Search

"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ou81two
BS. Go have a few drinks and wander Dubai. See if you get arrested. Same with taking in certain medications. There are plenty of websites which you can't even visit there. How about drinking juice outside during ramadan. Kiss your wife risk jail time. How about a few years of jail for getting poppyseeds on your clothes from eating a sandwich. Real things. Instead of whining, look them up.

That of course completely ignores that if you fly a Qatar airline, you're supporting human slavery.

Instead of whining, you might want to pull your head out of the sand.
Oh the irony, for a "narrow-minded, sensationalist" game can be played back so very easily by using narrow-minded, sensationalist approaches.

How far away is the "slave market" in Qatar from where the US and British military are operating in Qatar? The labor pool in Qatar are not slaves. Or since when do slaves ask their loved ones back home to join them in their place of "captivity" and become "slaves"? [The talk of "slaves" in Qatar today is an insult to the memory of those who have been or are subjected to real slave trades, where even the children of slaves were not free; but that implicit downplaying of historical atrocities on a global scale by focusing on "slave labor" elsewhere is rather expected from some.]

Lots of people who have had a drink of alcohol wander Dubai's malls without getting arrested. It's when people disturb the peace or otherwise engage in disorderly conduct -- something that may get people arrested in the US -- that drinking alcohol may be part of the picture in charges pursued in Dubai.

Take some prescribed or OTC US medicines to Japan, and a person could be arrested for customs violations in Japan. Do we really need to go into how much more or less likely someone is to be killed by US law enforcement weaponry than by Dubai police?

Renounce US citizenship -- if you can even afford to do so -- and you may be a "slave" to Uncle Sam's tax man for years to come and threatend with prison or even prison rape if not "compliant" in a manner satisfactory to Uncle Sam.

Visit some websites while in the US, and the US may put a person on a blacklist of sorts. That's even worse than being denied access to the websites.

When these are the kind of arguments being relied upon by the US3 fans and/or opponents of "the Arabs" or "the Muslims", it just speaks to the desperate poverty of the argument being used against the GCC3.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 20, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
Narrow minded for not supporting countries that have slave labor? Just look at how many slaves have died in the past year trying to get Qatar ready for the World Cup. UAE is the same way. That big huge tower in the middle of Dubai was built on the backs of slaves.

If I were asked to go to one of these places for work, I'd demand to fly a carrier that isn't based there.
I take it you don't utilize a smartphone or shop for products from Asia in a store like Walmart then either. After all, there's plenty of "slave-labor" that go into the manufacturing of such items.

I think people have forgotten the definition of what slavery actually is, or tend to take stances on when convenient for them. Don't believe everything you read online/see on the news. Most of it is about as fictional as your typical sitcom.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
I take it you don't utilize a smartphone or shop for products from Asia in a store like Walmart then either. After all, there's plenty of "slave-labor" that go into the manufacturing of such items.
Of course not, as no one buys ONG from the GCC players.

Can't buy things so cheaply in a store when a person can't use oil to get there to buy products and/or to get products delivered to a store or other place where the buyer may take physical possession of purchased goods.

Can't drive or fly so cheaply without GCC ONG on the market.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Quote:

A narrow-minded and sensationalistic comment. I'll take a few hours of being unable to access adult websites in exchange for not having to put up with crAApy intercontinental products. To be honest I'd be too buzzed on Krug to care about accessing the Internet in the DOH lounge.

Narrow minded for not supporting countries that have slave labor? Just look at how many slaves have died in the past year trying to get Qatar ready for the World Cup. UAE is the same way. That big huge tower in the middle of Dubai was built on the backs of slaves.

If I were asked to go to one of these places for work, I'd demand to fly a carrier that isn't based there.
The "slaves" from countries like India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, etc make much more than they would ever dream of making in their home countries.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
The "slaves" from countries like India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, etc make much more than they would ever dream of making in their home countries.
Indeed, and rather often they try to help their relatives and friends from their home country to follow in their footsteps and head to Qatar or the UAE for work. While there are examples of employers in Qatar treating employees horribly and even of hazardous work conditions, that isn't unique to "Arab" employers or work in the GCC.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Narrow minded for not supporting countries that have slave labor? .
Says he typing this from his iphone/smartphone/laptop made by 'slave' labour in Asia...

I guess when there are no real arguments to be made against the ME3, one can always resort to "slavery" and "subsidies" and "9.11" like the CEO of Delta did.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
And here come the tu quoque fallacies.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its kind of bogus when problematic laws/etc only come up when it impacts person/business personally

like boycott of brunei-owned dorchester hotels, but not qatar-owned hotels
for the sole reason that dorchester hotels in LA are (still) celebrity hangouts

in other words, comments here that have some implication that ME3 are the only countries with problems
either be consistent, or dont start endless critiques with silly motives (in this case discussing airlines)
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:11 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Not hard to be at UA/AA these days! And that is truly sad, as an American. We might be doing KLM to AMS next year and good to know there are improvements. I guess my really bad back to back to back experiences coupled with flying AF/EK has me not wanting to waste money and time trying DL again. The price differential is not that much for a superior product
My biggest issues with KLM and Air France is that there is lots of old (business class) product floating around. In addition, for example, KLM has a so many different products. The new 787-9 will be 1-2-1, the new 777 WBC is 2-2-2. Still lots of old 777s and A330s. Similar situation at Air France.

