Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmff
When did this happen?
about 10 years ago. around the same time, the lhr plane made a couple passes trying to find the runway, then flew to and landed at cdg. after an hour, we were allowed off the plane. we packed up and then flew to lhr about 4 hrs later.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by jojojo
Greenland never gets old.

Las Vegas lights in the middle of the pitch black desert at night.

Going over the Arctic Circle on a wintertime ORD - NRT run. Hours and hours of ice with the low sun on the horizon. Amazing colors. I've never understood why almost all of the other passengers had windows closed. It's a chance to see a part of the world that we'll never, ever be able to visit.
+1 for all 3! Saw Greenland for the first time just recently on a daytime KEF-JFK flight, and it was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:51 am

Flying BUF-DTW we'd frequently get delayed taking off due to ATC in DTW. Occasionally we'd get airborne before they'd contact the flight to delay us, and we'd waste some time flying around the Canadian border. On one particular flight the pilot decided to do figure 8's over Niagara falls, so when the plane banked the entire right side of the aircraft got the view of a lifetime, then he came back and banked the other way so the left side of the plane got the same view... then we made our way to DTW.\

Last edited by holland; Aug 25, 2015 at 6:54 am Reason: resize images
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:54 am

Fire and smoke coming out of one of our engines enroute from ORD to LHR (not long after take-off). We turned around and went out on another flight later that day.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Amazingly sad
Flying on final approach into LGA over ground zero 6 days after 9/11 on a perfectly clear early afternoon and sitting in front on the left side of the plane. We almost flew directly over the still smoking ruins.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Flying over the Sydney Harbour Bridge....at about 1000ft....framed by the open back door of an RAAF Caribou. Got a picture somewhere....
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:15 am

A few of mine:

-Aurora borealis on JAL NRT-JFK. FA came and grabbed us since we were the only pax awake.

-On a DFW-ANC late summer afternoon flight, the combination of time of year, latitude, longitude, and altitude resulted in perfect golden hour light bathing the entire duration of the Canadian Rockies for hours, with the sun basically stationary, lighting up the snow and casting long shadows into the valleys.

-Flying CX from JFK to HKG - crazy Siberian landscapes, Lake Baikal, and then just huge factory cities in China, ones that we don't even know the names of but that must be a million people each.

-Ditto to flying over shallow tropical waters - Bahamas, etc.

-Parallel runway approaches or flight paths. A couple months ago was flying into the north side of ORD from DCA, coming in over the lake. We were trailing a LH A340 by probably a mile and had maybe 1-2 miles of north-south separation. For about 10 seconds there was a perfect image of the LH aircraft silhouetted against the skyline of Chicago, the lake shore, the beaches. With the right equipment I could have had a great shot for the LH marketing dept.

-Centerline of the runway at LGA appearing out of a blinding snowstorm at a 45 degree angle to the fuselage. First thing I saw after an hour of bouncing through a blizzard from ITH in a DH8 (may have been a Saab 340).

-River visual into DCA from an A-seat NEVER gets old.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by holland
Flying BUF-DTW we'd frequently get delayed taking off due to ATC in DTW. Occasionally we'd get airborne before they'd contact the flight to delay us, and we'd waste some time flying arpqnd the Canadian border. On one particular flight the pilot decided to do figure 8's over Niagara falls, so when the plane banked the entire right side of the aircraft got the view of a lifetime, then he came back and banked the other way so the left side of the plane got the same view... then we made our way
Awesome photos. Thanks so much for sharing !

Also thanks to everyone else who has taken the time to dig out and. Upload great photos. Thoroughly enjoyable !
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
What I am about to post is nothing original; many others have done the same. But the Northern Lights are just so amazing that they must be mentioned. I have seen them on round trips between LA and Tokyo which are not even fully polar flights; they hug the Arctic Circle. But the Lights are incredible.

Also, at least one poster has mentioned the circular rainbow. Another marvel of airplane flight. From the surface of the earth the ground gets in the way of a full circle!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
Photos from the window seat are one of my favorites.

Taking off from SFO, sometimes there are good views of the Golden Gate and San Francisco Bay:

... and San Francisco and the East Bay:

Tahiti:

The Venetian island of Murano, where the glassworks are:

Greenland is always nice if it's clear:

Here's a volcano erupting, from an 18-seater over Tanzania:

Does on the ground count?

Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

-Flying over the USA on a 4th of July evening, and seeing firework displays in so many cities. Over the Mid-West, you could see displays that were half a state apart (or so it seemed.)

-Seeing the Statue of Liberty as we flew over the harbor. It took me 15 more years to see it from the ground.

- I used to live on a farm that was under the flight path to LAX about 100 miles out. Once I was flying home from Amsterdam after a long and tiring trip, and looked down from my seat and saw MY 80 acres and MY house and MY cars in the driveway in MY neighborhood. It's all so strikingly clear from the air. We had a plane at the time, a taildragger, that we used to land in and out of our fields. We'd get home by taxiing down the road to the tie down. So I was used to identifying our property from the air, but it had much more impact after a long journey on a jet.

I long to see the Northern Lights. From the plane or on the ground...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
My favorite flights

1. The remnants of Mt St Helens still smoking right after the eruption on a PDX-SEA flight.
2. Iguazu Falls
3. Victoria Falls
4. Flight over the mountains and ocean above PPT.
5. Seeing Christ the Redeemer Statue in Rio upon landing just before sunset.
6. Flying pretty dog gone low over the elephants and other animals in Chobe National Park Botswana.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Virgin Atlantic, ANA, Eurostar
Fireworks

Flying from HKG to LHR on New Year's Eve 2014, we departed just as the fireworks went off. We didn't get windows seat as we had the bassinet in the middle but managed to catch glimpses of fireworks out the window, it was really pretty ^
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
1. Sydney Harbour after being away over a year
2. Greenland glaciers
3. Lights from fishing boats in South China sea
4. Mt Fuji
5. Cape York & Barrier Reef - turquoise waters and islands
6. Frozen wastes of Canada, Hudson's Bay
7. Great Wall of China
8. Diamond Head Crater
9. Golden Gate Bridge
10. North West cape of Australia
11. Looking down at thunderstorms over the Pacific
12. Inside Wembley stadium from above
13. Flying 2000ft over and passing a A320 over Iran in BA 747

I flew the Polar route IAD-PEK but it wasn't a night when the aurora was active :-(
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
1. Flying directly over the Golden Gate Bridge on a clear sunny day (en route Chicago - Hawaii)
2. Snow-covered alps, also clear and sunny day (London-Nairobi)
3. Another vote for Manhattan.

BTW pilots used to announce these cools sights, they never do anymore. Is it because they're afraid people will jump up and try to get to windows to look out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.