"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I wish they would bring that old culture back. There would be a lot of flight attendants either facing losing a job or getting in shape. Asian flight attendants are all slim and attractive as are most european flight attendants. US flight attendants are in comparison have poor attitudes and are overweight dinosaurs.

Oh well.
One can be in shape, and not deemed attractive, and be deemed attractive, but not in shape.

However I fully support the idea of mandatory physical fitness, including for all passengers.

As for attitude, I'm proud of the attitude displayed by FAs Betty Ong and Amy Sweeney. They weren't obsequious and obedient and smiling, they disobeyed and made phone calls. But they're dead now.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
WTO isn't planning to get involved: link

Good call IMO. Allowing foreign ownership sounds like it would be a fair trade though, maybe something to think about in the future.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmd320
WTO isn't planning to get involved: link

Good call IMO. Allowing foreign ownership sounds like it would be a fair trade though, maybe something to think about in the future.
maybe EK and AS
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I ended up not taking EK from Milan, though a friend did.

I took BA, returning with BA but then turning around and taking EK the next day. Am sure that I will notice the difference in service.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Doug Parker whining now, when AA had $2 billion in profits in a recent quarter.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....and-consumers/
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Doug Parker whining now, when AA had $2 billion in profits in a recent quarter.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....and-consumers/
I find it difficult to take anyone seriously who has been stupid enough to get 3 DUIs over the course of their sorry life. At least when RA complains, it's coming from a fairly respectable individual (albeit, rather whiny). Deep Discount Doug is truly the pond scum of the industry.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
I find it difficult to take anyone seriously who has been stupid enough to get 3 DUIs over the course of their sorry life. At least when RA complains, it's coming from a fairly respectable individual (albeit, rather whiny). Deep Discount Doug is truly the pond scum of the industry.
He couldn't build the airline the old fashion way so he begged and begged and finally had merger. But he is drinking the same Kool Aide as Dickie boy at DL, smithsonian age metal, lousy attitudes and poor food. Not forgetting all the tax breaks they get and are trying to get more.

The GSC are beating them at their own game, I look forward to my next flight on EK in January and going to reserve CDG in the coming months and oh by the by I don't fly them domestically.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
He couldn't build the airline the old fashion way so he begged and begged and finally had merger. But he is drinking the same Kool Aide as Dickie boy at DL, smithsonian age metal, lousy attitudes and poor food. Not forgetting all the tax breaks they get and are trying to get more.

The GSC are beating them at their own game, I look forward to my next flight on EK in January and going to reserve CDG in the coming months and oh by the by I don't fly them domestically.
Oh, please. This is rubbish.

You don't like Doug Parker. Fine. But he and Scott Kirby started with nothing (essentially bankrupt and failing America West airlines after 9/11) and turned it into the largest and most profitable airline in the world.

Have you accomplished as much in your life?

The reality is that the Middle East airlines ARE fantastically subsidized. To the tune of tens of billions of dollars. This can't be seriously challenged. If you don't want to believe the US3, look at how the ME3 operate. They fly flights and buy planes that no other airlines in the world fly or buy. The rest of the world's airlines aren't stupid. They just don't have the billions of dollars to burn.

This is nothing wrong with a businessman asking his government to stop a massively subsidized foreign competitor (owned by a gov't, no less!) from selling below cost product in his country. Indeed, if that businessman didn't complain, he'd be a fool.

And as Parker's remarkable record of success shows, he's no fool.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If he wants the US govt. to intercede on behalf of his company, do what every US company does, pay for lobbyists to buy some congressmen.

His company is flush with money so now's the time to do it.

What is with these op-eds? Do the US airlines think the public would be sympathetic to them?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Oh, please. This is rubbish.

You don't like Doug Parker. Fine. But he and Scott Kirby started with nothing (essentially bankrupt and failing America West airlines after 9/11) and turned it into the largest and most profitable airline in the world.

Have you accomplished as much in your life?

The reality is that the Middle East airlines ARE fantastically subsidized. To the tune of tens of billions of dollars. This can't be seriously challenged. If you don't want to believe the US3, look at how the ME3 operate. They fly flights and buy planes that no other airlines in the world fly or buy. The rest of the world's airlines aren't stupid. They just don't have the billions of dollars to burn.

This is nothing wrong with a businessman asking his government to stop a massively subsidized foreign competitor (owned by a gov't, no less!) from selling below cost product in his country. Indeed, if that businessman didn't complain, he'd be a fool.

And as Parker's remarkable record of success shows, he's no fool.
Well Sir, it is apparent where your views are. As for the personal question of my success yes I do own and run a very successful construction company. I fly over 100K a year mostly full fare FC or "auto upgrade" on my particular airline. I have been in their top 3% for many year straight, I have cut the ribbon for one of their new flights representing their FF. I deal with ".gov" all the time both nationally and internationally.

As for AW was always a dog, US Airways followed suit. He knew he had to merge to grow otherwise US Air was in decline. I know several long time Chairman's Club members and what they have said. And by the by I originally grew up schooled in the Mid Atlantic so I remember Piedmont and of course you do remember being so informed that the MARS family was an owner.

Subsidized please wake up and smell the coffee.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
The reality is that the Middle East airlines ARE fantastically subsidized. To the tune of tens of billions of dollars. This can't be seriously challenged.

Even the article mentioned says:
The original airline document making the subsidy case turned out to be a fraud, doctoring quotes. Emirates probably isn’t subsidized, or at least may even be less subsidized than the US airlines are.
You must be one of the few left that refuses to see what's in front of them.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
@iahphx

You do know that there's been a tone down in accusation towards EK? After the facts were presented (which can be easily verified) by EK, the article seems to be geared more towards "We are an American company, hence you need to protect us from competition". Never mind the fact that Alaska, Fed-Ex, Jetblue and associated services are benefiting from the Open Skies agreement, and the risk to the employees of these (also) American company. Doug only cares about HIS company's P&L.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:55 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by lighthand
@iahphx

You do know that there's been a tone down in accusation towards EK? After the facts were presented (which can be easily verified) by EK, the article seems to be geared more towards "We are an American company, hence you need to protect us from competition". Never mind the fact that Alaska, Fed-Ex, Jetblue and associated services are benefiting from the Open Skies agreement, and the risk to the employees of these (also) American company. Doug only cares about HIS company's P&L.
It's almost impossible to verify "facts" presented by a foreign company owned by an absolute monarchy.

The accusations were toned down because it became apparent that other US companies and the public were not as supportive as hoped.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
It's almost impossible to verify "facts" presented by a foreign company owned by an absolute monarchy.

The accusations were toned down because it became apparent that other US companies and the public were not as supportive as hoped.
It was toned down because it was all complete nonsense. Just a bunch of already overly profitable and non-competitive mega-airlines trying to further suppress competition. There is plenty of money being earned in order to elevate product standards to those which will actually compete with ME airlines. Unfortunately, this very simple realization is not comprehendible for someone like Dear Leader Discount Doug.

Give people something more than an industry-worst product and maybe they'll actually pay for it and do business with you...
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by cbn42

If auditor's reports are not trusted, then what else can be done to prove their innocence? The burden of proof is almost impossible to meet, and it'll turn into a "presume guilty, until proven innocent" scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.