Wiki Posts
Search

Opinion on deplaning etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few
Opinion on deplaning etiquette?

I was on a DL flight the other day and watched some drama unfold; kinda curious to hear what FT folks might think:

FC was deplaning normally, folks in the first row of C+ were standing up and grabbing their bags and getting ready to move up, at the same time, a couple that were a few rows aft of C+ had made their way up to the front of C+ and were trying to push past everyone in the aisle.

One large man (in the first row, right side of C+) was in the aisle grabbing his bag from the overhead when the pushy couple literally tried to push him forward - it was evident that he wasn't having any of that and didn't budge. I heard the pushy young lady comment to her partner that "Some people are just rude".

After the big guy grabs his bags, he backs up a bit into the pushy couple to let the guy across the aisle from him out to get out and grab his bags... that didn't go over well

So pushy couple decides they're going to push past as the guy in the left row is getting up, but as he gets up, he blocks their path and now they're really upset.

I happened to be the next row behind them as they deplaned; they made all sorts of passive aggressive come ta the whole way, comments about being rude, entitlement, holding up the line, being fat enough to take up the whole aisle, etc, etc

I was shocked, but figured it would make for an interesting topic on FT....

So what do y'all think?
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
For one, it's not DL specific and probably headed to some other land.

2 - Screw the couple pushing past, but I wasn't there so can't really say the blocker wasn't also being a passive aggressive d-bag. Like speeders on the highway, you don't know why they're behind you flashing their lights even though you're already in the left lane speeding. Maybe the couple had a tight connection and lacked the social skills to say so. No way to know.
Silver Fox, MimiB22 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:04 am

If passengers have a reason to get off quickly (e.g., tight connection, emergency, etc.), it is up to them to politely explain their situation and ask those ahead if they would mind letting them proceed. Most of the time, other passengers will understand the request and let them advance. It's a matter of communication and common courtesy. And of course, a genuine "thank you" once the request is granted should also be part of the mix. All of this seem to have been lacking in the OP's story.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Please try to keep it civil and focused on Delta, lest this be headed to OMNI. Regrettably, stories of rudeness from U.S. passengers are not rare.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Please try to keep it civil and focused on Delta, lest this be headed to OMNI. Regrettably, stories of rudeness from U.S. passengers are not rare.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
Is there any evidence that the supposedly rude people in the OP's story are USA citizens or USA residents? People of any nationality can be rude and it seems unfair to generalize about an entire country.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Auston
If passengers have a reason to get off quickly (e.g., tight connection, emergency, etc.), it is up to them to politely explain their situation and ask those ahead if they would mind letting them proceed. Most of the time, other passengers will understand the request and let them advance. It's a matter of communication and common courtesy. And of course, a genuine "thank you" once the request is granted should also be part of the mix. All of this seem to have been lacking in the OP's story.
The other word that should be underlined is "ask". Perhaps the people further up in C+ also have a tight connection, too.

​​​​​​I've been asked before only to find the "tight connection" folks waiting with me at my next gate 20 min later. Maybe they were feeling claustrophobic. Whatever - if they asked with some degree of niceness I don't mind one bit. But if someone puts their hands on me and tries to push? They get a firm "please don't touch me or my things" and then summarily ignored.

Common courtesy is becoming fast friends with the dodo.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:22 am

Back to Delta ... I have seen the FAs handle this well, often making an announcement regarding the passengers needing to deplane quickly. People generally remain seated to allow them to get to the front of the cabin. I remember one time, a specific request due to a family emergency was made. I was seated in 1B and offered to swap my seat near the end of the flight to ensure the passenger could get off immediately. The gesture was graciously accepted and my good deed made me feel very good inside, knowing I had helped alleviate a fellow passenger's worries.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
The other word that should be underlined is "ask". Perhaps the people further up in C+ also have a tight connection, too.

​​​​​​I've been asked before only to find the "tight connection" folks waiting with me at my next gate 20 min later. Maybe they were feeling claustrophobic. Whatever - if they asked with some degree of niceness I don't mind one bit. But if someone puts their hands on me and tries to push? They get a firm "please don't touch me or my things" and then summarily ignored.

