Reload this Page >

Flyertalk confessional

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk confessional

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: Uh, I think I got an extra packet of peanuts once.
I confess to "getting religion" when there is an empty middle seat and I see a COS heading in my direction down the aisle: "Oh Great Divine Being, please let that person be sitting somewhere else than beside me....." When the COS passes by, the door closes and the middle seat is still vacant, I go back to being my usual heathen/pagan/destined-for-hell self.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
I hate it when "bloggers" and people in the know refer to a business class or first class seat as a product to make themselves sound knowledgeable.

I have never flown the A380--Overall, I prefer Boeing myself.

I have never flown Emirates.

Living in DC for many years has left my soul scarred for life from flying UA too many times...And now from EWR!

I quite like AirTran. And have had nothing but great experiences on JetBlue.

I have never flown Emirates.

I get really annoyed with how many obscure acronyms (which sometimes refer to things that don't even exist anymore) are used on Flyertalk.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Another confession..

I do enjoy visiting landmark hotels, and nice hotels in general.. treated as an important patron and enjoying suites. Breakfast, lounge and low rates are a bonus.

I enjoy booking flights on points earned through cc spend

I also enjoy getting better value than other consumers and am willing to pay a little more for it.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: EMT-P
I love this thread!

I like being "smarter" than my friends about travel deals. I'm sure I have been insufferable bragging about my $672 ai RT EWR-MXP via Wideroe.

Oops! Did it again...
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I get really annoyed with how many obscure acronyms (which sometimes refer to things that don't even exist anymore) are used on Flyertalk.
Me too. I dislike TLAs.
... until I discover what they mean, then I use them incessantly. :-)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:14 am

I confess I'm worried there is a Flyertalker in the boarding area silently judging me. I don't want to be silently called Gate Lice when I arrive to the boarding area and there are NO seats anywhere available within a 1/2 mile radius. So I HAVE to stand around....and the only place to stand, without getting knocked around or being creepy-close to people, is in the open area by the boarding desk!

Worrying about being silently judged by a FTer has actually made me a better packer and a smarter traveler. I WORK at not being a kettle! So, thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by GarethK
I turn up way too early to the train station / airport. In the case of the airport I can't 'rest' until I have passed security and the 'right' side of the airport.
I do this too.

That said, I enjoy spending time at the airport. I find airports really interesting, I enjoy checking out the different shops.

I have never received an upgrade. sigh.

I don't mind flying coach.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a really weak travel year and I will be status-less on March 1, 2014. For years I've spent all my disposable income and even incurred debt to travel, especially to earn a lot of status. I have various reasons why but they're really just excuses. I went from 99 segments in 2012 to 43 this year. However, I paid down half my debt, bought things for my house that make my home life much better and started graduate school. The confession really is: I'm much happier now.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
Worrying about being silently judged by a FTer has actually made me a better packer and a smarter traveler. I WORK at not being a kettle! So, thanks!
+1
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Hyatt Platinum
This is my first post.

Over the years, I accumulated a whopping 38K miles on American and let them expire due to negligence.

I flew Southwest once and decided that I never will again.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by GarethK
I travel by train or car more often than not - only one international flight so far for business.

I don't stay at the same hotel chain or fly with the same airline enough to really benefit from reward programmes. That said when travelling to India this year with work I managed to collect enough miles for a free night which I used this year... saved me £105!

I am obsessed with packing / travelling light / new bags etc

My wife travels with work more than me (including domestics flights) and can travel lighter than me - and she doesn't even try as it seems to come naturally.

I turn up way too early to the train station / airport. In the case of the airport I can't 'rest' until I have passed security and the 'right' side of the airport.
She doesn't have to try; it is practice. A year of travel taught me how to go away for three weeks with one carry on and my computer bag. My not-so-traveling husband can't pack light to save his life (or checked bag fees as it were).

It is an art. The art of taking only what you need and knowing you don't need everything. And knowing that in most places if you find you really do need it you can just buy one there!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by mascarak
She doesn't have to try; it is practice. A year of travel taught me how to go away for three weeks with one carry on and my computer bag. My not-so-traveling husband can't pack light to save his life (or checked bag fees as it were).

It is an art. The art of taking only what you need and knowing you don't need everything. And knowing that in most places if you find you really do need it you can just buy one there!
So true. I learned this early on in my many years of travelling by motorcycle and it has simply transitioned into travelling in general (with the "luxury" of a larger bag). Business travel just means that I need to pack business wear...and leave the riding gear home (usually ).
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Jamarynn1
I confess to "getting religion" when there is an empty middle seat and I see a COS heading in my direction down the aisle: "Oh Great Divine Being, please let that person be sitting somewhere else than beside me....." When the COS passes by, the door closes and the middle seat is still vacant, I go back to being my usual heathen/pagan/destined-for-hell self.

+1
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I had a really weak travel year and I will be status-less on March 1, 2014. For years I've spent all my disposable income and even incurred debt to travel, especially to earn a lot of status. I have various reasons why but they're really just excuses. I went from 99 segments in 2012 to 43 this year. However, I paid down half my debt, bought things for my house that make my home life much better and started graduate school. The confession really is: I'm much happier now.
Wow.. Glad to hear that you've made a huge step. Mileage runs, status and points can get addictive and there is the social implications and well being we hardly ever address

In my life, miles and points is a hobby but if I'm not careful it can consume areas not intended in my life.. And this includes Flyertalk and some of the conversations on this board.

I try not to go into every detail of collections and enjoy the overall benefit. I'm mortgage free and flexible in my recreation travels. You've made a huge step in getting things right!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Flyertalk confessional

Although I carry a bunch of their loyalty cards, and even have status in three programs, I really don't care about hotel loyalty schemes. I stay at hotels that I like or that are of interest to me, and if they happen to offer points, fine.

I also confess to renting almost exclusively from Hertz for nearly 25 years, even though they tend to cost more, have too many high-mileage cars, and have managed to screw up the last 4 of 5 reservations. Perhaps this is the year I finally wise up and jump ship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.