAX SYD RT. Prior to my outbound flight, I called res to confirm my seats, and reminded them that I would like to have a wheelchair available between gates. The res lady was indignant, and questioned my needs. I told her that I had MS, and my legs were a little weak to walk the distances sometimes required for gate changes. She told me spell the "MS", which I did. Then she rudely said I needed a physicians' slip in order to fly! I was appalled, and thanked her as I hung up.

Everything was going well with the seats that were assigned, and the wheelchairs were always there. The Air NZ folks in the Lounge were very gracious, and I was assured I had the bulkhead seat again on the AKL LAX route. As they boarded the masses, I asked the male FA where 07K was. He pointed to the stairs, and told me that I had to take my seat before he could change it. The masses were pushing me towards the stairs, and I wondered how I would ever manage that steep climb! No FA's around, I put my larger carry-on around my neck, and the smaller one I dragged with my teeth. Up the stairs I crawled, one by one on my hands and knees, finally reaching the top. No FA's in sight. My pants are ripped, but I managed to walk to my "bulkhead seat".

After writing to the CEO of Air NZ explaining my dismay, he eventually wrote back apologizing for the inconvenience, and offered my money back.

As a side note to this scenario, I'm 60 years old, love traveling, and don't expect anything special or dramatic in my life. But, with this latest travel experience, do you have any thoughts about the CEO's offer, or should I just grab it and run? Thank you for your input.
Old May 13, 2004, 2:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Do I understand you right? He offered you the money back? The whole fare or just a hundred $ ?

In my opinion, if he offered you your money back, that means the whole fare. If this is correct, then grab it ASAP as this would probably be the best you'll ever get as far as apologies are concerned. With most airlines you'd just get a standard typed answer with a $ 20 to $100 shopping coupon at the most.

Sorry for your bad experience. Next time anything like that happens, just stay put right where you are. You'll be blocking everyone and they'll soon attend to your needs and make it clear YOU CANNOT GET UP THOSE STAIRS... They'll find you a temporary seat in a jiffy, believe me.
Old May 13, 2004, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

TO: MAGEXPECT

Thank you for responding to my plea......the NZ CEO offered to refund my tkt to my CC. But, I bought the tkt thru a bulk broker, and the receipt only shows the taxes. So, I don't know yet whether he intends to refund the full amount, or only the tax? Incidentally, in my letter, I requested 2 FC tkts, with the explanation that my husband can help me next time we fly to SYD. The CEO said that he couldn't acquire two FC tkts (what?????), but that he would refund my money. We'll see if it's a hundred, or 3000+ that's credited to my CC.
Thank you again, MAGEXPECT, but I can't accept your apology because you didn't do anything wrong.......I appreciate your kindness, though. Sydny
Old May 14, 2004, 12:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Hello,

Thank you for answering. Please do not forget to let me know what happens. I am sincerely curious. If it ends up with just a paltry sum, let me know.
I always have appreciated flying with Air NZ although I fly more with QF at present.

I am confused: the CEO, is he from Air NZ or the broker?

Don't be surprised, some brokers don't deal in FC tickets at all. Some cater only to the "masses".

I wish you luck and I'll keep fingers crossed.
Old May 14, 2004, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sydny
After writing to the CEO of Air NZ explaining my dismay, he eventually wrote back apologizing for the inconvenience, and offered my money back.

As a side note to this scenario, I'm 60 years old, love traveling, and don't expect anything special or dramatic in my life. But, with this latest travel experience, do you have any thoughts about the CEO's offer, or should I just grab it and run? Thank you for your input.
I'm also sorry to read about this experience, which sounds like it was truly awful for you.

If I've understood you correctly, the offer is coming from Air New Zealand, and is for a complete refund of the price you paid for the ticket in addition to the apology that you've had from the CEO? If that's right, then (IMHO) it sounds like a fair offer. It feels like it's been pitched at the correct level - generous and magnanimous without either being condescending or excessive. I would be surprised if, having made such an offer, the airline then started playing silly games over the the price you paid - they must know that you can demonstrate how much you paid the broker for the ticket.
Old May 14, 2004, 8:02 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I second the person who replied, "Ask for help".

Do not use your teeth to carry luggage or other non-eating purposes. Better to let everyone else by. Then to lift one suitcase one step at a time if you can. Better to let other passengers help you.

Ordinarily you should not carry on board luggage you would have difficulty maneuvering. Except there may be unexpected conditions such as the seat you described being upstairs, or the luggage contents may be unsuitable for checking.

Health tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/health.htm

By the way there are also rude people who take wheelchairs and who don't need them, just in order to board before other people. This causes problems like no wheelchairs for people who do need them. Thus the need to show proof you need a wheelchair.

Last edited by AllanJ; May 14, 2004 at 8:45 am
Old May 14, 2004, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

RE: Real

Answer to your confusion: Yes, indeed, that was the Air NZ honcho....I have no idea who the folks are at SkyAuction.

By the way, I will not forget to tell you the summation of this venture....you have been very supportive, and I thank you very much!

Sydny

Originally Posted by magexpect
Hello,

Thank you for answering. Please do not forget to let me know what happens. I am sincerely curious. If it ends up with just a paltry sum, let me know.
I always have appreciated flying with Air NZ although I fly more with QF at present.

I am confused: the CEO, is he from Air NZ or the broker?

Don't be surprised, some brokers don't deal in FC tickets at all. Some cater only to the "masses".

I wish you luck and I'll keep fingers crossed.
Old May 22, 2004, 10:14 am
Original Poster

RE: Epilogue to "Is This Fair"

Just as I was packing for my trip to ROC, I checked my bank balances via the internet, and sure enough, there was a major credit on my CC......as promised by AirNZ! It was the exact amount, and I was very grateful writing my thank you note to the CEO.

So, the moral of the story is: TURBO TO THE TOP when disaster strikes, especially when there are questions to be answered!

It's nice to know that fairness survives, but honestly, I would have LOVED to have the FC tickets! Nevertheless, the CEO offered his deepest apologies, and to please schedule another trip Down Under using AirNZ again.

Thanks to you Magexpect, for your support and suggestions with my demise, and you asked me to tell you what the up-shot was with this story. Now you have it, but I hope we don't lose touch just because the story ended?

Aloha,
Sydny - ITO
Old May 23, 2004, 6:40 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
It's so nice to see that you have been able to remain "Sunny" Sydny

I'm not sure I could have done so myself in the same situation. Glad to hear that you were reasonably compensated for your discomfort.

As others have noted, next time, take advantage of one great benefit that comes with age, and that's the right to be cantankerous! Stop right in the middle of the aisle until they solve their problem should anyone ever put you in a position like that again.

Hopefully, though, your future travels will go much more smoothly. Enjoy seeing the world!

I was going to say welcome to FlyerTalk, but it looks like you've been with us for about a year! And only 10 posts? :tsk-tsk: You need to share with us some of the nicer stories of your world travels.

Last edited by robb; May 23, 2004 at 6:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.