Common courtesy is becoming fast friends with the dodo.
People generally shouldn't touch strangers, but the norms on this can be different in different cultures. Some people seem to instinctively touch a person after bumping into the person accidentally or through carelessness as an attempt at what they think is a gesture of apology (but personally I hate when someone does this to me). They might also touch someone instead of making an oral request if they cannot speak the language that they assume/know the other person speaks.
Franky16 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:27 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
OP: Was the plane late arriving?

Not that it excuses blatant rudeness.... Just curious.

Last edited by davetravels; Jan 26, 2019 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there any evidence that the supposedly rude people in the OP's story are USA citizens or USA residents? People of any nationality can be rude and it seems unfair to generalize about an entire country.
Maybe they weren't Americans, and maybe it wasn't a U.S.-originating flight, but the majority of Delta's flights and RPMs originate in the U.S., hence my willingness to generalize.

Do you deny my statement that American flyers can be rude?
gooselee and GavinMansfield like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I was on a flight yesterday MLI-ATL, as we touched down, the FA asked everyone to stay seated and let about 5 people in the back to deplane first as they only had 30 mins to get to their connection. Most people did and the passangers were able to deplane fast. I was able to help a young lady get to their next gate. It was her first time in ATL and she didn't know how to get from D->B councourse. Her plane was boarding when we got on the plane train.
my good deed for the day.
ijkh, lasfloras, robomo and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:39 am

On the whole I've found American passengers better behaved than many other nationalities. I suppose if someone has a very limited or sheltered view and experience they might think US passengers are ruder than the few others they've encountered, a bit like all those people who moan about how racist/ violent etc the US is having never actually been anywhere else.
muji, polinka, esitver and 11 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I've found, by and large, that on my domestic flights people are much better about deplaning than boarding. They wait their turn in line and often there's a debate saying "you go first", "no you go." With that said, I did have an exception on MKE>LGA last month where a person of a certain generation we all love to mock, aggressively pushed through from Y through C+ and then to the front of F to deplane first. None of us were big enough to block the aisle and most of us were from WI so we really didn't care that much. It's a CR7 and there were gate checked bags. As I got off the plane, I saw her waiting for her gate checked bag. As I went by her I said "Did you literally just push past 15 people to stand in line waiting for a bag? Rude!" She didn't make eye contact or acknowledge me. And I wasn't overly hostile, more sarcastic and said in passing, though she definitely heard me as I saw her face go flush. Oh well, hopefully she don't do it again.
jsloan, dreidel, polinka and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
I normally stay seated until it is my rows turn to get off. Guy in middle was antsy and grumbling the entire time, and then completely lost it when I motioned for the row across to go first. He told me I was an ... and I must not fly very often. I thanked him and started to move into the aisle. This made him very angry and he snatched his bag from under the seat forcefully. It got caught on something and jerked him back into his seat. I smiled and said “karma” to him. He broke out laughing and apologized for being a butt head.
jsloan, Lehava, AFJon and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by bergamini
I've found, by and large, that on my domestic flights people are much better about deplaning than boarding. They wait their turn in line and often there's a debate saying "you go first", "no you go." With that said, I did have an exception on MKE>LGA last month where a person of a certain generation we all love to mock, aggressively pushed through from Y through C+ and then to the front of F to deplane first. None of us were big enough to block the aisle and most of us were from WI so we really didn't care that much. It's a CR7 and there were gate checked bags. As I got off the plane, I saw her waiting for her gate checked bag. As I went by her I said "Did you literally just push past 15 people to stand in line waiting for a bag? Rude!" She didn't make eye contact or acknowledge me. And I wasn't overly hostile, more sarcastic and said in passing, though she definitely heard me as I saw her face go flush. Oh well, hopefully she don't do it again.
Maybe she was an infrequent traveler who was forced unexpectedly to gate check the bag and then realized too late that it contained valuables, so that she wanted to be sure to be present when he bag was delivered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.