Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk confessional

Flyertalk confessional

Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
Something about being in an airport make me want to pay $9 for a $3 beer.
If you cross over into my seat area, I will pretend to asleep and jab you with my elbow.
When flying F in AA for short and mid haul, I will still go to the AC desk and ask if I can enter even though I know you can't, hoping they might let me in.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I like checking in my luggage. (I know, I know)
I can't bring myself to do MR, even though there times I really should have.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by RRDD
I don't mind the CRJ200.
???????????? I think you are missing "I am a very sarcastic person" after that post
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
I don't really mind being delayed in an airport, it sort of prolongs my period of productivity since I know once I get home I'm shifting into procrastination mode.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:32 pm

I must confess the following:

1. I use all the FT Knowledge via Social Engineering to get upgrades at hotels and better seats on the airplane.

2. I go around the Airline Lounge asking people if they are on FlyerTalk.

3. I like drinking local beers and wines when I travel.

4. I read FllyerTalk at all hours of the night.

5. I never flown on a 787 727 or Airbus 300.

6. I work the system to get the best deals possible at the nicest hotels possible in a legal and frugal way so that I can travel more but not spend the rack rates or full fares when doing so. I will take an Oceanview Cabin over a Balcony on a cruise so I can use the money saved for nice hotels.

7. When I smell a good deal and see a good deal I grab it before the next person can. That is after researching it. I have a memorized checklist of questions with answers that I quickly recite to myself before pulling the trigger and booking it. If it matches my needs at the time then I book it and don't look back.

8. I love talking with seatmates if they are up to it. We discuss airfares, traveling through major airports and hotels. I have taught them how to score upgrades at hotels and how to get the best seats on the plane.

9. I love learning insider secretes that actually work. For instance I call the hotel the afternoon before checkin to see if there are upgrades available or to confirm my requests. Usually I get a nicer room than just the plain standard room.

10. I'm online at the 72 hour mark 48 hour mark 24 hour mark 12 hour mark 6 hour mark and 3 hour mark to see if I can get better seats if I have been given a middle seat or one that doesn't recline. I was on a 777 once in the middle seat of the row of 4 and 12 hours before my flight departed i was able to move to a window seat just behind the first emergency exit in Coach.

11. I ask the hotel and resort before checking in for a map of the resort and read reviews online on tips for getting a better room. I always ask for a room on the highest floor available away from the elevator and vending machine with a nice view. I use Google Maps Satellite view to see how the hotel/resort is situated and use it to my advantage.

On Cruise Ships I do the same as well as on airplanes.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:39 pm

This is tough to admit:

1. I use a standard Chase ATM/Debit/Visa.

2. When I login to Flyertalk I simply click New Posts and only scan through the 20 pages of posts.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by hco
I prefer trains over planes ^^
Me too .
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: Too many to list
I have to take zanax night before my flight and one on the way to the airport.
Our plane almost crashed in Samui. A month later very same plane did crashed there (2009).
I was in SE Asia during big tsunami.
In '09 I was on island-to-island boat in Phi-Phi when tsunami sirens went off and I saw people running uphill. I "made good bye" video for my wife and sons when our boat turned around and went farther into ocean to avoid possible tsunami waves.
I still love to travel !!!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I don't post reviews or give recommendations for favourite small hotels or restaurants if it's already difficult to get a booking.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:23 am

I must confess...

Originally Posted by remphish1
...Never flown Business or First class...
I have never even flown

Hope to change that soon
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I have never even flown
Don't feel bad. I had never been in a plane until I was 22.

I've certainly made up for it since and have retained that sense of wonder of travel and flying being something extraordinary and priviliged, despite it being so commonplace these days.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by bowdenj
This is tough to admit:

1. I use a standard Chase ATM/Debit/Visa.

2. When I login to Flyertalk I simply click New Posts and only scan through the 20 pages of posts.
Just wondering if you realize that you don't get the same protections using a Debit Card than using a Credit Card. Perhaps you should switch to a Chase No Annual Fee credit card that earns points.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino
Don't feel bad. I had never been in a plane until I was 22.

I've certainly made up for it since and have retained that sense of wonder of travel and flying being something extraordinary and priviliged, despite it being so commonplace these days.
^

I salute you for retaining your appreciation and wonder of flight. Especially as a frequent flyer these days, I know many aren't thrill to be on a plane (and for good reason), due to hassles such as dealing with the jet lag, surly flight attendants and the delayed flights or lost baggages.

One must be a real plane bluff (like me) to look past all that.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Dec 22, 2013 at 6:33 am
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by forgottenlife
I have never even flown

Hope to change that soon
I worked with someone who was around 30 and never flown before. I haven't talked to him in a couple years, so I'm not sure if he has yet. It definitely wasn't for financial reasons, I just don't think he had a desire to go anywhere. He lives in the STL suburbs across the river in Illinois and worked with me in downtown St. Louis, and I'm not sure he'd ever been outside IL and MO. I didn't get it. He's young, single, has a well paying job with plenty of paid vacation each year, it's the perfect time to go out and see the world. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

And hell, when I was a college student working on campus, my boss was in her 50s and had to go to a conference in Vegas and that was her first time flying. This was a small college town in the middle of nowhere, I guess when you're 2 hours from the nearest commercial airport, you don't fly much. I was a 20 year old college student and wasn't necessarily well traveled at that age (still am not) but I had flown several times growing up. My parents couldn't afford to take us on vacation every summer, but we still got to go a few times, and I had no idea how fortunate I was until meeting someone nearly 3 times my age who had never traveled far enough from home to fly.

I guess the point is, you're not the only one, the time will come eventually.

Last edited by t325; Dec 20, 2013 at 9:35 am
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I wrote a detailed (explaining the loss of features as outlined here on FT) email to Jeff Smisek before 3/31/12 asking him if he was sure using Shares was going to be the best choice versus Apollo. He replied "it is".

I did not send an "I told you so", but I bet he remembers my note!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.