Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The New York Times has a nice slide show of airline posters that might appeal to folks on this forum:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...lide-SX4N.html
Thanks for the link! ^

I actually remember seeing the "Southern California via United Air Lines" poster created by Stan Galli featuring a platinum blonde wearing sunglasses.....which makes me an old timer.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 6, 2015 at 2:17 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
With our IT problems here in the wilds of Alaska hopefully in the rearview mirror, I've had a few minutes to review some of the past posts that I wasn't able to access previously. Just for the record, I'd like to state that WHBM is 100% spot on with his answer to this question:

3. In 1966 five airlines operate domestic flights with DC-6s while another three utilize DC-7s. Identify each respective airline.
Hint
: Only one airline operates both types. ALMOST THERE - DC-6s are correct, and now we need only the missing DC-7 operator... ...

See post 7486 for WHBM's complete answer.

19. Identify the westernmost city with domestic service aboard a DC-7. Further identify the airline and the route flown.

This would be Braniff operating a DC-7 on a late night flight between Denver and Dallas. Interestingly, I was unable to find an inbound DC-7 flight into Denver. Any chance Braniff was operating a freight only flight into Denver and a combi flight back down to Dallas? There is no indication of such in the OAG.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Alright then - here's a few more questions gleaned from a 1982 pocket flight guide. I should mention however that a sudden call to venture out to the far ends of Denali National Park via the 1230 Eielson run has robbed me of this day off but it's a beautiful day and so Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go! That said, I likely won't get around to answering any responses until tomorrow.

Finally, a tip of the cap to WHBM for his approach to these quizzes...

Originally Posted by WHBM
I don't have an old NA OAG to hand here, unlike others, but as far as I recall...
As always, please limit your response to no more than 2-3 questions at a time so that others might experience the enjoyment derived from also having a chance to participate...

All questions are sourced from a 1982 Pocket Flight Guide

1. We’ll begin with a flight from Fairbanks to Seattle. Two airlines offer nonstop service on this route, both operating the same type of equipment. Identify the two airlines and the equipment flown. ....A N S W E R E D

2. Continuing on from Seattle to Houston, we find five airlines offering direct flights but only one (separate from the other five) offering nonstop service. That’s the flight we want. Identify the airline and, if you like, the equipment flown. A N S W E R E D

3. Vamanos á Mexico! This airline offers the only nonstop service between Houston and Acapulco via a single daily flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized.

4. A sailing charter out of Acapulco goes awry and – after eight daze at sea – we wash ashore at Puerto Vallarta. Following a quick shower, a variety of tequila based cocktails and a hot meal – not necessarily in that order – we head out to the airport for our flight up to Los Angeles. Two airlines offer a single nonstop flight – one of them Mexican and the other American. We opt for the US carrier which offers a 4X weekly flight up to Los Angeles. Identify the airline and – if you like – the aircraft used.

5. After an entertaining couple of days in the City of Angels, we’ll fly across the country to New York City, which as you know is served by three airports – two of them capable of handling transcon flights. Two airlines operate all economy class configured widebodied aircraft, each offering nicely discounted fares. Identify each airline and the aircraft it operates between Los Angeles and New York. A N S W E R E D

6. Continuing on to Albany, New York, we’re surprised to find that only one airline operates nonstop jet flights between any of the three New York airports and ALB. That airline operates three daily nonstop to New York’s capitol city. With no desire to clamber aboard a tiny and cramped Shorts or Beechcraft airliner, we book a flight aboard one of this airline’s jet flights. Identify the airline. A N S W E R E D

7. Returning by road to the greater New York metropolitan area, we now set our sights on a flight across the border to Montreal aboard one of the three foreign carriers that enjoy Fifth Freedom rights between New York-JFK and Montreal Mirabel. Identify each of these airlines and the equipment it operates between JFK and YMX. A N S W E R E D

8. Returning to the United States, we head southwest aboard the only widebodied flight offered on the Montreal to Chicago market. Identify the airline and the aircraft used. A N S W E R E D

