Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:02 pm
Suspended

I steal airline spoons.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by ksandness
i have a method for ensuring that there is an empty seat next to me during long-haul flights--and no, I won't share, but it's not illegal, and it doesn't involve eating garlic or otherwise being obnoxious. But it works often enough that I continue to use it with more than 50% success over the past few years.

Despite being a Minneapolis resident, I fly Delta only if there is no other way to my destination.

I have never flown Southwest.

I'd like to try Jet Blue, but it doesn't serve Minneapolis.

I avoid ORD if possible.
How do you know it's your 'system' that keeps the seat next to you free? Maybe it you did nothing you would of gotten the seat free anyway.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I had a full body search by a lovely female agent at LAX and I have to admit that I did like it!!! (wink!)
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If I'm flying an airline without a "native" status, I seek out the smaller RJ's, preferably ones without F. The CR2 or E135 are perfect. They effectively neutralize most of the disadvantages of flying without status. Since I've lost my native United status, I'm thrilled to see more and more little RJ's at MCI. ^

If I have to fly a mainline route or long-haul without elite status, I look for anything not affiliated with an alliance. Alaska is good in the U.S. Aer Lingus is acceptable for TATL. Of course these airlines have elite tiers, but airlines outside of the alliances don't seem to use the tiers to punish the nonelites quite so harshly. On the ground and in the air, it's *somewhat* more egalitarian.

During especially good hotel promo periods, my wife and I will often split a weekend hotel stay into two reservations: one night in my account, one in hers. We'll double our bonuses...this seems to be most common when we stay at an IHG or Carlson property, but occasionally happens during the Marriott Megabonuses or certain stay-based Starwood promos. We're far less likely to hotel-hop.

I flew several TATL's before I knew what airline miles were. When flight attendants walked down the aisle handing out AAdvantage sign-up forms, I thought it was some corporate discount program I'd never use. I was a teenager...I just assumed I was ineligible to join.

When I traveled often for business with my first job out of college, I was always the first one to volunteer for VDB vouchers. Spent a lot of Friday evenings at ORD... I think I valued my time at 15 bucks an hour back then, so a $300 voucher to go sit at an O'Hare sportsbar for a couple hours was a no-brainer.

I don't know why, but for certain hotel stays I get a bit of a thrill out of using Priceline. Sort of feels like I stuck it to The Man a little bit... I tend to use Priceline on rural stays, booked maybe an hour before I check-in, so it's not like I'm saving a ton of cash. It's just fun to get an $89 Sleep Inn for forty bucks every now and then. ^
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:58 am

I often consider routing as well as cost/time/alliance, because I am often bored with flying through the same airport. And then I will admit to often including shopping needs into the equation. If I'm running low on bath products, and know that I won't be in London for awhile, I may try and route via LHR for instance.

Originally Posted by xooz
1. I find FT much less enlightening than it was 7-8 years ago. Not sure exactly what I attribute this to... probably I have learned enough that I am pretty savvy and also I think the large growth of members who grew up posting responses to blogs,news sites etc. so you have to sort through too many worthless posts to find nuggets.
I will confess to that as well, having been a reader here for over a decade. For those of us who were here before the 'big change', I do think that the content and tone has changed. I actually attribute that to the credit card side of things and sometimes feel like this is ChurnTalk. When posters say things like 'we are all here to maximise points/churn etc' I feel like posting 'NO, not all of us came for that reason, and many of us didn't stay for that reason'...

And that leads to my next confession: I will sometimes read FT fora which have no direct impact on me personally, just to hear what other posters are saying. It helps to remind me of the cultural diversity and actual love of travel which brought many of us here all those years ago.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Flyertalk confessional

I take the blankets that are in sealed bags off flights...if I'm in coach and I have to pass gas, if there is a kid near by I will let it go...(I know..I'm going to hell)
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:54 pm

What's with all the Jet Blue hate?

I secretly like long layovers. Especially in an airport I've never been to.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I store garbage in seat back pockets. I will take it out and put it into the garbage when the FA rolls around. But sometimes the seat back bulges and drips (accidentally).
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by irockfm2
I take the blankets that are in sealed bags off flights...
You and my husband! It drives me nuts as we have zero use for them on or off the flight. I now do a quick scan of the carry on and off load them prior to getting off the plane. What do you do with the blankets.

My dirty little secrets/issues -

I avoid coach at costs. I need the extra room of business or first.

I day-drink in first, even in the early morning hours. (My travel is nearly always for pleasure)

I am the parent that sits in first with their child and doesn't give a crap what others think. He is a pro and I am smug when FAs and other passengers compliment his good behavior.

I have no desire to do carry on only. I take a change on clothing in my carry on in case my checked bags are delayed.

I take the airline mags off the plane. My son takes the Sky Mall catalogs. They make for great mindless pool/beach reading.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
I day-drink in first, even in the early morning hours. (My travel is nearly always for pleasure)
Hey, I don't even count it as daydrinking if you *don't* start in the morning!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Sometimes I force connections in ORD to grab a bite at Tortas Frontera
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
I take the airline mags off the plane. My son takes the Sky Mall catalogs. They make for great mindless pool/beach reading.
Wait, you're not supposed to take those mags?? Oops.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by CBear
What's with all the Jet Blue hate?
What JetBlue hate? I see none.

Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei
Wait, you're not supposed to take those mags??
Of course you are.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei
Wait, you're not supposed to take those mags?? Oops.
FAs I've heard announced passengers are welcomed to take the magazines. I never do, but I suppose some might find it to be an interesting read.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
FAs I've heard announced passengers are welcomed to take the magazines. I never do, but I suppose some might find it to be an interesting read.
Yes, you are allowed and even encouraged to take them. My son became obsessed with the US Airway's article a few months back about Williamsburg. He looked at it daily on that trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.