Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous things your company has done to reduce travel expenses

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Indelaware
And I would add that it is not justified for personal travel either. A person who has sufficent cash to spend on F/J should simply give the money to charity rather than spending on self-indulgence.
So when I traveled last month to do volunteer work and it was cheaper to book business class than economy, I shouldn't have gone at all because there's never a reason to book business class, right?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One should always rent a sub-compact, unless extra space is required for cargo which would justify a compact. It is not simply the cost of the car rental, it is the cost on the enviornment. Larger cars burn more fuel and create more pollution.
The last time I rented a car I specifically skipped the bottom option because I knew I would be taking it over some mountains. Normally I would agree with you.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
But sub-compacts frequently fare very poorly in crash testing. I can't really justify a Suburban or equivalent (and the big SUVs have safety problems of their own) but I'd far rather be in an accident in a nice VW Jetta than something like a Fiesta.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:15 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
A person who has sufficent cash to spend on F/J should simply give the money to charity rather than spending on self-indulgence.
Where does one draw the line? You seem to be using a computer and internet connection to post this message. I'm sure that's self-indulgent, too, by some standards.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Of my relatives and friends working for relatively young companies, many seem to have company staff book them using Hotwire for hotel bookings but never willing to do the Priceline NYOP hotel bookings despite the generally greater savings from Priceline NYOP bookings (if you know what you are doing).
We are never ever allowed to pre-pay hotel rooms even if it is a lower rate. The rational being they want us to be flexible and cancel when needed.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by angatol
With your principles how can you justify the mere prospect of death as a reason to fly in J/F? Outrageous I think. I'm sure everyone on this thread will agree...
Don't be a fool. It was an easy justification, but certainly not one that one would want to be in a position to have to make. BTW, it was US$401 for the F seat last year.

Originally Posted by emma69
One could argue that if paid J/F was never justified, warzones aside, then most of us wouldn't be able to afford to fly - as the F/J fares subsidize the Y fares - meaning that the cost for everyone flying economy would increase.
Gee, It must be all those F/J seats on WN that makes them so profitable despite the people in Y. Oh, wait, they don't have F/J.

Originally Posted by pinniped
But really, in most cities you shouldn't rent a car at all. You should arrive at the airport with a well-fitted backpack, running shoes, Gatorade, and enough energy bars to get yourself into the city without a car.

In some locations, it may be acceptable to use a donkey or camel, but those things emit greenhouse gases too so be sure to buy some carbon offsets.
In a great number of cities, one shouldn't rent a car at all. Many cities have good public transit. But where they don't, the common sense thing to do is to rent the best (e.g. small) car available. Sometimes, of course, this takes some effort. When for example, Hertz didn't have a subcomact for me, I walked accross the yard to Avis and said to them, "Here's my confirmation from Hertz, can you meet their price and give me a subcompact, I don't like the way they are doing business today: bingo in a car that fits needs, Hertz out the revenue."

Originally Posted by wrp96
So when I traveled last month to do volunteer work and it was cheaper to book business class than economy, I shouldn't have gone at all because there's never a reason to book business class, right?
It is a rare exception that J is less than an economy seat. I can't help but to wonder if you failed to look on other airlines or other routings to find a better fare.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Many cities have good public transit.
Not good enough. Trains use electricity. You might as well be strip-mining the coal yourself. @:-)

Running and consuming all-natural vegan energy bars is definitely the way to go.

Barefoot running, actually. (It's a growing trend.) You should see the stuff they use to make running shoes...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dranz
> Hertz. That means no Exec Select cars...just the midsize

Midsize? That's luxury for me. I'm required to use Hertz economy cars. Just picked up
my Aveo for a 260 mile drive (one-way). No, I'm not allowed to pay the $1/day my own
self, that it costs to upgrade to a compact. I can drive my own car, but that is non-
reimbursable.

We are encouraged to take every possible upgrade once we get status, as long as we are booked into the allowed car class or less. We are allowed a mid-size by default but I've had a Chrysler 300C (V8 and loaded) for the price of a compact on more than one occasion. Since I know the people at Pittsburgh airport National counter, I've figured out that I can almost always book the cheapest rate and end up in a Fusion or higher. If I am staying local, I just book a compact and end up in a mid-size. If I have a drive, I'll book a mid-size and end up in a Luxury car.

Another contribution to the thread though - The travel department going to red alert because my O/D aren't the same airport. I do a lot of open jaw itineraries because I don't always know where my next stop will be till I get closer to the trip time.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pragakhan
- See, pointless policies that don't do a thing...... Did you try explaining it is the same price? With screenshots as evidence?

Sorry mang
Fully agree. Sadly the bean counters don't. Price doesn't matter - only the class of vehicle printed on the receipt does. The funniest part is that on National receipts, it prints "Class Paid" right next to "Class Driven", so it's very clear what the $ is aligned with. But still no dice.

Don't be a fool. It was an easy justification, but certainly not one that one would want to be in a position to have to make. BTW, it was US$401 for the F seat last year.

Gee, It must be all those F/J seats on WN that makes them so profitable despite the people in Y. Oh, wait, they don't have F/J.

In a great number of cities, one shouldn't rent a car at all. Many cities have good public transit. But where they don't, the common sense thing to do is to rent the best (e.g. small) car available. Sometimes, of course, this takes some effort. When for example, Hertz didn't have a subcomact for me, I walked accross the yard to Avis and said to them, "Here's my confirmation from Hertz, can you meet their price and give me a subcompact, I don't like the way they are doing business today: bingo in a car that fits needs, Hertz out the revenue."

