What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Landing in Mexico City, especially at night, is wonderful. Much cooler than even NYC.

I recall seeing Philadelphia Airport clearly flying DEN-LGA. That was cool. Also being able to recognize golf courses I played from the plane is cool.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Plat, SQ PPS
The Hale-Bopp comet right outside my window for what seemed like hours while flying ZRH-BKK in 1997.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

The tallest buildings in Downtown Chicago through cloud cover seen from an AA E75
Old May 12, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I've had a few:
1) Greenland during a LHR-LAX flight. The captain said it was rarely that clear.
2) flying around a hurricane in the Caribbean on a MIA-LIR flight. It was clear and sunny on our path, but the swirling clouds filled the sky to the east.
3) fireworks on New Years Eve over the US. If you fly east to west you get quite a few as the sun goes down.
4) Banking over the pyramids of Giza to line up for landing at CAI.

Old May 12, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Flying the northern route to Asia flying over glaciers on a cloudless, sunny day.

Landing at the old Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport in the upper deck of a 747. As you land the plane descends into a glidepath with high rise apartments on both sides. Seeing people walking around I their apartments.

+3 to landing at Laguardia on a beautiful fall day.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I was impressed by the size of Sao Paulo.
Huge to say the least. Stuck my nose to the window for a good 20 min on takeoff from GRU bound to IGU.
Just having a connection without visiting the city made it more amazing.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:32 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by closetasfan
Landing in Mexico City, especially at night, is wonderful. Much cooler than even NYC.
HKG to me is one of the best (for night) flights.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
I was impressed by the size of Sao Paulo.
Huge to say the least. Stuck my nose to the window for a good 20 min on takeoff from GRU bound to IGU.
Just having a connection without visiting the city made it more amazing.
That reminds me of a similar sight that impressed me. It was a night flight from CVG (Cincinnati) to DAY (Dayton International). Cincinnati's main airport is in Kentucky, across the Ohio river and southwest of Cincinnati. Dayton International is north of Dayton. The flight followed a line just northwest of most of the urban area. I hadn't realized till that night that the Dayton and Cincinnati municipal areas had pretty nearly merged. This was at least ten years ago. Their's very little visible open space between them nowadays.

But what really struck me was the size of the urban agglomeration, which went on and on as we followed a slow arc up and down. I live in the eastern periphery of the Dayton metropolitan area, in a place which would look to most Americans as pretty open country. Seen at night from above, it was plain that I'm a more urban person than I had thought.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Not amazing or thrilling but flying over my house gave me a nice buzz!
Old May 13, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by ajGoes
That reminds me of a similar sight that impressed me. It was a night flight from CVG (Cincinnati) to DAY (Dayton International). Cincinnati's main airport is in Kentucky, across the Ohio river and southwest of Cincinnati. Dayton International is north of Dayton. The flight followed a line just northwest of most of the urban area. I hadn't realized till that night that the Dayton and Cincinnati municipal areas had pretty nearly merged. This was at least ten years ago. Their's very little visible open space between them nowadays.
Had to google-map it and heck, that makes for a massive 100Km long city. Amazing.
Guess this can be true for many sister cities in US. Not to mention LAX alone.
But hey, you folks have scheduled flights for a 60 miles hops?
Old May 13, 2015, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Flying BA from JNB to CPT some tears ago on a nearly empty 747, the pilot did a 360 around the Kimberley diamond mine which was an extraordinary hole in a vast nothingness.

Other notable sights include Kilimanjaro, the Icelandic unpronouceable volcano from the North as it was still spewing out smoke and I would concur about Greenland.

On a personal level, I usually see my house landing at LHR if I'm on the right, and likewise in SFO if I'm on the left.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Had to google-map it and heck, that makes for a massive 100Km long city. Amazing.
Guess this can be true for many sister cities in US. Not to mention LAX alone.
But hey, you folks have scheduled flights for a 60 miles hops?
Yup. I don't know if it still holds, but when I took that flight, DAY-CVG-LAX return was $400 cheaper than CVG-LAX. As a captive Delta hub, CVG was the most expensive airport to fly from in the country.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I was on a flight from HKG->SEA and I was waiting for the washroom.

This really cute girl waited for the other one beside it. We exchanged hellos while I stretched. She then out-stretched me by doing the splits right there and then.

In yoga pants.

Best flight ever.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:17 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
A few that I can recall.
  • Aurora on DTW-LHR one July.
  • Landing in PPT and a sweeping turn around the island of Moorea on a clear morning.
  • Baghdad in 2006.
  • A Cessna 172 tour of Whakaari, New Zealand and a whale breaching below.
  • The Spirit of Delta farewell tour from LAX - an hour long flight around Catalina at 10,000ft.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Saw this fuel explosion on a flight.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...693043&nseq=18

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.