Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

is it cruel when company policy only allow coach on 15-hour flight, even for the CEO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is it cruel when company policy only allow coach on 15-hour flight, even for the CEO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I was convinced we work for the same company until your statement of affection

We have the same policy. Downside for the company: I will not work during the flight and I will arrive one day early.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Simple answer, don't like the company or the policies, don't work there.

If you work for yourself, you can write your own ticket. The reality is... most people today are far too comfy, and entitled. Not many years ago, air travel was super expensive, or not even possible.

A lot of my travel right now is paid for by people who want my business, and even though I have high limits, I still try to pick the cheapest flight. The only times where I would spend more is if I must be there at a certain time, and flying in day before plus hotel would end up costing more.

The question is where do you draw the line? Is it a waste of money for domestic but good for international? Or do you base it on time changes? or duration of flight? Is JFK-LHR business worthy but say JFK to SEA or SFO not?

I think people who travel and don't pay for it out of pocket will always find a reason to complain about something. Most business owners put the value somewhere.

I think giving someone a Business class ticket for a job well done is a great idea... but to have them expect it? Eh, don't know.

But to say it is cruel and unusual is just a ludicrous statement. That would be like me complaining that my BMW has only a heated steering wheel and seats, and not cooled like in a Mercedes.

When I pay for my own travel, it is always in coach, and will use miles to upgrade or cash.... when I am flying paid, I do not expect F or J, and even when my rental cars are covered, I don't complain about it when parking is not, or I decide to upgrade to a dreamcar, etc.

I always try to make the best of every trip, no matter where I go and look at traveling as a perk... If someone is sick and tired of traveling, perhaps it is time to look for an alternative career or place to work where you don't have to.

Take a step back.... You can get on an airplane, and be almost anywhere in the world within 24 hours.... how freaking cool is that? You couldn't dream about it a few decades ago. Now we are complaining about a few hours sitting on our butts.

In the 50's and 60's Business people were on the road, and many of which slept in cars.... that were designed for sales people to sleep in.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:05 am

While none of that is false, there's another side to the coin, namely that as a business you might want to retain staff. Experienced staff with a lot of expertise might not be easily replaceable and high staff turnover can lead to significant problems in a number of areas.

References to how cool it is that you can be in Hong Kong in 13 hours and how things were for travelling salesmen in the 50s are not likely to keep performers around who could have a better offer on the table.

If cost minimization is the only thing that drives your HR approach, you'll have a problem sooner or later.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am

I was once negotiating a salary package with a company and asked about the travel policy. It was Y only. I explained that this was going to cost them more in the long run. I was still going to book Y+ and pay the difference out of my own pocket out of *post* tax money. And subtract that money (including a healthy margin) from the salary package they were offering for comparison purposes. They had to bump up the salary offer to be competitive.

Amazon in particular is famous for being stingy with its employees. It definitely hurts their recruiting and make it hard for them to attract the best talent. I've spoken to a number of people who have warned against working there as a result. I'm sure it varies from group to group but the reputation outside hurts.

Last edited by zkzkz; Feb 12, 2015 at 4:44 am
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Agree on F. Disagree on Business Class. The majority in Business are in paid Business Class seats. There are more than enough companies willing to pay the price for their people on long haul flights.
Originally Posted by deniah
id venture that at least half of Biz are rev. whether on discounted corporate rates or otherwise.
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I don't agree. I think you'll find the majority of J seats are filled by people paying for them. What they are paying is a different story, but the majority are paying for the seats.
I think my math got lost in translation: I agree that most J seats are paid by someone on some type of revenue ticket. My "5%" figure was intended to be the total of all travelers, including those in the back or out there flying on the various all-Y airlines of this world. Not that 19 out of 20 J seats are occupied by award users and nonrevs.

If the ticket is bought in a J bucket, it likely has a big corp discount on it and the flier is likely in line to upgrade to F. If it's bought in restricted-biz or as a "Y-UP" type fare, the discount is less.