9. A good friend calls and asks if you’d like to join him on a drive to the top of 14,110’ high Pike’s Peak. He’s already enroute from his home in Minnesota and suggests that you could meet him in Colorado Springs tomorrow evening. Ya sure, you betcha! A quick call to your local travel agent reveals the ORD-COS market is served by a single nonstop flight. Everything else connects through Denver. You’ll take the nonstop please. Identify the airline and aircraft upon which you’ll be flying. A N S W E R E D

10. While enroute to Colorado Springs, a quick perusal of a recently acquired OAG reveals that four Wyoming cities are served by either nonstop or direct jet flights from Denver. Identify the four cities and – if you feel up to it – the airlines that serve them. A N S W E R E D

11. Strong headwinds turn the normally 2 hour and twenty minute flight between Chicago and Colorado Springs into a three hour and twelve minute marathon. While others around you moan and groan, you delve deeper into your OAG to consider your options between Denver and Salt Lake City. Five airlines offer flights with First Class cabins. One airline offers a flight with a Business Class cabin (in lieu of a First Class cabin) and five airlines offer flights aboard aircraft configured in an all economy class configuration. So, let’s divide this question into three parts of which you may choose to answer any one or all.
11A: Identify each of the five airlines that offer flights aboard aircraft with a First Class cabin A N S W E R E D
11B: Identify the airline that offers a Business Class cabin (Not in combination with a First Class cabin) A N S W E R E D
11C: Identify each of the five airlines that offer flights aboard aircraft configured entirely in Y Class Looking for just one more airline (FL TT WA so far)
HINT: Two of these airlines also operate flights between DEN and SLC with First Class equipped jets

12. Three airlines serve the Salt Lake City to Phoenix market – all of them offering flights operated with 727s. Only one of the airlines operates its flight with a 727-100 series aircraft. Which airline is it? A N S W E R E D

13. Three days of baking in Arizona’s extreme heat have you yearning for a hot cup of coffee on a cold rainy day in Washington’s Emerald City. While the PHX-SEA market is served by five airlines offering direct one-stop service, only a single nonstop flight is offered by one of the airlines. Identify the airline and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft utilized on the nonstop PHX-SEA sector.

14. Continuing on down to Portland, you find that eight airlines offer nonstop flights on the route utilizing aircraft ranging in size from turboprops to widebodies. Only three airlines offer flights aboard all Y class configured aircraft. Identify these three airlines and – if you’re up to it – the aircraft so configured by each airline. I N ..P L A Y QX F27 & WC 727 correct. Still looking for the other airline and aircraft

15. Alright, alright, enough already of this damned rain! You quickly book a flight aboard this airline’s affordably priced two stop service between Portland and Palm Springs. The single flight is the only service offered between PDX and PSP. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stops. A N S W E R E D

16. For reasons not germane to this quiz, we’ve decided to take a ride aboard Amtrak’s Sunset Limited between Palm Springs and Tucson, Arizona. Upon arrival in Tucson, we’ll enjoy a delicious breakfast burrito at Garcia’s across from the train station before relocating to the airport for this afternoon’s flight up to San Francisco. Two airlines offer nonstop service between TUS and SFO, but only one of the offers First Class service. You choose to buy a ticket in First Class aboard that flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying. Then, if you feel up to it, you could have a gander at what the other airline is and what type of aircraft it operates on the TUS-SFO route.

17. After having recovered sufficiently from three straight nights spent jamming with the world’s most talented and eclectic (though hardly its most popular) rock band, it’s high time to head across country to the Big Apple aboard the one and only all economy class configured flight operating between SFO and JFK. Please identify the airline as well as the aircraft utilized for this service.

