FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is it cruel when company policy only allow coach on 15-hour flight, even for the CEO?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:55 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Agree on F. Disagree on Business Class. The majority in Business are in paid Business Class seats. There are more than enough companies willing to pay the price for their people on long haul flights.
Originally Posted by deniah
id venture that at least half of Biz are rev. whether on discounted corporate rates or otherwise.
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I don't agree. I think you'll find the majority of J seats are filled by people paying for them. What they are paying is a different story, but the majority are paying for the seats.
I think my math got lost in translation: I agree that most J seats are paid by someone on some type of revenue ticket. My "5%" figure was intended to be the total of all travelers, including those in the back or out there flying on the various all-Y airlines of this world. Not that 19 out of 20 J seats are occupied by award users and nonrevs.

If the ticket is bought in a J bucket, it likely has a big corp discount on it and the flier is likely in line to upgrade to F. If it's bought in restricted-biz or as a "Y-UP" type fare, the discount is less.

Certainly the airlines *do* sell a lot of their J seats, and even some of their F ones. Which is good for those of us who like to redeem the seats, because without any buyers at all we'd get a lot more all-coach configurations.