Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most annoying passenger you've encountered?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most annoying passenger you've encountered?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Had a woman describe all of her divorce details to me on a 1.5 hour flight. Even the flight attendant noticed and just handed me a mini of gin.

On the return, it was a male with another detailed divorce story he just had to unload on me. TMI.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: A3
Last year my flight ZRH-SIN A380

Me and a friend were seating bulkhead. Behind us a Family with one kid.
They brought one HUGE child seat so the kid had ist own thrown. Even though the kid was small, the chair was big enough the kid was able to full force kick the back our seats. And when it wasn't the kid kicking our seats it was the mother.
After several hours of being kicked in the back I stood up turned around, and friendly as I could be (through midly clenched teeths) I asked her to stop her kid from kicking my seat all the time.
To which she said, I kid you not: "It is your own fault for taking OUR bulk head seats that were meant for OUR child"

I just sat down with the biggest ... Moment of my life on a flight.

When disembarking she had the chair, which was almost as big as she was (ok she was tiny) under one arm, giving me death stares.

Something that can be annoying, but forgiveable. FAs that tell you that in Bulkhead you aren't allowed to have carry on in front of you. Before Boarding has completed, before you even started to get your stuff in ther Overhead, the same FA repeateldy within 3 minutes. after the fifth time I barked at "I know let me get the bag up without obstructiong other Boarding passengers" Lady, sorry I barked at you. But I am mighty sure there are other passengers who Need the reminder more than I do, like that Lady that just placed a bag right infront of the Exit door.

Another flight ZRH-SIN.
This one kid, of a lot of 5, all between toddler Age and 3. As soon as the lights wen out for sleeping, it began to throw a fit. No it wasn't the toddler who only whinced during takeoff and landing. it was the oldest of them and it looked like he was dancing casachok (or how to type that russian Dance) on his seat. Kicking the front seat scream to the back where somebody not related to him was. Nah the parrents didn't do anything to calm him down. That same kid screamed like Tarzan every now and than for 20 minutes without pause. No no calming down, he just stopped because his throat hurt form screaming.
The FA's brought toys, which stopped the screamin ... for minutes .. than he screamed while playing with the stuff

I really really like Kids. I also understand when a toddler doesn't like the noises or the Feeling of a plane. But really, discipline your child when it is throwing a ruckus just because it wants to.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
A few years back I sat next an annoyingly hot similarly aged Australian girl who was travelling with her (all girls) friends on SIN-DPS who were doing a after-grad (high school) Asia trip that covered Bangkok, Phuket, Singapore and Bali. Fortunately, 1hr 30 mins into the [2 hr 30 mins] flight we started making conversation and I ended up getting her number and my friends and I managed to hang out with them in Bali but it was annoying that I had to sit there for almost two hours without making conversation. I don't think she felt the same way though.

On a more serious note:

I covered a lot of my experiences with annoying passengers in the "disgusting things you've seen in flight" thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23664277-post392.html
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
[QUOTE=Sheikh Yerbooty;23723561]Well I'm not afraid to put a name on the most irritating passenger I've ever had onboard. His name was (and might still be, if he's still alive) Mamool and he was a thoroughbred Arabian racing stallion, owned by the Godolfin stables (i.e. Sheikh Maktoum of Dubai), jockey'd by Frank Dettorio and one of their most prized horses.

[QUOTE]

For me it's the guy who thinks that the fact that someone is Arabian somehow contributes to a story like this.

So far we've also had passengers described as French, Russian, Australian...no complaints there.
Me? I find annoying people annoying....and I subtly point that out to them.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:40 am

The two young brothers, late teens, who boarded a flight
that had already been delayed 2 hours from DTW > SAT.

On a CRJ-700... one of them sits beside me and proceeds
to "unpack" placing some items under the seat in front of
me... then turns and says "Sorry" to me.

Then immediately, the two of them complain to the FA that
they want to sit together even though one was directly in
front of the other. They sort it out and the brother beside
me gets to pack up and move.

Amazing to me that a teenager thinks it is acceptable to
place items in my stretch space without asking on a 3.5
hour flight. I specifically do not place items under the
seat in front to give myself some stretch and re-position
space on these.

As it turned out I did not need to get into a "discussion"
with him about why it was not acceptable.

Never encountered anything like this before or since. It
seems travel brings out the worst in some folks.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Had a woman describe all of her divorce details to me on a 1.5 hour flight. Even the flight attendant noticed and just handed me a mini of gin.