18. Once again, an old friend has called and asked if you’d care to join her for a weekend of sun and fun frolicking along the Yucatan Peninsula. A flight to Cancun will be required – at your expense. She’ll have a bottle of tequila waiting upon your arrival at the hotel. A quick call to New York’s Liberty Travel reveals that the NYC-CUN market is served by a single twice weekly nonstop flight departing out of JFK. Identify the airline operating this flight. A N S W E R E D

19. Making your way to Merida by bus, you both travel by train between Merida and Mexico City before deciding to return to the US via the relatively less hectic entry point of McAllen, Texas. The MEX-MFE market is served by three daily nonstops operated by this airline. So uh, which airline is it?

20. Once you’ve cleared customs at McAllen, you return to the small gate area to board this airline’s nonstop jet service to Houston’s Hobby Airport. Identify the airline and the jet upon which you’ll be flying.

21. There’s this little café in the Albuquerque Sunport that makes the most awesome gazpacho! Let’s go get some! Now Southwest and Texas International offer a multitude of direct flights between HOU/IAH and ABQ, but only one airline offers nonstop service with a single afternoon departure. Identify the airline and the equipment used on this route.

22. Somehow the job managed to track down your whereabouts and has now reached out with a request to attend to a “little” matter outside of Hartford, Connecticut. Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows no nonstops and only a single direct flight between Albuquerque and Hartford. That flight makes two enroute stops. Sigh… Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the enroute stops. And what the heck – IF – after all that, you still feel up to it then go ahead and have a go at the aircraft type as well.

23. Your business is completed in Hartford and now you’d like to fly out of town. The destination doesn’t matter, but the aircraft does. It must be an F27. Identify the only airline that flies an F27 into or out of Hartford. A N S W E R E D

24. Identify the three airlines that flew foreign built twin jets into Boston’s Logan Airport in 1982. A N S W E R E D

25. After a scenic ride along the old New York Central “See Level Route” to Buffalo via Amtrak’s Lakeshore Limited, you’ve booked a one-stop flight to Detroit that indicates it’s operated with a well known business jet. Identify the airline and the type of business jet used. Have a go at the intermediate stop as well if you’d like. A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 13, 2015 at 1:19 am
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
6. Continuing on to Albany, New York, we’re surprised to find that only one airline operates nonstop jet flights between any of the three New York airports and ALB. That airline operates three daily nonstop to New York’s capitol city. With no desire to clamber aboard a tiny and cramped Shorts or Beechcraft airliner, we book a flight aboard one of this airline’s jet flights. Identify the airline.

24. Identify the three airlines that flew foreign built twin jets into Boston’s Logan Airport in 1982.
6. I remember flying LGA-ALB-EWR on US Air around this time. Northbound was a jet, the return was a crop-duster.

24a. US Air with BAC One-Elevens (some of which I flew aboard into/out of BOS).
24b. Empire Airlines with F28s (Empire then merged into Piedmont which was then merged into US Air). (I didn't ride these birds until they were absorbed into US' fleet).
24c. Quebec Air also with BAC One-Elevens.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

1. We’ll begin with a flight from Fairbanks to Seattle. Two airlines offer nonstop service on this route, both operating the same type of equipment. Identify the two airlines and the equipment flown.

15. Alright, alright, enough already of this damned rain! You quickly book a flight aboard this airline’s affordably priced two stop service between Portland and Palm Springs. The single flight is the only service offered between PDX and PSP. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stops.
Many thanks to Seat 2A for yet another batch of great quiz items!

1. Alaska Airlines and Northwest, both operating B727-200 equipment.

15. Pacific Express operating a BAC One-Eleven on a routing of Portland (PDX) - Medford (MFR) - San Francisco (SFO) - Palm Springs (PSP).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
...7. Returning by road to the greater New York metropolitan area, we now set our sights on a flight across the border to Montreal aboard one of the three foreign carriers that enjoy Fifth Freedom rights between New York-JFK and Montreal Mirabel. Identify each of these airlines and the equipment it operates between JFK and YMX.
CSA (Czechoslovakian) and LOT (Polish) with Ilyushin IL-62s (probably the "M" variant), and RAM (Royal Air Maroc) with a 747-100/200

