Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most annoying passenger you've encountered?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

8 hours, NRT-SEA. Guy boarded the plane and could be heard saying "34...34...34..." from the door. I was seated in 33 and knew it was going to be a bad time. "34...34...34...OH HERE IS 34". Guy had an Arabic sounding accent, but appeared to be a naturalized American due to his passport. From his conversation with his seat-mate, I am thinking maybe Lebanese.

Guy sits down, and is extremely loud and gesticulative as he talks to his seat-mate. So loud I can hear the conversation over take-off, so gesticulative that he keeps grabbing the back of my seat for emphasis.

2 hours in, guy has a glass of wine and finally calms down. But whatever movie he's watching is super dramatic! I hear loud screams and wails, occasionally a clap of the hands. After the movie, he is bored, and during midnight over the Aleutians, when 95% of the plans is asleep, guy starts taking pictures of the plane, with flash. I counted 85 photos before I turned around and asked him to refrain, at which point he feigned ignorance of English despite holding a (loud) conversation with his seat-mate earlier.

A couple more hours in, I feel him kicking my feet beneath my seat. He has managed to fully extend his legs (something I at 6'4" can only dream of) and has entered the foot space of my row. I thump his feet a few ....ing times and he gets the point.

Anyway, that's about it, except for the 19 times (counted) that he got up to go to the bathroom or walk up 7 rows to speak to his wife, who inexplicably had a seat in row 27 instead of next to him. Or, perhaps, it was her "mistake" that it ended up that way....
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bongo4
8 hours, NRT-SEA. Guy boarded the plane and could be heard saying "34...34...34..." from the door. I was seated in 33 and knew it was going to be a bad time. "34...34...34...OH HERE IS 34". Guy had an Arabic sounding accent, but appeared to be a naturalized American due to his passport. From his conversation with his seat-mate, I am thinking maybe Lebanese.
Not necessarily annoying, but I regularly see people getting on the plane walking through First Class looking for their seat. Boarding pass says 34J. They look at the first row, "1". Go to the next row. Stop. Look at the row. "2". One row at a time until they get to the end of First Class. They see the smaller seats, stop and start looking at row numbers in First Class again. Just in case the airline accidentally stuck row 34 between rows 2 and 3.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:34 pm

Parents who have no clue how to dress/care for/entertain/distract their child/ren. 'Nuff said.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Guy on a Delta flight who grabbed a whole bottle of the cheap sparkling wine, then somehow got hold of a manifest from the FAs, telling everyone it was OK because he was a "Double Diamond DYKWIA."
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 pm

For me it's the guy who thinks that the fact that someone is Lebanese somehow contributes to a story like this.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
People who act passively aggressive (sighs, loudly turning around) when my 5 year old starts to act up 11 hrs into our 12 hr daytime flt.

I applaud the business traveller who tells me I want to do that too as she finally loses it and starts crying on the desent.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Catusa
People who act passively aggressive (sighs, loudly turning around) when my 5 year old starts to act up 11 hrs into our 12 hr daytime flt.
Depending on what it was. If it was like the child on my last overwater flight who hit my friend in the head with a die-cast car then believe me we'll be having an exchange. Nor will I take crap from parents who didn't appreciate me admonishing their child when their idea of discipline is a smile.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Strange, but in my 100+ TATL and Far East flights never had an annoying passenger near me, except maybe last trip ZRH-YUL, guy next to me probably hadn't showered for at least one week.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 am

I've only flown once over all (4 flights total round trip) and haven't met any annoying ones yet - next time I probably will as that's my luck and I'm no longer that "first time flyer" people are nice to

From what I heard on one flight though, people were annoyed with the baby 2 rows ahead of them since she was talkative, guessing she was around 2 so she wouldn't stop talking lol.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Crew on break - UA777 2A, TATL, flaps the curtains around, lights up my face with his reading light, then does it again, then again when he leaves. Whole cabin vibrates with his footfall. No problems from PAX.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by bongo4

Guy sits down, and is extremely loud and gesticulative as he talks to his seat-mate. So loud I can hear the conversation over take-off, so gesticulative that he keeps grabbing the back of my seat for emphasis.

2 hours in, guy has a glass of wine and finally calms down. But whatever movie he's watching is super dramatic! I hear loud screams and wails, occasionally a clap of the hands. After the movie, he is bored, and during midnight over the Aleutians, when 95% of the plans is asleep, guy starts taking pictures of the plane, with flash. I counted 85 photos before I turned around and asked him to refrain, at which point he feigned ignorance of English despite holding a (loud) conversation with his seat-mate earlier.

A couple more hours in, I feel him kicking my feet beneath my seat. He has managed to fully extend his legs (something I at 6'4" can only dream of) and has entered the foot space of my row. I thump his feet a few ....ing times and he gets the point.

Anyway, that's about it, except for the 19 times (counted) that he got up to go to the bathroom or walk up 7 rows to speak to his wife, who inexplicably had a seat in row 27 instead of next to him. Or, perhaps, it was her "mistake" that it ended up that way....
Are you sure you weren't part of a Chevy Chase movie?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by djibouti
For me it's the guy who thinks that the fact that someone is Lebanese somehow contributes to a story like this.
I kinda thought the same thing. Not sure why that particular level of description was necessary.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:49 am

That one person who is jabbering loudly away while the FA
is going through the safety drill.

Most of us have heard the drill too many times to count but
lets show some respect while the crew are doing their jobs.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by djibouti
+1

Last night in F I had to endure a passenger standing in the aisle directly behind me holding a loud conversation with the person seated there. It went on for a hour, oblivious to the fact that they might possibly be disturbing others.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:55 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
The French couple who got reseated next to me on a CDG-JFK flight a couple years ago. I can only assume their house burned down the night before because they smelled like a bonfire and had clearly lost their deodorant. Oh, and their friend the flight attendant who thought it was perfectly acceptable to have long conversations with them where she leaned from the aisle to rest her lower arm on the back of their seats, meaning that her arm pit was repeatedly within a few inches of my face.

I spent the entire flight holding a scarf across my face.

My mother, who was sitting across the aisle from me, would tell you that the passengers next to her were even worse. Loud, drunk, Russian couple in their 60s who wanted to talk to her the entire time, and she repeated had to remove his hand from her arm, etc.

We couldn't get off that plane fast enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.