Reload this Page >

What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:18 am

On one flight from Rome to Basel with LX the pilot made a nice long turn and announced, that you could see on one hand-side the costa concordia in front of the island giglio.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Mt. Rainer from an AS 737-800 just yesterday:

Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Racing an Air Canada 777-200:

Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:30 pm
Suspended

I saw a massive forest fire over Arizona a few years back. We were at cruise at the smoke plume was almost at eye level.

But the strangest thing..while not amazing..was machine gun flare in the streets while on approach to LAX one night. Love LA!!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Wow! I haven't been here for a while and it's great to see this thread still going. I've had a look through and there are some amazing stories and pictures. Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by arlflyer
-Aurora borealis on JAL NRT-JFK. FA came and grabbed us since we were the only pax awake.
Same on a recent AB ORD-TXL flight. Mesmerizing sight, could see it wafting around. I even managed to take a picture with the manual settings of my camera - it doesn't do it any justice, but you can see it's there.

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/album411/DSC06733
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
An Air Canada Rouge FA.

Oh wait, I meant to say my wife
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:20 am

Flying from Dundee to London City a couple of years ago with Cityjet. It was an evening flight and dark outside so when we came were descending into London City the view from the window was wonderful. I love flying over big cities at night!
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by vhrum
As a life-long New Yorker, I'm still as giddy as a child every time I descend into LGA and get a view of the skyline. Bonus points when someone else on the plane has never seen it before. Always make sure to sit on the left side at a window

Other than that, the Northern Lights flying CX from the US over the Arctic - however dim and distant they may have been
First time flying in a couple of decades, flew from my small northern town to NYC (frst visit) via Toronto. I was on the left hand side of the plane, window seat, and very disappointed thinking we would descend directly into LGA and I wouldn't get a look at the sky-line.

I didn't know the plane was going to fly out over the harbour then fly back north giving me a view of the most amazing thing I've seen from a plane so far.

It was a beautiful sunny day, and the city just sparkled. I sat there with my mouth open, nose pressed against the window.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:56 am

I was flying down to Phoenix I think it was, and noticed on flightradar24 that we were parallel to another plane. I looked over and couldn't see it. So I looked up, and a UPS plane was flying at FL360, while we were at FL340. The UPS plane must have hit a waypoint or something, because he then started to modify his flight plan - and he slowly crept over our plane, and then he was off to our right.

I have a bit of a "plane spotting in the air" hobby now. I get on flightradar24 and look for planes we are flying parallel to, or going to cross paths with.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:39 pm

An F-16 - 6ft off our port wing

Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:14 pm

Damn, that's close. They're almost shaking hands.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:14 pm

Flying from JAX to MIA a few years ago, we were lucky enough to witness a space shuttle launch
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by radium_mask
An F-16 - 6ft off our port wing

Amazing. What plane were you in? The window is huge.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
Amazing. What plane were you in? The window is huge.
It was an executive jet, can't remember the make - Embraer or Bombardier I think. Window was normal size, I think the photo distorts it a little bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.