Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Aggressive tip requests

Aggressive tip requests

Old May 11, 12, 1:00 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Aggressive tip requests

I know that there are plenty of threads on the merits of tipping, so it is not my intention to start another one.

However, sometimes people requesting tips can be quite blunt and aggressive, so I started this thread to share stories.

I rode a taxi once (in the US, can't remember where) and the meter read just under $10 so I handed the driver a $10 note. He looked at me and said "thank you" and then added "it is customary to give a tip to taxi drivers". I took out my wallet and handed him a $1 note. He thanked me again and got out to open the trunk. After handing me my bag, he said "you know, the customary tip is 15 to 20%". I didn't like his attitude, so I just said "I don't have any more money" and quickly left.

Any other stories to share?
Old May 11, 12, 1:46 am

Not really. There have been times when tips were refused.

We were in Kiev and went to a random restaurant, enjoyed our meal but did not leave a tip because we had been told that tipping was not customary. We went back a few days later and our server apologized profusely for the quality of service last time and then that's when we realized we probably should have tipped. She received a nice tip after that meal.
Old May 11, 12, 1:55 am

I remember, when fairly young, dining with my cousin (like me, not an American) in a restaurant in Boston. The meal was expensive and the service was, to be honest, pretty awful (putting it kindly), and certainly not in keeping with tone (or expense) of the restaurant. When we left, she left no tip, and the waiter chased after us, crying, "Lady, in this country it's customary to leave a tip!" My cousin replied, "Yes, and in my country it's customary to receive good service."
Old May 11, 12, 2:28 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I was once with a group of customers in a fancy restaurant in Brunswick NJ. The food was good but the waiter didn't smile once and clattered the dishes on and off the table. When it came time to pay I accidentally gave him the one of my two credit cards that was maxed out. He came storming back to the table demanding to know why I was trying to pay with this "useless piece of ****" before frisbeeing it back at me. I handed over the other card and when the check came back to be signed I put a big thick line through the tip part. He followed me down the street demanding I give him a tip shouting "It's f*****g a*****s like you that are the reason I can't feed my kids". Up until then I had been trying to keep my cool in front of the customers, but I couldn't stop myself from turning round and saying, "No, it's s****y service like that that is the reason you can't feed your kids."
Old May 11, 12, 3:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
I had a taxi driver in Las Vegas hold me "hostage" for "only" giving a 20% or so tip. He refused to give me back change so I had to counter-threaten him in order to get my change.
Old May 11, 12, 7:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I remember, when fairly young, dining with my cousin (like me, not an American) in a restaurant in Boston. The meal was expensive and the service was, to be honest, pretty awful (putting it kindly), and certainly not in keeping with tone (or expense) of the restaurant. When we left, she left no tip, and the waiter chased after us, crying, "Lady, in this country it's customary to leave a tip!" My cousin replied, "Yes, and in my country it's customary to receive good service."
^ I so agree with you on this
Old May 11, 12, 8:11 am

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
Not really. There have been times when tips were refused.

We were in Kiev and went to a random restaurant, enjoyed our meal but did not leave a tip because we had been told that tipping was not customary. We went back a few days later and our server apologized profusely for the quality of service last time and then that's when we realized we probably should have tipped. She received a nice tip after that meal.
That's always a rough one for me, being told the same. I tipped a Kiev taxi driver 20% once, and the driver gave me a dirty look. I have no idea why.
Old May 11, 12, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
After eating the in Lower East Side back in the early 1990s we left a tip but not a full 15% because the service was pretty lacking. The waiter chased us out of the restaurant yelling that we had to leave more. That it was "illegal" to tip as little as we did. My boyfriend at the time was pretty damn furious and it was only because we had to get somewhere that we didn't march back in an take the whole tip back
Old May 11, 12, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Originally Posted by rbrenton88 View Post
That's always a rough one for me, being told the same. I tipped a Kiev taxi driver 20% once, and the driver gave me a dirty look. I have no idea why.
Looks like quite a few people these days travel to Kiev, Ukraine ... my homeland. Nice.

Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
After eating the in Lower East Side back in the early 1990s we left a tip but not a full 15% because the service was pretty lacking. The waiter chased us out of the restaurant yelling that we had to leave more. That it was "illegal" to tip as little as we did. My boyfriend at the time was pretty damn furious and it was only because we had to get somewhere that we didn't march back in an take the whole tip back
Any time someone does this to me I take what I gave initially back. Tip is a gesture that is not mandatory.
Old May 11, 12, 9:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The couple of things that I can't stand
  • receipts that print the tip for your bill from 15 to 25 or 30%
  • hotels that leave envelopes or signs saying your room was serviced by Maria, tipping is appreciated
  • and of course places that just add it in hoping you won't notice and tip twice
Old May 11, 12, 9:28 am

Here is something you should know about restaurants and their 20% gratuity that they so nicely add to the bill without even asking.

