Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:49 pm

737-Max 8 safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bo...teid=rss&rss=1

Boeing Co. limited the role of its own pilots in the final stages of developing the 737 MAX flight-control system implicated in two fatal crashes, departing from a longstanding practice of seeking their detailed input, people familiar with the matter said...
It isn’t clear whether greater pilot participation would have altered the ultimate design of the flight-control system. But the scaling back of pilots’ involvement and their lack of detailed knowledge about the plane’s system add to the list of questions about engineering and design practices facing the Chicago-based aerospace giant.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by serfty
Much of this is already known but it does place many relevant facts together:

The many human errors that brought down the Boeing 737 Max - The Verge

Really good article, worth the 10 minutes it took to read.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I won't be flying the MAX until I see 6 month track record with zero incidents similar to the ones previously encountered. It is pretty clear that the 737 MAX is fundamentally different in terms of engineering than its predecessors, and thus Boeing's otherwise stellar track record is irrelevant to the discussion. I would have no hesitation to fly any prior Boeing (or Airbus) planes but no thanks on the MAX.

In fact I'd trust Engineer Scott (a fictional character) more than I'd trust Boeing: "Fool me once, jokes on you. Fool me twice..."
DenverBrian and 84fiero like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:56 am

Boeing stayed quiet about faulty 737 Max alert until after deadly crash

Boeing Co. knew months before a deadly 737 Max crash that a cockpit alert wasn’t working the way the company had told buyers of the single-aisle jetliner. But the plane maker didn’t share its findings with airlines or the Federal Aviation Administration until after a Lion Air plane went down off the coast of Indonesia in October, according to a Boeing statement Sunday as it provided additional details of an issue that first came to light last week...

...“The question I have is just like we asked them in Reno, ‘Is that all there is?’ That’s the biggest question,” said Jon Weaks, head of the Southwest Airlines Pilots Assn., referring to a meeting union leaders had with Boeing after the Lion Air crash. “It’s obviously troubling that here is something else Boeing didn’t get to us.”...

...The inactive alert was later deemed to be “low risk” by the FAA’s Corrective Action Review Board, the regulator said Sunday. “However, Boeing’s timely or earlier communication with the operators would have helped to reduce or eliminate possible confusion,” the FAA said.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA
The key reason why they wanted to avoid the "additional training" that has been regularly mentioned is not so much that it would not have been possible to get the crew time to do the training, more that there are few/no simulators yet built of the Max. So there is nowhere to do the training. So the aircraft could not have been used at all. This is why it was imperative for it to be presented as "just like an NG 800", so they could use the simulators in place for those.

It's also going to impact on any return to service. If they think that this can be done, regardless of any other issues or corrections, without any specific Max training for the crews, on proper facilities, they must believe in fairies.

It's extraordinary that the Boeing stock price is currently higher than it was in January. If one regulatory authority (and I might look initially to Canada here) decides that the quick fix is still not good enough then that is going to cascade around.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
The key reason why they wanted to avoid the "additional training" that has been regularly mentioned is not so much that it would not have been possible to get the crew time to do the training, more that there are few/no simulators yet built of the Max.
As someone elsewhere pointed out, this logic is the wrong way around.
The reason why there are so few simulators for the Max is because Boeing's strategy was to get the Max certified and sell the Max as not requiring additional simulator training. The simulators could and would have been built had it been accepted that they were needed.
ajGoes and Spanish like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Doddles
As someone elsewhere pointed out, this logic is the wrong way around.
The reason why there are so few simulators for the Max is because Boeing's strategy was to get the Max certified and sell the Max as not requiring additional simulator training. The simulators could and would have been built had it been accepted that they were needed.
True. But if sim time were required, the Max wouldn't have sold in such quantities. Boeing may now face having to supply sim time or even simulators F.O.C.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
True. But if sim time were required, the Max wouldn't have sold in such quantities.
Exactly! The point is, the key reason Boeing wanted to avoid the additional training wasn't the lack of simulators. It seems to have been a commercial decision so they could convince the airlines that their aircraft had lower startup costs. That might backfire. Sympathy for the airlines, but I'm sure they'll end up being compensated. No sympathy for Boeing if it pans out that way.

Boeing also seems to be taking a public relations gamble here, namely that the average passenger doesn't know and doesn't care what aircraft they're flying and/or doesn't understand enough of the details of this case for it to impact their assessment of Boeing. We'll see, but in this age of social media and flight review web sites, that seems like a big risk - the public is swayed by safety perception, not safety reality.
DenverBrian, osamede and 84fiero like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:48 pm

If it's Boeing, I aint' going

Honestly I can see ALL major countries' safety agencies looking VERY closely into whatever "fix" Boeing thinks will make the MAX airworthy.

