"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by edgewood49
while you maybe correct I am seeing and hearing more and more mention of EK for example and some from people that have surprised me. One friend of my wife's goes to Africa every year from the west coast and always on EK. Go figure
Given that there aren't many direct US-Africa flights, and those that are tend to be on African carriers and only to the East Coast, the routings make more sense than many. Either way, you'd connecting somewhere, and if it's East Africa, it may not add that much distance, and EK may very well be the more familiar carrier than say, Kenya Airways or Uganda Airways.

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I just reviewed ticket cost pricing for my wife and friends to go on a horseback safari in Africa, EK almost a year out was $900.00 RT. Having been on EK and seeing first hand the quality of service even in coach that's a hell of a deal. SO would you fly a old DL767 or well aged AB 330 DL was $1375.00 for same time frame.
Not that I'd be flying either DL or EK -- OneWorld status and all -- but if in coach I'd much rather fly an older plane with more seat room (e.g. the A330) or equally bad seat room, but a 2-3-2 layout on the 767, than the EK 77W 10-across layout.

If I could be assured of A380s, I'd take that seat width over the 767's narrower seats, but I'd still prefer the A330 2-4-2 layout to 3-4-3 on the big bird.

Even if everyone was buying on price GSC's look pretty good as well .
Totally depends on the route.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by nkedel
Given that there aren't many direct US-Africa flights, and those that are tend to be on African carriers and only to the East Coast, the routings make more sense than many. Either way, you'd connecting somewhere, and if it's East Africa, it may not add that much distance, and EK may very well be the more familiar carrier than say, Kenya Airways or Uganda Airways.

Not that I'd be flying either DL or EK -- OneWorld status and all -- but if in coach I'd much rather fly an older plane with more seat room (e.g. the A330) or equally bad seat room, but a 2-3-2 layout on the 767, than the EK 77W 10-across layout.

If I could be assured of A380s, I'd take that seat width over the 767's narrower seats, but I'd still prefer the A330 2-4-2 layout to 3-4-3 on the big bird.

Totally depends on the route.
From the west coast certainly the GSC's seem to be the most convenient and shortest time. And if your going to have to layover it be either KLM via AMS or GSC's incredible airports ! Otherwise it's JFK or ATL.

No matter whom you fly it's 26 + hours.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US has a federal excise tax on air tickets and US airlines' miles sold in the US.
I know that, though, that is for domestic tickets, not for international transport.
(with the exception of Canada/Mexico, where paying this tax would be cheaper than the flat rate $17.7 tax for international departure/arrival.)
Airline miles must also be taxed at this rate, as the US government has no knowledge of whether these miles will be used for domestic or international itineraries until they are redeemed.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by deltheking
Seriously, this is such an outdated quote that it is laughable. Whether "WE" like it or not - it is a global economy. In that case you should stop buying in the supermarkets - Target, Sams, Walmart etc etc - because guess what 90% of the stuff now is manufactured in China. How about your electronics and smartphones ?? Made in China. Your generic drugs - made in Mexico or India. Your clothes - made abroad. So, would you stop buying all these. Sorry, but time to get real.
To be fair, LG (which does make decent mobiles/TVs), and Samsung make their products in South Korea.
HTC (also a top company) makes their phones in Taiwan.
My phone is a HTC, but only because I buy based on specifications/interface/price, not because of origin of the product.
(I also have an iphone for work purposes, because i must sometimes do work with apps running ios.)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most Samsung phones are made in VN.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by deltheking
Seriously, this is such an outdated quote that it is laughable. Whether "WE" like it or not - it is a global economy. In that case you should stop buying in the supermarkets - Target, Sams, Walmart etc etc - because guess what 90% of the stuff now is manufactured in China. How about your electronics and smartphones ?? Made in China. Your generic drugs - made in Mexico or India. Your clothes - made abroad. So, would you stop buying all these. Sorry, but time to get real.

As far as digging my head - if the companies dont care about me and my family - why should we ?? To save a few pennies - they outsource . And the public is at fault for buying something that benefits a person and his family ?? The lack of logic just beats me. And also - tested on animals ?? I dont know if you are aware - but all drugs used in humans are first tested on lab animals. So, in this case - would you not use any drug or medicine out there ??

And the real reason the US carriers are worried about are the invasion of foreign airlines into the US-Europe sector. Forget about the Asia or subcontinent market. The US carriers have lost out and are no match there. Hence their desire to maintain a dominance in the US-Europe sector. Simple as that. Pure economics and money play here.
I think the difference between REAL competition and illegal subsidies are a VERY real concern. The point of subsidies is to dominate the market, drive out competition, then once it's done, then the subsidies go away and we're left with huge monopolies/oligopolies in the marketplace who will raise prices. Samsung and LG did this a few years ago (and might still be doing it). They were selling at below cost because of illegal subsidies from the Korean government. The technology isn't cheaper because they've found a way to cut costs by hundreds of dollars per unit, it's because the government pays them a few hundred per unit to help them dominate the marketplace.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I think the difference between REAL competition and illegal subsidies are a VERY real concern.
Personally I'm more concerned about noncompetitive consolidation and failing companies being allowed to restructure through a Ch. 11 process. Let failing companies die, there's a reason they're failing.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmd320
Personally I'm more concerned about noncompetitive consolidation and failing companies being allowed to restructure through a Ch. 11 process. Let failing companies die, there's a reason they're failing.
So very true. When it comes to the Big Three whining about subsidies there are many tax abatements, Chapter 11, cram down on the pension funds, that the US carriers enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.