Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:49 pm

737-Max 8 safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Doddles

I hope this post doesn't come across as snarky - not my intention and I do appreciate your comments and perspective.
Mission not accomplished.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Once it's overridden, it's down to brute strength to manually re-trim. As has been shown, this is impossible once a certain speed is reached.
In the memory items (completely quickly from memory) in both the UNRELIABLE AIRSPEED and STABILIZER RUNAWAY checklists are steps to disengage the autothrottles. This keeps you from getting into such a high-speed condition that you can't manually operate the stabilizer without unloading.

In the memory items for STABILIZER RUNAWAY is a step to use the stab trim cutout switches to stop the runaway. This stops the runaway before it gets to the full nose-down position that, coupled with excessive airspeed, puts you in a situation where unloading is needed to manual trim the stabilizer.

Neither of the accident crews properly applied the existing emergency procedures and their failure to do so made their situations much more difficult to handle.

The primary electric trim switches override MCAS activation and are fully functional for returning the stabilizer to a trimmed-state after each MCAS activation. The Ethiopian Captain did this through 21 MCAS activations which would have taken roughly 2:30 to 3:00 minutes. This isn't a "procedures", it is what a pilot does everytime the airplane he's flying becomes out of trim. It happens many dozens of times on every flight.

Your response will probably be "they should have reduced speed"... but that would also have pushed the nose down, and at about 1000 feet, that's not exactly what you want.
My response is that they never should have allowed the airspeed to reach 390 knots; about 140-180 knots faster than they should have been at that point.

The nose-down moment from the full nose-down stabilizer at 390 knots far outweighs the nose-up moment produced by the engines at climb power. You are much better off with low airspeed and low engine thrust.

That sounds like an opinion presented as fact.
That is an opinion based on the facts that have been released up to this point. If new information is released then the opinion may change.

Certification standards are the minimums. Manufacturers exceed these minimums in most areas.

Aircraft systems are not only designed based on what crew *can* do - they're based on the human factors of what crew might *likely* do
Aircraft systems fail, sometimes in completely unexpected ways. When they do, us pilots have to find a way to address the problem and safely land the airplane.

Here's a question: If the Max is as safe as you say it definitely is, having passed all required certifications etc., and if safety is not regulated by emotion, why is the Max grounded and investigations ongoing about its safety?
The MAX was grounded (by the FAA) when the Ethiopian jackscrew was found in the full nose-down position. That established a strong link to the Lion Air accident before the unscheduled MCAS activation had been confirmed from DFDR data. Boeing had already sent information to operators, reminding crews of the proper existing procedures and describing additional accompanying symptoms, and started working on software changes.

The fact that Boeing had decided to make changes after the first accident does not mean that the original design did not meet certification standards. If it did not, the fleet would have been grounded months earlier. As of today, there still hasn't been any information released indicating that the original design failed to meet certification standards. Once the accident investigations are complete, a review of the certification standards may be undertaken.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I hope this post doesn't come across as snarky - not my intention and I do appreciate your comments and perspective.
Mission accomplished.
Doddles likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Um, as I understand it that was not an error in software, that was intentional to have only one AoA sensor for data, though there was a possibility to purchase an option where a second one was also sending info,
No, that's not what I'm referring to. Boeing thought the AOA disagree alert would operate in all cases (i.e., regardless of any optional features). This was not the case and Boeing was not aware of this fact until several months after deliveries began. Again, it goes to Boeing's thoroughness in its review processes to have not discovered that a feature did not operate as intended.

(And the option was for an AOA indicator.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/05/b...ing-light.html

When Boeing began delivering its 737 Max to customers in 2017, the company believed that a key cockpit warning light was a standard feature in all of the new jets.

But months after the planes were flying, company engineers realized that the warning light worked only on planes whose customers had bought a different, optional indicator.

In essence, that meant a safety feature that Boeing thought was standard was actually a premium add-on.

Boeing detailed its initial confusion about the warning light in a statement released on Sunday, adding new details to what was already known about the flawed design and introduction of the 737 Max, its best-selling jetliner.
More news, none of which is particularly confidence-boosting...

Pilots union to Boeing: 'Inexcusable' to blame pilots for 737 Max crashes

Tajer also told CNN American Airlines pilots made several suggestions on how to improve the safety of the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) in a meeting with Boeing in November 2018, a few weeks after the October crash of Lion Air flight JT 610 in Indonesia and months before the Ethiopian Airlines crash in March. When asked if the Ethiopian crash might have been prevented if Boeing had taken action on the pilots' suggestions, Tajer said, "I think that's a fair conclusion." Boeing did not respond to CNN's request for comment.
FAA says there could be delay in Boeing 737 Max software fix

"If you said October I wouldn't even say that, only because we haven't finished determining exactly what the training requirements will be," [FAA chief Daniel] Elwell said, according to the BBC.
"If it takes a year to find everything we need to give us the confidence to lift the [grounding] order so be it," he added.
His comments came as representatives from dozens of nations met in Fort Worth, Texas, to discuss aviation regulations around the globe including the grounding of the 737 Max jet line.
The following is not about the MAX specifically, but an interesting read regarding issues within the FAA when it comes to oversight in general, which has been questioned regarding the MAX as well:

Inspectors say FAA pressures them to ignore critical plane problems: "The flying public needs to wake up"

Two Federal Aviation Administration inspectors – each with a decade of experience with the FAA – say they have an urgent message for U.S. travelers: "people's lives" could be at stake. They told CBS News "the flying public needs to wake up" and that people need to know flying "is not as safe as it could be." Both asked to remain anonymous because they fear losing their jobs for speaking out...

