Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most annoying passenger you've encountered?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most annoying passenger you've encountered?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: virgin flying club silver
Second leg of SYD LHR in economy sat next to a guy who wrote me poems....the whole way. Yes, I hid in the toilets at baggage reclaim for a long time. That was at least ten years ago and still terrorises me now...it was truly awful but with age and experience, I would have handled it differently now. Uggggh.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:29 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by chiltz
Second leg of SYD LHR in economy sat next to a guy who wrote me poems....the whole way. Yes, I hid in the toilets at baggage reclaim for a long time. That was at least ten years ago and still terrorises me now...it was truly awful but with age and experience, I would have handled it differently now. Uggggh.
Ha! That reminds me of a guy I sat next to on a transatlantic flight. He was a yogi/coach/spiritual guru type of guy and had been leading a retreat for the prior month. He kept trying to convince me to use one of his earbuds so I could listen along to one of his own motivational speeches that he was also listening to. And he tried to convince me that I should attend some retreat he was leading in India at some point in the future. I did my best to ignore him, but while we were waiting to disembark I made some comment about how tough it must be for his wife and kids if he's gone for months at a time and he then used that as an opportunity to tell me they live with another couple in some sort of polyamorous relationship and so his wife has plenty of companionship when he's gone and it's a communal parenting situation. Oh.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Sounds delightful.
It is
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
The most annoying passengers for me is always the ones that bring their smelly food on board. If they talk to me, I can put on my headphones and ignore them. If they keep the blinds open, I can put on my eye shade, but there's no way for me to block a smell.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by agp423
The most annoying passengers for me is always the ones that bring their smelly food on board. If they talk to me, I can put on my headphones and ignore them. If they keep the blinds open, I can put on my eye shade, but there's no way for me to block a smell.
perhaps its time for inventing a nose filter....to block unwanted smells or make them pleasant....
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I actually bring a small jar of tiger balm with me to put under my nose when I am around stinky people/food.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I can't recall too many incredibly awful passengers.

I have had more than one flight with earnest evangelists who want to make sure that I have found Jesus. Remarkably, one such woman was so thrilled that I was Jewish as she had never met one of the People of the Book and wanted to know about all of my customs ... in detail. But, she was really sweet so I minded less. [I'm not particularly into organized religion but grew up in a religious family].

I flew AC from YYZ to CDG once with my family using miles, I think, and flew coach. All of the FAs were fairly wide-bodied women (is the acronym POS?) I took an aisle seat and was trying to sleep as it was an overnight flight and one of the FA's had enough size that she was unable to walk down the aisle, which for some reason she did repeatedly, without bumping into my shoulder and waking me up.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by shawbridge
... All of the FAs were fairly wide-bodied women (is the acronym POS?) ...
Since the P in POS stands for "passenger," I don't think it applies here. Perhaps we need a new term: FAOS?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Widebody FA for widebody planes?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Somewhere I've got an old paperback of flight attendant humor written by a couple of career FAs for a legacy carrier. They claimed that it took so long to get enough seniority with their carrier to bid on the good international routes that you'd be long past the 'quick metabolism' days of your twenties before you got London or Paris on a regular basis. And they had a corresponding running joke about uniform sizes for their carrier being known as Extra Small, Small, Medium, and 'International'.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Somewhere I've got an old paperback of flight attendant humor written by a couple of career FAs for a legacy carrier. They claimed that it took so long to get enough seniority with their carrier to bid on the good international routes that you'd be long past the 'quick metabolism' days of your twenties before you got London or Paris on a regular basis. And they had a corresponding running joke about uniform sizes for their carrier being known as Extra Small, Small, Medium, and 'International'.
Now with unions having even more power it's become quite "dramatic" noticing the difference. I fly UA and SQ. SQ has a whole lot of young and beautiful FAs. Their more experienced mothers work at United.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Other pet peeves:
1. Couples who want to trade me their terrible middle seat in the back of the plane so they can sit together, using some kind of forceful social excuse that is hard to refuse, e.g., "my wife is two months pregnant, and I need to sit with her".
2. Passenger in F keep asking me on several occasions to stow and then remove her extra heavy bag from the overhead bin during the flight, instead of asking the much taller male flight attendant sitting at the galley doing nothing. I had to repeat "go ask the FA, he is sitting over there, he will help you".
3. Flight attendant asking me to put someone else's very heavy bag on the overhead bin, coz it was too heavy for her or the bag owner, that was crazy, lol...
4.Very dirty, smelly, and disheveled guy (think homeless) boarding and putting his disgusting bag covered in mud into an overhead bin in F, as he walked by towards the back of the plane. I thought mice and bugs will come out of that thing. I can't even imagine what his seatmates would have gone through.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Don't know whether this is 'annoying' per se, but on a recent flight from DXB-PER, I was fortunate enough to be seated in the exit row with a middle shadow, on a full flight.

Later on in the flight, the flight attendant asked us whether it was alright for another passenger to be seated in the middle seat because his IFE had broken down. I immediately said yes, but she chucked a hissy fit saying that "She had just come of a long haul flight and was really tired and needed the space". I genuinely felt bad for the person with the broken IFE - it's not the shortest of flights ..... Sure having a shadow is nice, but to not share an exit row with others? I wasn't impressed at all by her reasons.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:32 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by Efrem
Since the P in POS stands for "passenger," I don't think it applies here. Perhaps we need a new term: FAOS?
POS usually stands for Person of Size. You can use for Passenger, but Person is way more generic & wide-spread. ^

Perhaps you are mismatching with COS - Customer of Size. But FAOS fits well at OP case.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Restless and over rested legs

Well, at least the restless leg syndrome is a medical condition-(the medicine often makes you nauseated).
I see in overseas night flight, people stretching their legs into the aisle space and you have to trip across several over rested legs to go to the toilet.
Their is only one medicine for that-wake up the person and tell him/her that the plane has landed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.