14. Continuing <from SEA> to Portland, you find that eight airlines offer nonstop flights on the route utilizing aircraft ranging in size from turboprops to widebodies. Only three airlines offer flights aboard all Y class configured aircraft. Identify these three airlines and – if you’re up to it – the aircraft so configured by each airline. ...
Horizon with a Fairchild F-27; Wien and AirCal with 737-200s
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
6. Continuing on to Albany, New York, we’re surprised to find that only one airline operates nonstop jet flights between any of the three New York airports and ALB. That airline operates three daily nonstop to New York’s capitol city. With no desire to clamber aboard a tiny and cramped Shorts or Beechcraft airliner, we book a flight aboard one of this airline’s jet flights. Identify the airline.

I remember flying LGA-ALB-EWR on US Air around this time. Northbound was a jet, the return was a crop-duster.

US Air would seem the logical choice and yet they offered no flights with either prop or jet on the NYC-ALB route. Please guess again!

24. Identify the three airlines that flew foreign built twin jets into Boston’s Logan Airport in 1982.

24a. US Air with BAC One-Elevens (some of which I flew aboard into/out of BOS).
24b. Empire Airlines with F28s (Empire then merged into Piedmont which was then merged into US Air). (I didn't ride these birds until they were absorbed into US' fleet).
24c. Quebec Air also with BAC One-Elevens.

US Air BAC One-Elevens and Empire F28s are correct.

As for Quebecair One-Elevens, I can find no schedules reflected in my pocket flight guide that indicate QB service into BOS. The route most associated with QB's Boston service - YUL-BOS - shows only Delta flights. A quick perusal of QB history over the internet shows no service was ever operated into BOS out of Quebec City.

Keep in mind I am working from a Pocket Flight Guide, but again it shows no QB flights on the YUL-BOS route. Quebecair ran into some financial difficulties in the early 1980s and I recall reading that the 1-11s and F27s were removed in favor of HS-748s and 737-200s. Further, in 1983 some of the Boeing 737's were sold and replaced by BAC 1-11's. Any thoughts on this?

For the time being, I'll still be looking for one more operator of a foreign built twin-jet, but of course remain ever so ready to amend the correct answer to four operators!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 7, 2015 at 2:04 am
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Many thanks to Seat 2A for yet another batch of great quiz items!

Thank you, JL. Our admiration for each other's efforts in this regard is indeed mutual!

1. We’ll begin with a flight from Fairbanks to Seattle. Two airlines offer nonstop service on this route, both operating the same type of equipment. Identify the two airlines and the equipment flown.

Alaska Airlines and Northwest, both operating B727-200 equipment.

Correct! I believe Pan Am pulled out of the FAI-SEA market in 1979. I sure miss those late night 747s down to Seattle!

15. Alright, alright, enough already of this damned rain! You quickly book a flight aboard this airline’s affordably priced two stop service between Portland and Palm Springs. The single flight is the only service offered between PDX and PSP. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stops.

Pacific Express operating a BAC One-Eleven on a routing of Portland (PDX) - Medford (MFR) - San Francisco (SFO) - Palm Springs (PSP).

How the heck did you know that?! Good call though - Pacific Express it was! I took my first flight aboard Pacific Express the very next year, courtesy of Amtrak due to a misconnect. The flight from LA to SFO via Modesto and Stockton was on time - a good thing as I had a concert at Frost Amphitheater to attend later that afternoon.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Hey J! Ah mon be in Seattle on a number of occasions in September and October. Praps we can get together sometime. I'll also be passin' through Baltimore in late September...

7. Returning by road to the greater New York metropolitan area, we now set our sights on a flight across the border to Montreal aboard one of the three foreign carriers that enjoy Fifth Freedom rights between New York-JFK and Montreal Mirabel. Identify each of these airlines and the equipment it operates between JFK and YMX.