...A 2016 Inspector General's report echoes their concerns. It found that another FAA inspector, Charles Banks, was pressured to back off an airline then was punished by management. When reached by CBS News, Banks confirmed that he was punished by the FAA for filing reports of problems with Miami Air International.

Last edited by 84fiero; May 24, 2019 at 11:24 am
Old May 25, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL, LH, Marriott
One simple question: if the MCAS system original design had connected to, and would correlate the inputs from both AOA sensors vs. one, would any of this have happened?

Last edited by ian_btv; May 25, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old May 26, 2019, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by ian_btv
One simple question: if the MCAS system original design had connected to, and would correlate the inputs from both AOA sensors vs. one, would any of this have happened?
From my limited understanding, no.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: DL, LH, Marriott
Originally Posted by DanielW
From my limited understanding, no.
Boeing and the FAA need to identify the engineer(s) who implemented and management who signed-off on such a blatant violation of design standards - and logic.

Whoever ignored that redundancy is requisite to automated systems relying on mechanical sensor data - he or she does not deserve to be an engineer. How many hundreds, thousands, billions of such electro-mechanical links (or programming in logic circuitry) exist in aerospace engineering?

NO excuse - this is just plain stupidity.
84fiero and DanielW like this.

Last edited by ian_btv; May 27, 2019 at 7:16 am
Old May 26, 2019, 11:43 pm

From reddit n youtube

Old May 27, 2019, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ian_btv
That depends on the assumptions.

The question is this - what would the software do in the presence of conflicting information but at least ONE of which indicated an action threshold.

In a well designed automation software, it would alert the operator to request action-response. Then it would wait for an additional threshold (critical condition) before deciding to kick off automated action in the absence of operator-response. That means MCAS software would take AoA data as well as stall-warning data at the same time. AoA would be the action-threshold (risk) and the stall-warning would be the additional threshold (critical condition). In the presence of conflicting AoA data, no action would be taken unless stall alarms went off.

When it comes to the Boeing design team, I think it's certain that the first response (alert pilots) would NOT be triggered because the primary design criteria of MCAS appears to be absolute secrecy. That is to say, it's deliberately designed to be hidden from the operator, in essence malware hiding itself from audit.

Given that intent, I think that the MCAS software would have triggered even if there was AoA data conflict because a software team which created this package would have opted for pre-emptive action as the only way to maintain secrecy.

So my answer is... dual AoA input would still have led to the same outcome because the MCAS software design and QA teams were fundamentally less concerned about safety compared to Boeing's time-to-market needs.
ian_btv and 84fiero like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
That's a lot of inventory/cash sat right there.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Even the CEO of Boeing admits knowledge and mistakes in how this was handled, yet some are defending Boeing as though they are perfect. I'm beyond confused as to why some think this is ok.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-...orah-odonnell/
84fiero likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I'm beyond confused as to why some think this is ok.
Who said it was ok?
TWA884 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Who said it was ok?
Is that a serious question? I respect your views as I do with my fellow pilot friends, but trust has been lost, and Boeing screwed up. Here I am as a private pilot and I get nervous flying into COS from the south, with memories of what happened back in 91 with flight 585. I love and hate Boeing at the same time. Unless I misunderstood you and a few others, I was under the impression that the airplane is perfectly fine, and shame on the pilots for not dealing with it properly. I have dead friends (5 of them) that crashed in Sitka, AK many years ago. One month prior the owner installed new Garmin 430's in his 421. Thousands of hours of flying for him, and I was supposed to be on the airplane but I backed out for personal reasons minutes before departure. I will never know if me being onboard would have prevented the crash, or if I would have been victim # 6. Both accidents hit me personally, and as such I take flying a personal airplane or commercial very seriously.

I think and agree that you do as well, but sometimes the "blame the pilot and not the aircraft" doesn't sit well with me. The MAX has a flaw via software that was never communicated to anyone, and for that I will never forgive Boeing, despite my love of Boeing from the time I was a young child.
DenverBrian and 84fiero like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Unless I misunderstood you and a few others, I was under the impression that the airplane is perfectly fine, and shame on the pilots for not dealing with it properly.
+1
DenverBrian likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:16 pm

Unless I misunderstood you and a few others, I was under the impression that the airplane is perfectly fine, and shame on the pilots for not dealing with it properly.
If that's what you think, that you most certainly have misunderstood me.

Two completely separate issues.

1. Why did the unscheduled MCAS activations occur?

2. Why were two of the three properly trained and experienced crews unable to successfully land after the unscheduled MCAS activations?

The media, and almost all of the posters in these threads, are only interested in the first.
EmailKid, TWA884, ajGoes and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.