You can say what you want about Delta, but the facts are since February 2014 they have been 100% Delta One (business class) 1-2-1 on their international wide body fleet. Neither UA or AA can say that. And, even stellar airlines like EK have some sub-par business class configurations on some of their wide body long-haul planes.

I'm sort of a consistency nut, so I do believe from an operational perspective it's pretty great that Delta was able to standardize like that. Now, I don't really like the Delta 1-2-1 seats on the 767s; but the A330s and 777s are quite nice. (I can't speak to the 747, but I do believe it is the same as the 777 with exception to the 747 upper deck which is a 1-1 configuration).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
My biggest issues with KLM and Air France is that there is lots of old (business class) product floating around. In addition, for example, KLM has a so many different products. The new 787-9 will be 1-2-1, the new 777 WBC is 2-2-2. Still lots of old 777s and A330s. Similar situation at Air France.

You can say what you want about Delta, but the facts are since February 2014 they have been 100% Delta One (business class) 1-2-1 on their international wide body fleet. Neither UA or AA can say that. And, even stellar airlines like EK have some sub-par business class configurations on some of their wide body long-haul planes.

I'm sort of a consistency nut, so I do believe from an operational perspective it's pretty great that Delta was able to standardize like that. Now, I don't really like the Delta 1-2-1 seats on the 767s; but the A330s and 777s are quite nice. (I can't speak to the 747, but I do believe it is the same as the 777 with exception to the 747 upper deck which is a 1-1 configuration).
The problem with DL, outside of soft product and complete lack of an F cabin of course, is that the bulk of their intercontinental fleet is 767s with coffin J. Sure if the fleet was primarily 777 and 747 that would be a different story, but unless you're going to NRT, AMS, or CDG, you're likely to get stuck on a 767, and I really hate those up front.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:27 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
The problem with DL, outside of soft product and complete lack of an F cabin of course, is that the bulk of their intercontinental fleet is 767s with coffin J. Sure if the fleet was primarily 777 and 747 that would be a different story, but unless you're going to NRT, AMS, or CDG, you're likely to get stuck on a 767, and I really hate those up front.
Agree, but a Delta 767 1-2-1 "coffin" is still better than 2-3-2 if you get stuck in the middle on an Air France or KLM 777 (that has not been modified). With that being said, 1A on the 767 is agreeable with me.

I think a lot has to do with size/height also. If you are very tall; the Delta 767s in Delta One can be a bigger problem. Short, not as much of a problem.

Edit to add : don't forget the A330s, those are my favorite in Delta One. Delta has quite a few of those, inherited from Northwest.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Agree, but a Delta 767 1-2-1 "coffin" is still better than 2-3-2 if you get stuck in the middle on an Air France or KLM 777 (that has not been modified). With that being said, 1A on the 767 is agreeable with me.

I think a lot has to do with size/height also. If you are very tall; the Delta 767s in Delta One can be a bigger problem. Short, not as much of a problem.

Edit to add : don't forget the A330s, those are my favorite in Delta One. Delta has quite a few of those, inherited from Northwest.
If your short any bird works !! I am tall so DL is an issue
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by ou81two
BS. Go have a few drinks and wander Dubai. See if you get arrested. Same with taking in certain medications. There are plenty of websites which you can't even visit there. How about drinking juice outside during ramadan. Kiss your wife risk jail time. How about a few years of jail for getting poppyseeds on your clothes from eating a sandwich. Real things. Instead of whining, look them up.

That of course completely ignores that if you fly a Qatar airline, you're supporting human slavery.

Instead of whining, you might want to pull your head out of the sand.
I have many times had a few drinks and wandered Dubia, its not a problem, as long as you dont cause offence its not agaiants any law.

Dinking or eating outside ( in public ) is of course offensive to those fasting during daylight hours in Ramadam, doe this give you a problem ? You can eat and drink in many places if you need to !

If you viist ANY country its your choice but of course you should respect local laws and cuture.

Can you walk down a US street chugging a beer and not risk arrest ??
Can you have a beer on the beach ? Can you have a smoke ANYWHERE ?

I agree that there are labour abuses in Qatar, dont quite see how flying QR promotes this.

I am assuming you are a US citizen and I am afraid normally this type of ignorance and attitude that "if its different from the US then its wrong" is typically US.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
I have many times had a few drinks and wandered Dubia, its not a problem, as long as you dont cause offence its not agaiants any law.

Dinking or eating outside ( in public ) is of course offensive to those fasting during daylight hours in Ramadam, doe this give you a problem ? You can eat and drink in many places if you need to !

If you viist ANY country its your choice but of course you should respect local laws and cuture.

Can you walk down a US street chugging a beer and not risk arrest ??
Can you have a beer on the beach ? Can you have a smoke ANYWHERE ?

I agree that there are labour abuses in Qatar, dont quite see how flying QR promotes this.

I am assuming you are a US citizen and I am afraid normally this type of ignorance and attitude that "if its different from the US then its wrong" is typically US.

Good post and on point, like any country if you don't make an ... of yourself your fine, in Dubai there are many places to buy and consume beer etc. remember it's Their Country so let's not submit them to our way of life
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Good post and on point, like any country if you don't make an ... of yourself your fine, in Dubai there are many places to buy and consume beer etc. remember it's Their Country so let's not submit them to our way of life
Absolutely, spot on by the OP. It's all relative to ones point of view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.