CSA (Czechoslovakian) and LOT (Polish) with Ilyushin IL-62s (probably the "M" variant), and RAM (Royal Air Maroc) with a 747-100/200

CSA and Royal Air Maroc are correct, as well as the equipment operated. However, LOT (Look Out Tower!!) is not listed in the YMX-JFK schedules I'm working from.

In 1985 I flew a CSA IL-62 from JFK up to YUL, overnighted in the airport and then flew back to New York the next day in First Class aboard a Royal Air Maroc 747SP leased from South African. The CSA flight featured sandwiches and pilsner doled out by stout no-nonsense flight attendants. The RAM flight featured comfortable seating on the upper deck although ottomans had to be brought out to complete the "Sleeper Seat" leg rest.

14. Continuing on down to Portland, you find that eight airlines offer nonstop flights on the route utilizing aircraft ranging in size from turboprops to wide-bodies. Only three airlines offer flights aboard all Y class configured aircraft. Identify these three airlines and – if you’re up to it – the aircraft so configured by each airline.

Horizon with a Fairchild F-27; Wien and AirCal with 737-200s

Horizon is correct with F27s. Air Cal did not operate between SEA and PDX - at least not in the PFG that I'm referencing - and as for Wien... it wasn't a 737-200...
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:14 am

I think the other foreign twin jet operator at BOS would be EA, with A300s.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:25 am

Here are my other guesses:

2. Your comment that the only airline with a nonstop did not also offer direct flights means the nonstop airline did not also have a hub in DEN or DFW... which points toward Pan Am, with 727s.

13: Republic, 727-200

18: United, with DC-8-61s / 71s.

25: Heussler Air Service, with a Lear Jet via ERI.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:28 am

Which concert were you attending at Frost Ampitheatre?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
11b Continental Airlines - I seem to recall it was around this time they changed to BusinessFirst.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15. Alright, alright, enough already of this damned rain! You quickly book a flight aboard this airline’s affordably priced two stop service between Portland and Palm Springs. The single flight is the only service offered between PDX and PSP. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stops. A N S W E R E D
15. So how the heck did I figure this one out? Well, I flew on Pacific Express a number of times back when I lived in Santa Barbara. They initiated service from SBA with the One-Eleven to LAX and also to SFO with some flights to the Bay Area making an intermediate stop in BFL. And yours truly also flew them out of MOD one fine morning and later out of PSP one fine afternoon.

Plus, I interviewed for a marketing position with Pacific Express at their headquarters in Chico. So I made sure I was very informed concerning their route system before the interview. However, before a decision could be made, they were out of business having never received any of the BAe 146 aircraft they had ordered. Pacific Express was also the only California-based new start up air carrier ever to operate the One-Eleven in the Golden State.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 7, 2015 at 9:17 am
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. A good friend calls and asks if you’d like to join him on a drive to the top of 14,110’ high Pike’s Peak. He’s already enroute from his home in Minnesota and suggests that you could meet him in Colorado Springs tomorrow evening. Ya sure, you betcha! A quick call to your local travel agent reveals the ORD-COS market is served by a single nonstop flight. Everything else connects through Denver. You’ll take the nonstop please. Identify the airline and aircraft upon which you’ll be flying.

11. Strong headwinds turn the normally 2 hour and twenty minute flight between Chicago and Colorado Springs into a three hour and twelve minute marathon. While others around you moan and groan, you delve deeper into your OAG to consider your options between Denver and Salt Lake City. Five airlines offer flights with First Class cabins. One airline offers a flight with a Business Class cabin (in lieu of a First Class cabin)......

11B: Identify the airline that offers a Business Class cabin (Not in combination with a First Class cabin)
6. Let's go with Eastern operating a B727-200 between Albany and New York JFK. And I think Braniff International may have operated ALB-LGA and ALB-JFK service with the 727 in 1981.

9. Sure sounds like TWA flying nonstop from ORD to COS with a B727-200.

11B. Perhaps this was Republic operating DEN-SLC with former Hughes Airwest B727-200 and/or DC-9-30 aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.