It is a rare exception that J is less than an economy seat. I can't help but to wonder if you failed to look on other airlines or other routings to find a better fare.
Why does it always seem like the most "progressive" or "open-minded" people add the most sweeping, closed-minded statements to a conversation?

Justifying F/J, a large/luxury vehicle, or anything else is a subjective matter. There are value propositions there in terms of employee satisfaction/retention, work performance, scheduling and big-picture cost advantage, and any number of other things. Even in leisure travel, there's subjective value in terms of comfort, feelings of safety, and general personal enjoyment. Who are you (or anyone else) to say what weight those things carry for me or my business, and whether or not they are justified? I'm sorry, when I'm on vacation with my 6 month old, I'm not strapping her car seat in the back of an Aveo or whatever, and I have serious issues with anyone considering her "cargo" to justify the extra space.

If we all went to the format of only obtaining and doing things that we truly need, nobody would fly, drive, travel, use computers, or anything else. We'd just live in the woods and eat berries. Yes, that's the extreme, but as someone else said - where does the line get drawn? I'd contend that each of us draws our own line. I respect your choices, as you apply them to your own decisions. Please respect my choices as I apply them to my decisions.

Shall we continue in OMNI?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
These profound statements about "never" justifying certain forms of travel remind me of something I was reading last week about Indian trains.

Apparently, there are up to 9 potential classes of service you can buy on an Indian train. While most trains only have a few of the 9 classes, the style and quality of the travel seems to range widely from un-air-conditioned wooden benches to modern, first-class sleeper cars. I was researching a trip from Delhi to Jaipur and saw that I could do the lowest possible class for pretty much free (under $5) to $100-150 for a good seat.

By the logic in this thread, should I always book the wooden bench and donate the $100 to some sort of environmental charity? If I bump it up a class or two to something in the middle...say, a $20 ticket...is that an extravagance that I should be embarrassed about?

I think we've strayed a bit from the topic, but it's definitely been worth it.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:23 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

As the last two posts observe, the thread has begun to detour into discussions of environmentally-justified travel decisions. Let's keep this thread focused on the topic of ridiculous travel policies adopted by employers to reduce expenses. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pinniped
These profound statements about "never" justifying certain forms of travel remind me of something I was reading last week about Indian trains.

Apparently, there are up to 9 potential classes of service you can buy on an Indian train. While most trains only have a few of the 9 classes, the style and quality of the travel seems to range widely from un-air-conditioned wooden benches to modern, first-class sleeper cars. I was researching a trip from Delhi to Jaipur and saw that I could do the lowest possible class for pretty much free (under $5) to $100-150 for a good seat.

By the logic in this thread, should I always book the wooden bench and donate the $100 to some sort of environmental charity? If I bump it up a class or two to something in the middle...say, a $20 ticket...is that an extravagance that I should be embarrassed about?

I think we've strayed a bit from the topic, but it's definitely been worth it.
This is just another reason why I need to visit India.

To get us somewhat back on topic, though, I wonder if these policies tend to differ from country to country or region to region. It occurs to me that the culture of travel and service for some places, particularly with regard to international travel, is very different from the bare-budget philosophy that dominates other cultures.

Obviously, there are many shades of this and it can vary even from company to company within the same place, but it'd be an interesting thing to explore.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Paid F/J for corporate travel is never justified under any circumstances.
That's absurd. I travel the world in Y for business (20-30 long haul trips of >10 hours and up to 40 hours) and when I arrived I am normally good for absolutely nothing. I feel like an 80 year old man from the cramped conditons (I'm 33 and I run half marathons most weekends, just for context). The lack of sleep on the plane means that I do not stand a hope of getting in synch with the local time zone for days. My boss sympathises and allows me to book a day or so on the front of my trip to recover, which I don't want to do because I spend enough time away from home already, and which usually ends up making up the fare difference anyway. Add to that the unpleasant effects on your digestive system resulting from eating Y food for a whole day and you've suddenly turned into a bloated zombie.

The times I have fluked a trip in J I've got off the plane in a totally different state and have been effective at my job within hours. True, J travel is not a cure for jet lag but it really really helps.

Regular long haul in Y is hideous and more or less amounts to corporate abuse. J is there for a reason...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by roberino
That's absurd. I travel the world in Y for business (20-30 long haul trips of >10 hours and up to 40 hours) and when I arrived I am normally good for absolutely nothing. I feel like an 80 year old man from the cramped conditons (I'm 33 and I run half marathons most weekends, just for context). The lack of sleep on the plane means that I do not stand a hope of getting in synch with the local time zone for days. My boss sympathises and allows me to book a day or so on the front of my trip to recover, which I don't want to do because I spend enough time away from home already, and which usually ends up making up the fare difference anyway. Add to that the unpleasant effects on your digestive system resulting from eating Y food for a whole day and you've suddenly turned into a bloated zombie.

The times I have fluked a trip in J I've got off the plane in a totally different state and have been effective at my job within hours. True, J travel is not a cure for jet lag but it really really helps.

Regular long haul in Y is hideous and more or less amounts to corporate abuse. J is there for a reason...
This fits my bill exactly, except I'm 31. All the same issues! I deal with it, since our travel policy is pretty great otherwise.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by beachmouse
But sub-compacts frequently fare very poorly in crash testing. I can't really justify a Suburban or equivalent (and the big SUVs have safety problems of their own) but I'd far rather be in an accident in a nice VW Jetta than something like a Fiesta.
Small light cars are bad for the safety of their own occupants but better for the survivability of occupants of other cars, bike riders, and pedestrians involved in collisions with the given car. So when a company policy is to rent the small car, it must be less concerned about the possible loss of its own employees and the liability arising from this than it is by potential lawsuits brought by others whom the vehicle has hit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.