Most people, tourists especially do NOT question this 20% charge. Like fools they simply pay it.

Here is how to avoid being a schmuck (if I spelled it right)

My Story #1:
So we (2 couples) sitting in a nice NYC restaurant. After a few hours there with nice service, we get our bill .... it's $576. Now .... the food is actually $480 but they added 20% "service" and that's an extra $96.

Now .... I have no problem of tipping 15% and sometimes 20% on a smaller bill, BUT $100 tip??? for 4 people? Nope. Not going to happen.

So, I nicely called the waiter and asked for the 20% to be taken off the bill. He took it back and gave us a new bill of $480. We felt that $50 tip is more than enough.

P.S. I believe that tip should NOT depend on how much you spend. It just doesn't make sense.

Story #2.
In NYC .... 2 couples ... we couldn't catch a cab for 10 min so we grabbed 2 of those petty bikes or whatever they are called. You sit back and the guy peddles to get you to your destination.

Before we got in he said $2 per block. Now ... we actually had to go about 18 blocks (15 min ride). I am assuming $40 per ride and we'll give $10 tip.

As we arrive at our destination says $60 per person..... $120 !
We tell them that we're not tourists and $60 total is what they're getting.

My bike "driver" is kinda OK with it. Takes $60 from me and done.
My friend's driver is not but before he even starts to b*tch about it, my friend kinda get into his face and tells him that he should be happy, he just made $60 in 15-20 min. Be happy man and go on. And so he did.

Lesson .......... prices, tips, etc are not created by God. All of these things are created by "man". It's ok to question things and it's ok to refuse to be taken advantage of.
Old May 11, 12, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've told this one before:

At a restaurant in Montreal a few years back, I was called names (in French that they assumed I didn't understand!) and actually shouted at for 'not' leaving a tip - my father doesn't believe in tipping beyond the 'rounding up' that is done in places in Europe, whereas my mother and I do "as in Rome" (and I live in Canada so hardly new to me) so when my father pays by card, either my mother or I discreetly (by prior ladies room visit to see who has what cash!) leave a 'correct' cash tip tucked under a water glass or similar (we even offer to 'check' the bill for my father as his sight isn't great to make sure we don't unintentionally stiff them!!)

In all my years, in all the world, never has a waiter shouted at us when the slip has read a low amount - a couple have asked whether the service was ok (and my mother and I have our routine down pat for that so everyone is happy, and usually involves distraction of my father while the other one explains our method to the server!) but this guy in Montreal was obnoxious and I made a point of picking the cash up off the table (he hadn't noticed that it was there under my water glass) and pointedly putting it in my purse while telling him why in (albeit poor!) French!
Old May 11, 12, 9:47 am

Programs: F9 Ascent, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Igor718 View Post
Now .... I have no problem of tipping 15% and sometimes 20% on a smaller bill, BUT $100 tip??? for 4 people? Nope. Not going to happen.

So, I nicely called the waiter and asked for the 20% to be taken off the bill. He took it back and gave us a new bill of $480. We felt that $50 tip is more than enough.

P.S. I believe that tip should NOT depend on how much you spend. It just doesn't make sense.
Sorry but I believe that leaving a 10% tip after getting what you described as good service at a high-end restaurant is not polite... it may not make sense to you but the tip DOES depend on how much you spend. Keep in mind that the waitstaff at a higher-end establishment will be serving fewer tables than at a cheaper place, so as to provide you with a level of service appropriate to the higher bill. If everyone tipped 10% on higher bills then a waiter at Per Se could end up taking home less pay in a night than a waiter at Applebees.
Old May 11, 12, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier View Post
Sorry but I believe that leaving a 10% tip after getting what you described as good service at a high-end restaurant is not polite... it may not make sense to you but the tip DOES depend on how much you spend. Keep in mind that the waitstaff at a higher-end establishment will be serving fewer tables than at a cheaper place, so as to provide you with a level of service appropriate to the higher bill. If everyone tipped 10% on higher bills then a waiter at Per Se could end up taking home less pay in a night than a waiter at Applebees.

Sorry but I disagree about tips based on amount spend. So if I go to even better restaurant and spend $600 for two, I should leave $120 tip?

You see ... I don't go to a good restaurant for pampering. I got for good food. I don't need that extra "fake" smile. Just suggest something good and bring it warm enough.

If you believe that 20% is a must then stick with it and pay more than I do. You'll feel better about yourself and I'll have more money left over. ......... no offense.
Old May 11, 12, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier View Post
I wonder if a part of the bill was wine?

I am with others opinions from the other threads on the wine tipping thing - it takes the same effort by the server to open a $50 bottle of wine as a $500 bottle of wine - why would one merit $10 (at 20%) and the other $100 for the exact same actions?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: