Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

is it cruel when company policy only allow coach on 15-hour flight, even for the CEO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is it cruel when company policy only allow coach on 15-hour flight, even for the CEO?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by thom1033
I give points to the CEO who walks the walk by not treating him or herself differently than the rank and file.
I would rather work with an egalitarian, economical travel policy like the OP's than a some-animals-are-more-equal-than-others system that indulges air snobs and squeaky wheels and wastes tens of thousands of dollars.

How many of us, given a choice between flying business class or flying economy and pocketing the fare difference, wouldn't choose the latter?

I sometimes read FTers asserting that they cannot possibly endure long trips in coach seats, and claiming they would refuse job assignments or even quit their positions unless guaranteed J or better. What a silly little thing to lose a good job over.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Not necessarily if the employee then needs a day either end before being capable of working to their best ability.

The cost of that is ???
Suck it up. They'll be fine. It's not like they're pulling an all nighter. And it isn't "cruel" if it ends up saving your job and your bonus!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Cruel? Yes. However, at least the boss follows the same economy rule.

If only being unable to sleep in economy was considered a medical condition.. the you could fly up front.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
I would rather work with an egalitarian, economical travel policy like the OP's than a some-animals-are-more-equal-than-others system that indulges air snobs and squeaky wheels and wastes tens of thousands of dollars.

How many of us, given a choice between flying business class or flying economy and pocketing the fare difference, wouldn't choose the latter?

I sometimes read FTers asserting that they cannot possibly endure long trips in coach seats, and claiming they would refuse job assignments or even quit their positions unless guaranteed J or better. What a silly little thing to lose a good job over.
As one of the animals that are more equal than others I'm all for that system. You're right that losing a job over Coach v. Business is dumb. But if I were given the choice of flying Coach and pocketing the difference, I'd fly Business. Don't need the money that badly.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I
Not necessarily if the employee then needs a day either end before being capable of working to their best ability.

The cost of that is ???
Cost of Y ticket LHR to NRT = $1200.
Cost of J ticket around $5000.
Cost of hotel for one extra night = $250.
Cost of food for one more day = $100.

Company is over $3000 up on costs. Bit of a no-brainer, unless...

What makes the differences is whether that employee is expected to make multiple trips in a short space of time. I once had to do LHR-NRT-PEK-PVG-SYD-MEL-PER-JNB-LHR in a week in Y. I was pretty non-functional by the end of it to the point where I was asked at check-in where I was flying to from PER and I honestly couldn't remember. I'm not sure if J would have made the difference as I was pinballing between time zones, but I have since refused trips like that. I took some flak for it but my response is always that the goals of the trip are at risk with that schedule.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:41 am

If the policy is followed throughout the organisation like the OP's seems to be then I would have no problem sitting in Y. There are some companies out there, and I used to work for one, where you weren't allowed to accrue airmiles on company travel.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

The cost of that is ???
...a couple hundred bucks at most for 1 more hotel night and meals...

I actually *could* see a case where I left a firm because of an unreasonable travel policy. But flying Y isn't it: it would be nickel-and-dime stuff combined with a lack of empowerment/control over my own travel decisions that would be the deal-killer.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The issue is not simply about the cost of a hotel vs. the cost of the premium cabin, it is about productivity and the value of time. If you can do a one-day turn to Asia and accomplish the business purpose of your trip and be productive at home base before and after the trip, that may have a great deal more value than anything else.

In addition, companies pay for premium travel as a perk to attract top people. There are companies which choose to allocate paid premium travel by rank and others which do it by production. The cost is minimal for someone bringing in a ton of business. For someone who can be replaced at the drop of a hat, it may not be worth it.

Conversely, the employee needs to look at the big picture. Do one TPAC/year, it may not be world-ending. But, travel class of service (including premium air, car services, better hotel, less expense scrutiny and the like), may be important to the person who has choices to make.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:05 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:15 pm
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
...if I were given the choice of flying Coach and pocketing the difference, I'd fly Business. Don't need the money that badly.
I, on the other hand, will happily pocket the equivalent of a full semester's college tuition for my kid in return for sitting in a regular chair for a few hours. I'm happy to have J when it's offered but don't care when it's not.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by DutchShip
My question is... isn't this cruel and unusual punishment?
No.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

The cost of that is ???
"Hey, we have a tee-time at Pebble Beach the day after you arrive, I know you need a day to recover as you are not in business class, so I guess you are not interested?"

Let's see their powers of recovery then shall we !
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:44 am

I think it's cruel and fair at the same time (only the OP's specific situation).

I'm one of those people who just can NOT sleep sitting bolt upright (and sorry but the 3 degree recline in Y still counts as bolt upright to me), rubbing shoulders with the people next to me and the seat in front of me in my face. I've tried it and always arrive as a complete zombie. When my company flew me to Europe last year in Business, I was blown away that I arrived only a little tired but human enough to think clearly and function. It's just a world of difference for TATL flights for me. Having said that, I can sit in economy on the daytime flight back. It's just the redeye that slaughters me.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by DutchShip
My question is... isn't this cruel and unusual punishment? To be fair, the company is a joy to work for. I would give up sex forever for lifetime employment at the company. As with anything in life, nothing is ever 100% perfect, as is the case with the company's *only* flaw is the stupid coach-only travel policy.
Employment with this company and/or travelling while working are optional. You obviously choose to opt in because you continue to work for the company you profess such great love for. Purchasing EC/E+ upgrades at your own expense is also optional, and you appear to opt out. I fail to see where anyone is punishing you or otherwise restricting your ability to choose.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
"Hey, we have a tee-time at Pebble Beach the day after you arrive, I know you need a day to recover as you are not in business class, so I guess you are not interested?"

Let's see their powers of recovery then shall we !
I once played St. Andrews about 2 hours after getting off the plane in Edinburgh from an overnight flight in Y.

Strange day...we arrived at the #1 tee of the Old Course, not sure if there's any hope of getting on....and there's not another golfer in sight! Asked the starter if the course was closed or something...he said "No, you guys can play right now if you like."

Needless to say, I rallied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.