Flyertalk confessional

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk confessional

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hoyateach
This is going to repeat some of you but...

I like scheduling long (4-6+ hour) layovers so I can duck out visit a new city, a favorite city, or get together with a friend for a meal or a cup of coffee. Can't do it when traveling with my family but if I'm on my own and I have the time, I'll go out of my way to schedule a side trip like this.

Despite having FT luggage tags for nearly a decade, I have yet to encounter them in the wild on anyone else's luggage, nor has a stranger spotted mine.

The last time I flew in F was on my honeymoon, over 6 years ago. I posted a TR about it.

Despite all my travel experience, it still takes me longer than I'd like to get my things through security.

I take pictures out of the window of aircraft on takeoff and approach even though we're supposed to turn off our electronics.

I have never attended an FT DO.

I could spend hours at a major international airport (JFK, NRT) just watching flight ops.

My background music when working is one of the many ATC feeds at LiveATC.net.

I have not given as much to FT as FT has given to me. But I'm working on that.
4-6 hours IMO is not worth the time, especially depending on airport distance to a city, transport options, and time it takes to get through immigration, customs, and exit control if applicable.
12-15 hours is worth it, though, which I have done (and regularly do 22-23:50 hour layovers in LON to avoid UK APD.)
JFK is more or less a dump of an airport (though not worse than MIA/LAX/ORD) and the AC is often overcrowded so I would get out of there as fast as I could.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:30 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I refuse to eat/drink "reduced guilt," low this or that or similarly termed items. It's not up to the food to be in shape, it's up to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.