On the return, it was a male with another detailed divorce story he just had to unload on me. TMI.
Have you tried sympathizing with their exes? That generally gets them to stop talking to me.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: *A, PD
My worst experience was a AUH-YYZ flight a few years back. This was a daytime flight (left at 10:20am local time and arrived at 3:50pm Toronto time or something like that), so a 14.5hr flight. This was on Etihad and they had a 3-4-3 seating arrangement in economy and I had an aisle seat in the middle section. For most of the flight I ate/drank and watched movies. But during the last hour or so of the flight, this twat child kept running up and down the aisle, back and forth, playing with peoples chairs and touch screens and shrieking loudly. This child even started messing around with my screen when I was watching a movie. This kept on for over an hour and if I remember correctly, her younger brother also joined in on this. Parents sat there and did nothing about it.

I swear this was the closet I have ever came to murdering a child or tripping her as she ran past.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
My 5 yr old and i just flew sin-fra and we were on the three side with an empty window seat. The FA annonces boarding completed and I am already celebrating our luck at having an empty seat next to us when I see one last minute passenger hurrying down the aisle and heading right to our row. Darn.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by TheFerret
My worst experience was a AUH-YYZ flight a few years back. This was a daytime flight (left at 10:20am local time and arrived at 3:50pm Toronto time or something like that), so a 14.5hr flight. This was on Etihad and they had a 3-4-3 seating arrangement in economy and I had an aisle seat in the middle section. For most of the flight I ate/drank and watched movies. But during the last hour or so of the flight, this twat child kept running up and down the aisle, back and forth, playing with peoples chairs and touch screens and shrieking loudly. This child even started messing around with my screen when I was watching a movie. This kept on for over an hour and if I remember correctly, her younger brother also joined in on this. Parents sat there and did nothing about it.

I swear this was the closet I have ever came to murdering a child or tripping her as she ran past.
I think this possibly a cultural difference with regards to parenting.

I flew from TUN-DXB recently and had several kids doing the same thing. One seemed to be really sick and was trying to slobber all over my seat/me. ... trying grab my headphones, etc. I almost went insane.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tmorse6570

I find that turning my back to the talkers and farting really loud ends these kinds of conversations.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A few years ago I was sitting next to someone with restless leg syndrome. For whatever reason he didn't put away his traytable and after he fell asleep he kept bumping it. The guy must have been used to it because he didn't wake up until he had spilled his drink on himself.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: Aegean *G
august 2014, flew with KLM from Athens to Amsterdam. had an isle seat and next to me where two 65+ y.o gentlemen who as i found out shortly after take off where philosophy lecturers from britain. they were rather talkative and particularly loud. they must have covered and entire story and evolve of philosophy of the last 2500 years...
thank god i had my bose QC15 and managed to get some sleep
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by airmotive
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Well I'm not afraid to put a name on the most irritating passenger I've ever had onboard. His name was (and might still be, if he's still alive) Mamool and he was a thoroughbred Arabian racing stallion, owned by the Godolfin stables (i.e. Sheikh Maktoum of Dubai), jockey'd by Frank Dettorio and one of their most prized horses.
For me it's the guy who thinks that the fact that someone is Arabian somehow contributes to a story like this.

So far we've also had passengers described as French, Russian, Australian...no complaints there.
Me? I find annoying people annoying....and I subtly point that out to them.
Particularly when Mamool is a thoroughbred, not an Arabian \

Still, I think stallions can do DYKWIA like no other being! Size... disposition.. value...
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by petz
Last year my flight ZRH-SIN A380

Something that can be annoying, but forgiveable. FAs that tell you that in Bulkhead you aren't allowed to have carry on in front of you. Before Boarding has completed, before you even started to get your stuff in ther Overhead, the same FA repeateldy within 3 minutes. after the fifth time I barked at "I know let me get the bag up without obstructiong other Boarding passengers" Lady, sorry I barked at you. But I am mighty sure there are other passengers who Need the reminder more than I do, like that Lady that just placed a bag right infront of the Exit door.
In this case perhaps the overheads were filling up quickly and the FA was trying to avoid having to move or even check (most likely your) bags as they would have to be removed from the floor one way or another. I think in this case the FA would rather you obstruct other paxs for a few seconds.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Particularly when Mamool is a thoroughbred, not an Arabian \

Still, I think stallions can do DYKWIA like no other being! Size... disposition.. value...
Ha! Makes sense, as my dog can do it and she's nowhere as large as a stallion.

Comes from how they're treated, I guess, so we should all cut some slack to the DYKWIAs of the world. J/K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.