Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If they start spreading some cash through lobbyists, then Washington will respond.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
[Discussion which is off-topic for this forum edited by Moderator.]

Look at the end of the day the only thing that is going to convince the US flag carriers to improve their product is US the consumer. Their getting it now and hoping they convince regulators to help them if they lose and I hope they do then and only then will they really give US the consumer a product worthily of what they charge. That is simply free market at it's best. Competition drives our economy Business 101

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 20, 2015 at 9:00 pm Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:49 pm

There ain't no such thing as a free market. If it's really a free market, there wouldn't be rules prohibiting foreign airlines from flying US domestic routes nor would there be rules requiring governmental personnel to fly US flag carriers.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by danielchee
There ain't no such thing as a free market. If it's really a free market, there wouldn't be rules prohibiting foreign airlines from flying US domestic routes nor would there be rules requiring governmental personnel to fly US flag carriers.
Oh I agree with the no city to city in US.. Way back when Pan Am actually had scheduled service in Germany with 727's now that was a long time ago.

And sure free market is a play on words to an extent.

Most likely this thread is about at it's end of life unless of course we get a decision from .gov
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by danielchee
I'm reminded of Yes Minister and irregular verbs - I brief confidentially, you leak, he's charged under the Official Secrets Act.

Thus Free Markets are Good unless you are on the receiving end in which case National Interest trumps all.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:25 am

Mideast carriers taking over?

Interesting article in USA Today.
They claim the plan of the Mideast Gulf area carriers is to seriously damage the USA and probably other carriers in a Walmart type tactic of providing super service/prices until the competition is hurt so badly that they go out of business. Problem is that the Mideast carriers are not losing money because of government subsidies. Their governments are more than happy to do this because the master plan is to make the Mideast Gulf area a world hub of just about everything
Thoughts?
What is the USA to do?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already being discussed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-airlines.html
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Is this article in today's USA Today? Or can I read it online?

Answeed my own darn question: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...ates/25196005/
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:54 am

Mideast carriers taking over?

In before the close - I only have two words in reference to a takeover by Mideast carriers - faster, please.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing discussion on this topic. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by ente_09
Problem is that the Mideast carriers are not losing money because of government subsidies.
Allegedly.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Interesting article in USA Today.
They claim the plan of the Mideast Gulf area carriers is to seriously damage the USA and probably other carriers in a Walmart type tactic of providing super service/prices until the competition is hurt so badly that they go out of business. Problem is that the Mideast carriers are not losing money because of government subsidies. Their governments are more than happy to do this because the master plan is to make the Mideast Gulf area a world hub of just about everything
Thoughts?
What is the USA to do?
Compete? Perhaps this is treading too close to the political line, so all I'll say is there was a time when public expenditure on things for the public good was not so frowned upon. Look at the moon program or space shuttle program!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Problem is that the Mideast carriers are not losing money because of government subsidies.
Can you provide a legitimate source for this?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I thought TK was copying the gulf business model and that's why they have been doing so much better than other EU airlines. If the gulf carriers were hugely subsidized then do we say the same for TK?

Personally I just think all of this is sour grapes from the U.S carriers, they don't want to spend money to improve but they also don't want to lose their "cattle"
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chris19992
I thought TK was copying the gulf business model and that's why they have been doing so much better than other EU airlines. If the gulf carriers were hugely subsidized then do we say the same for TK?

Personally I just think all of this is sour grapes from the U.S carriers, they don't want to spend money to improve but they also don't want to lose their "cattle"
This is all that's going on here. US airlines looking for the cheapest and least consumer-friendly way out of a mildly unpalatable situation for them. Really irritates me and makes me want to move even more business to foreign airlines simply based on principle (even when it may not be the most convenient).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.