Certainly the airlines *do* sell a lot of their J seats, and even some of their F ones. Which is good for those of us who like to redeem the seats, because without any buyers at all we'd get a lot more all-coach configurations.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I was once negotiating a salary package with a company and asked about the travel policy. It was Y only. I explained that this was going to cost them more in the long run. I was still going to book Y+ and pay the difference out of my own pocket out of *post* tax money. And subtract that money (including a healthy margin) from the salary package they were offering for comparison purposes. They had to bump up the salary offer to be competitive.

Amazon in particular is famous for being stingy with its employees. It definitely hurts their recruiting and make it hard for them to attract the best talent. I've spoken to a number of people who have warned against working there as a result. I'm sure it carried from group to group but the reputation outside hurts.
I'm an independent consultant. I don't"negotiate" things like that. I have my daily/weekly rate, I stay in Marriott or equivalent hotels and I fly business class. If the company doesn't accept that, they don't hire me.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maksimfa
...... The reality is... most people today are far too comfy, and entitled. .....
I was reading a trip report earlier and the writer, who was sitting in J, posted something like, "Thankfully no one sat next to me, or in the aisle seat across the way". I'll be honest, my response was, Really? Someone sitting across the aisle from you in a fully decked out J would have been annoying? Precious much?

Now I know so much more, I prefer to get a top line price from our corp travel provider and then go work my own route with the carrier and seats I prefer.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Last business trip was LAX-BNE in Y. My employer will only pay for J for upper level execs/W for everyone else (only upon approval and only if the flight is longer than 8 hours), and considering I don't really sleep in planes at all...yeah. On the other hand I don't really suffer jet lag, so maybe it balances out. Would be nice to have a lay-flat seat though but I can't justify using anything other than miles to pay for it for personal trips.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:27 pm

A lot of developing world govt employees (such as mission staff) have to fly Y even when traveling a very long distance, all flights in Y.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:48 pm

As long as those at the top are willing to do the same, I don't see anything wrong with it. We'd all rather fly F, but the majority of the seats on a plane are Y.

My company doesn't have any hard & fast rule about Y, J, F, but it's more based on common sense. Short 2 hr flight? It's going to be Y unless you can get J/F for a reasonable price. Usually we'll try to make the best of it and do JetBlue/Virgin and upgrade. Trans-con? That's J territory usually, often F, depends on prices, sometimes Y if prices are ridiculous.

Fortunately, by the time you add in baggage & other bogus fees to cattle class, J/F often become very competitive.

RSW to DUS? Depends entirely upon price. The owner of the company recently flew this route and it was ~$1200 for Y, $5800 for J/F. The owner had a code of their own: NFW -- he flew Y.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:11 pm

I know some posts mentioned people who procrastinate and end up with expensive economy flights. But isn't the likely reason that business plans can change so much, and you don't want to end up with a practically useless, expensive-to-change economy ticket?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I know some posts mentioned people who procrastinate and end up with expensive economy flights. But isn't the likely reason that business plans can change so much, and you don't want to end up with a practically useless, expensive-to-change economy ticket?
Actually, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. I used to book Y flex tickets in case of changes to plans but got hauled over the coals for spending too much on air travel. A few months later I had to bin a non-refundable, non-flex ticket and got a similar treatment for wasting money. I pointed out the hypocrisy and ended up with a verbal warning for "being difficult". Thankfully my manager got fired shortly afterwards for "being difficult" and my warning was overturned, but the ticket silliness remains...
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:18 am
HMO

Originally Posted by WillTravel
Maybe because they aren't allowed to purchase discounted J/F tickets, even when they can plan the trip, they don't bother to purchase Y tickets in advance.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:31 am

Last edited by brendog; Nov 18, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HMO
Maybe because they aren't allowed to purchase discounted J/F tickets, even when they can plan the trip, they don't bother to purchase Y tickets in advance.
That's certainly a "side effect" of booking late: a Y/B fare often ends up at the top of the upgrade queue, especially when combined with an elite status. Sometimes even assigns the F/J seat at booking time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.