Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... 1987
46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way.
no mention of First Class service on this jaunt, so how about a US Air DC-9-30 via their Charlotte and Pittsburgh hubs
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
55. Fresh off a snowy week of work in Edmonton, Alberta, you’ve been informed that your next assignment lies south of the border – two borders, in fact – way down yonder in sunny Monterrey, Mexico. Fully expecting a convoluted itinerary involving multiple connections, you’re flabbergasted when your travel department informs you that there’s a direct flight making three enroute stops from Edmonton all the way down to Monterrey. Additionally there’s a change of equipment at the first stop, from a smaller aircraft to a larger one. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the two aircraft to be flown along the way.

This may have been Continental operating a routing of Edmonton (YXD) - Calgary (YYC) - Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Houston (IAH) - Monterrey (MTY).

The equipment out of Edmonton may have been a B737-200 with a change to a B727-100 at Calgary with this aircraft then continuing on to DFW, IAH and MTY.

However, note the airport code I used for Edmonton: YXD (and not YEG) which was the former location of the now closed Edmonton City Centre Airport (formerly known as Edmonton Industrial Airport).

Correct! Here's the schedule:

Continental 498
YXD-YYC 1145a -1225p 73S X6
YYC-DFW 115p - 544p 727 L X6
DFW-IAH 620p - 713p 727 Daily
IAH-MTY 755p - 811p 727 S/ Daily

Was Continental really operating the YXD-YYC leg with a 73S or did CO make a deal with Canadian (CP) to fly this leg with one of their 73S aircraft and then use a CO flight number denoting a through service from Edmonton to Texas and Mexico?

Of course no CO branded flights show up between YXD and YYC - even as a code share. However, there is a flight operating between YXD and YYC that exactly matches the departure time, frequency and equipment indicated for CO 498. That flight is:

PW 601 YXD-YYC 1145a - 1225p 73S X6
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way.

No mention of First Class service on this jaunt, so how about a US Air DC-9-30 via their Charlotte and Pittsburgh hubs.

Akron is definitely US Air country. Unfortunately, Nassau is not, i.e. there are no US Air flights into NAS. As you've correctly deduced however, the airline and aircraft involved does not offer First Class service.

Please - guess again!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
This thread contains an unbelievable wealth of information. You guys are the best.
Thanks, GRALISTAIR! Feel free to join in any time and perhaps one of these days we'll cross paths at a BBQ joint in KC.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Blast From The Past: Final B727-100 Prototype Flight

And here's a proverbial blast from the past....

A Boeing 727-100 prototype, N7001U in the livery of United Airlines, is scheduled to make its final flight this Wednesday, March 2 in the Seattle area on the short hop from Paine Field to the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field where the trijet will then be permanently placed on static display.

I believe this final 727 flight is scheduled for 10:30am PST. And if anyone discovers a link that might just have live coverage of this event, please let us know!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A Boeing 727-100 prototype, N7001U in the livery of United Airlines, is scheduled to make its final flight this Wednesday, March 2 in the Seattle area on the short hop from Paine Field to the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field where the trijet will then be permanently placed on static display.

I believe this final 727 flight is scheduled for 10:30am PST. And if anyone discovers a link that might just have live coverage of this event, please let us know!
I had the good fortune to have logged three flights aboard this aircraft, the most recent in 1986. I believe it was active until 1990. Coincidentally, I will be flying down to Seattle tomorrow (March 1st). Unfortunately my transcon flight on the 2nd departs a bit earlier than this flight is planned for. Upon my return I'll look for this plane down below should we execute the usual Boeing Field flyover on our final into SEA.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)

The #1 Boeing 727-100 prototype, N7001U in the livery of United Airlines, is scheduled to make its final flight this Wednesday, March 2 in the Seattle area on the short hop from Paine Field to the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field where the trijet will then be permanently placed on static display.

I rode on this jet in April 1987, LAX-MDW

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 29, 2016 at 6:37 pm
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
N7001U

I had the good fortune to have logged three flights aboard this aircraft, the most recent in 1986. I believe it was active until 1990. Coincidentally, I will be flying down to Seattle tomorrow (March 1st). Unfortunately my transcon flight on the 2nd departs a bit earlier than this flight is planned for. Upon my return I'll look for this plane down below should we execute the usual Boeing Field flyover on our final into SEA.
Here's some interesting info concerning the first Boeing 727-100 (actually a B727-22), N7001U:

* First test flight on Feb. 9, 1963

* First flight for United on Oct. 6, 1964

* Purchase price: approx. $4.4 million U.S.

* In service for 27 years with the final flight for United in 1991

* 64,495 flight hours on the airframe

* 48,060 landings on the airframe

* Approx. three million passengers transported by N7001U

* Estimated total gross revenue earned by N7001U: approx. $300 million U.S.

* This Wednesday, March 2 will mark the first time in 25 years that N7001U has flown..... and the last time it will ever fly.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 29, 2016 at 6:44 pm Reason: additional info
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS 1987

46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way ?
46. Hmmmmm.....well, Piedmont had a few international destinations and I believe Nassau was one of them.

So let's go with good old PI operating a B737-300 on a routing of Nassau-Charlotte-Dayton-Akron.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hmmmmm.....well, Piedmont had a few international destinations and I believe Nassau was one of them. So let's go with good old PI operating a B737-300 on a routing of Nassau-Charlotte-Dayton-Akron,

Hmm... sounds good to me. But pfffft! What do I know?

Unfortunately Piedmont was not flying to Nassau during the period covered by the OAG used to reference this question. Please pick another airline. And route.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

46- one more try: the only other carrier I can place at both NAS and CAK is Eastern; the problem is that I can't recall any single-cabin EA service on their DC-9-30s except those that served the DCA<-->LGA<-->BOS AirShuttle routes
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

One more try: The only other carrier I can place at both NAS and CAK is Eastern. The problem is that I can't recall any single-cabin EA service on their DC-9-30s except those that served the DCA<-->LGA<-->BOS AirShuttle routes.

Eastern did indeed serve both NAS and CAK but y'know... the only single cabin flights I can recall on Eastern were the air shuttles as well. So c'mon now - Don't make me have to call WHBM down here! . Please, guess again!

BTW, are you sure the aircraft was a DC-9?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 29, 2016 at 11:42 pm
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA
Up early here to make a suddenly required booking on a flight to Belfast. I mentioned upthread how, back in the late 1970s, British Airways put Tristars on the run. Now things are reduced to a Dash 8-Q400, although it uses a different airport at both ends of the run.

Don't make me have to call WHBM down here!
No point. He doesn't have a clue either.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way
46. Take two and wild guess time.....

Braniff, Inc. ("Braniff II") operating a BAC One-Eleven on a routing of Nassau (NAS) - Orlando (MCO) - Columbus (CMH) - Akron (CAK).
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

46. You are enjoying the sand and surf in sunny Nassau when the boss calls and says he needs you to fly up to cloudy Akron, Ohio A.S.A.P. Turning to your trusty pocket flight guide, you’re surprised and delighted to discover that a single two stop direct flight is offered in this market. Identify the airline, the aircraft utilized and the two enroute stops you’ll make along the way

Take two and wild guess time..... Braniff, Inc. ("Braniff II") operating a BAC One-Eleven on a routing of Nassau (NAS) - Orlando (MCO) - Columbus (CMH) - Akron (CAK).

The airline was not Braniff II but with this guess you are getting much warmer. You've even got one of the stops right - Orlando. Please, continue on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.