Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

What's the most impressive or amazing thing people have seen from a plane?

My top three are:

Flying over the Australian Outback, on a clear sunny day. Not a sign of life, but tons of texture and landscape in the red desert. Big ravines, what looked like sand deltas or something. Almost a Martian landscape.

One evening as the sun was going down, I looked out at the right moment. It looked as if the plane was flying in the dark, but there was still light on the considerable cloud cover further down. It looked as if the plane was flying in space over the Earth down below.

Flying over Northern Iran. I've done this several times, and I like seeing all the small villages in the mountainous region, with small roads joining them. A lot of the villages are tiny, and there seems to be a village in most valleys.

I've never seen anything interesting over the ocean that I remember. Neither have I flown near or over an erupting volcano. I've never flown over the Himalayas, that must be amazing. Anyone?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
What's the most impressive or amazing thing people have seen from a plane?

My top three are:

Flying over the Australian Outback, on a clear sunny day. Not a sign of life, but tons of texture and landscape in the red desert. Big ravines, what looked like sand deltas or something. Almost a Martian landscape.

One evening as the sun was going down, I looked out at the right moment. It looked as if the plane was flying in the dark, but there was still light on the considerable cloud cover further down. It looked as if the plane was flying in space over the Earth down below.

Flying over Northern Iran. I've done this several times, and I like seeing all the small villages in the mountainous region, with small roads joining them. A lot of the villages are tiny, and there seems to be a village in most valleys.

I've never seen anything interesting over the ocean that I remember. Neither have I flown near or over an erupting volcano. Anyone?

Pilots tend not to fly over or near erupting volcanoes, the ash doesn't agree with the engines.

Personally, thunderstorms at night always impress me from the air, I love sitting there watching the lightning.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris19992
Pilots tend not to fly over or near erupting volcanoes, the ash doesn't agree with the engines.
If I recall correctly there was an Indonesian Airlines flight (EDIT: British Airways Flight 9 over Indonesia) that had both engines stop after flying through ash. Though, fortunately they managed to restart them. I had a quick google and there are volcano sightseeing trips (in small planes) in Iceland, Hawaii, and New Zealand. (And, I'd guess, in other places as well).

Personally, thunderstorms at night always impress me from the air, I love sitting there watching the lightning.
I don't think I've seen a storm. It's probably very likely that I've flown over one, but I mustn't have been looking.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Northern lights during last hour of a three-hour flight from LHR to KEF. I was like a kid looking out the window while most of the passengers were sleeping.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Long time ago...PHX - SMF and flew over Death Valley (during the day). Absolutely amazing.

Saw fireworks while landing in PHL one time...that was neat, but not as spectacular as I thought it should have been.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

I was at Boston Harbor during the Fourth of July fireworks and saw an airplane flying over us. I thought that must have been spectacular for everyone on the plane. Wish it had been me!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A couple of times seeing amazing thunderstorms from the air. Once while flying into North Carolina and once over Texas

Once the Northern Lights. The funny thing was, it was on a flight from PHX-ATL. It even made CNN.com as a fluke for being so far south.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

Space shuttle launch from a Cessna 172 when I was in flight training in FL just east of Orlando Sanford airport. It was pre 9/11 years and we could be around 30 miles away. Was really cool.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson

If I recall correctly there was an Indonesian Airlines flight (EDIT: British Airways Flight 9 over Indonesia) that had both engines stop after flying through ash. Though, fortunately they managed to restart them. I had a quick google and there are volcano sightseeing trips (in small planes) in Iceland, Hawaii, and New Zealand. (And, I'd guess, in other places as well).

All four engines failed. It was a BA 747.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:31 pm

Two things.

1 - Circular rainbow.

2 - The NASA Vehicle Assembly Building while on approach to the Shuttle Landing Facility.

Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The view of Earth from the cockpit of the Concorde at 60,000 feet
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:21 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

When a flight is full, I don't much like window seats.

If not, I'm treated to views such as these.

Flying over Lake Baykal and seeing the whole island of Cyprus were interesting moments too.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
thunderstorms over the Rockies and the Great Plains on summer nights are always captivating; I've taken over 100 redeyes, and have a hard time sleeping if I think there's a chance of a good light show

the desert southwest is pretty much my favorite area to stare at from 35000 feet

the ice-covered Great Lakes are impressive also
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Gamecock
All four engines failed. It was a BA 747.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
The Northern Lights and thunderstorms. So cool.

I think everything is wonderful when flying over it. The Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon, seeing the St. Louis Arch, the Mississippi River. Seeing oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico.

I know this stuff seems silly, but everything looks so much different from the air.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.