The US American for obvious reasons not to lose any more face, the European one to prove they're independant (and a wee bit of support for Airbus won't hurt I guess) from the FAA, similar for the Canadian one (A220's is still basically a Canadian product), the Chinese who were the first one's to (rightfully!) ground the MAX certainly will make sure the aircraft is working as it should. In fact I could see the Russians (due to the fact that they want to make Trump "look strong") being the only ones that might give the MAX a slightly easier time.

This has become obviously a political case too (and since we aren't in OMNI/PR I'll not further go into that) so Boeing needs to be very careful. They'll certainly not go out of business over this, but the mid- to long-term consequences could be rather brutal for them (once COMAC basically fully catched up, a weakened Boeing could be relegated to #2 status aside them and clearly behind Airbus)
84fiero likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Doddles

Boeing also seems to be taking a public relations gamble here, namely that the average passenger doesn't know and doesn't care what aircraft they're flying and/or doesn't understand enough of the details of this case for it to impact their assessment of Boeing. We'll see, but in this age of social media and flight review web sites, that seems like a big risk - the public is swayed by safety perception, not safety reality.
There are a lot of moving parts to the situation that I think will continue to influence public perception for some time - the final accident report remains to be issued (I think?); recertification to fly from the FAA and other nations' equivalents has yet to happen; Congressional inquiries are occurring; a criminal investigation by the Dept of Justice is underway; an audit by the Dept of Transportation Inspector General is taking place; lawsuits have been or will be filed by relatives of the crash victims. The information that flows from all of those activities, and their final results, will certainly inform public sentiment.

As you noted, in today's world it's much easier for a subject to be discussed and remain in the public's mind than it used to be. Anecdotally, I know a number of people who are either vowing to never fly on a 737 MAX or very skeptical about its safety...in past accidents I've not experienced that with my circle of friends/family/etc, especially not this long after the accident. Whether those folks' opinions later change or not, who knows - some will, some won't - but I think it depends on what transpires.

Personally, I will wait to see when more definitive information and results come out from the things I mentioned above before making any decision to avoid or not avoid the MAX. I do feel that so far, as far as initial impressions from the reporting so far, Boeing isn't doing very well in my mind, regarding its conduct in certain aspects of the design, certification, and fielding of the aircraft. I'll do my best to keep an open mind as more info and 3rd-party reviews/analysis/investigations play out.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If it's Boeing, I aint' going

Honestly I can see ALL major countries' safety agencies looking VERY closely into whatever "fix" Boeing thinks will make the MAX airworthy.

The US American for obvious reasons not to lose any more face, the European one to prove they're independant (and a wee bit of support for Airbus won't hurt I guess) from the FAA, similar for the Canadian one (A220's is still basically a Canadian product), the Chinese who were the first one's to (rightfully!) ground the MAX certainly will make sure the aircraft is working as it should. In fact I could see the Russians (due to the fact that they want to make Trump "look strong") being the only ones that might give the MAX a slightly easier time.

This has become obviously a political case too (and since we aren't in OMNI/PR I'll not further go into that) so Boeing needs to be very careful. They'll certainly not go out of business over this, but the mid- to long-term consequences could be rather brutal for them (once COMAC basically fully catched up, a weakened Boeing could be relegated to #2 status aside them and clearly behind Airbus)
Speaking of which, the FAA is bringing in experts that weren't part of the initial certification to review Boeing's fix: https://amp.businessinsider.com/boei...are-fix-2019-5

Whether that will help fix the FAA's damaged reputation? We'll see.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:28 am

I expect China to fully use this situation as a leverage for Huawei & the tariffs.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I expect China to fully use this situation as a leverage for Huawei & the tariffs.
Besides that nothing has happened so far regarding TWOV that would point into this direction at all?
Old May 17, 2019, 11:31 am

Boeing is saying that the MCAS issue is resolved.

Maybe its just me . But how is all talks on the MCAS system and all scrutiny is on the MCAS system and there is no focus on the AOA sensors that in both crashes was malfunctioning. Im in the Aviation industry but im not a commercial pilot. However im concerned about these airplanes flying again with these AOA sensors that may be defective on these type of airplanes. I saw the readings AOA readings on both airplanes and it is very abnormal readings given the fact that the airplane in both cases was into a normal climb.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Ganga1973
But how is all talks on the MCAS system and all scrutiny is on the MCAS system and there is no focus on the AOA sensors that in both crashes was malfunctioning.
The AoA sensor on the Lion Air airplane failed. The AoA sensor on the Ethiopian airplane was apparently damaged by an impact, likely a bird strike, which detached the vane. There is no common link between the two failures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.