Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jrl767
B-17G N9232Z “Sentimental Journey” (owned and operated by the Commemorative Air Force) on final for BFI a few minutes ago
We have a couple of airworthy B-17s over here in the UK as well, inevitably at Duxford (plus a third one in the museum there). About every couple of years, it seems, I hear the approaching hammering of four radials, slam out into the garden, and one flies over the house at 1,500 feet, VFR, using the London City VOR radio for navigation. I'm sure every level of management is up in the tower there with their binoculars. Here's the two about to display at Duxford a couple of years ago.

strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I have a couple of Asia questions ready to go, but I’d like to learn about our guesses on those that our new colleague rt23456p posed last week

hint: think about 747s of various models sporting the colors of 20+ airlines
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by moondog
… tangential question:

Fifi was featured in an episode of which popular TV show?
I don’t actually know the answer to this, but I’m pretty sure she had a starring movie role, being cast as the “mother ship” that carried Chuck Yeager’s X-1A in “The Right Stuff”
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don’t actually know the answer to this, but I’m pretty sure she had a starring movie role, being cast as the “mother ship” that carried Chuck Yeager’s X-1A in “The Right Stuff”
The final (we think) episode of this show airs tonight at 9p, but Fifi (yes, they named it this) debuted six years ago during season 1.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a couple of Asia questions ready to go, but I’d like to learn about our guesses on those that our new colleague rt23456p posed last week

Sounds like it'll be a question about Orient Thai!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Bit vague but all I can think of is the prototype/test a/c that sports the logos of launch customers.

strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:59 am

Here are several questions about a fictional airline that is featured in two popular (connected) TV shows.

1. What is the name of this airline?
2. What was the BIG incident?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I have 40 questions ready to go. Now I just need a reliable laptop. I have a new one on order that should be here by the end of the month. I may be able to get by with the one I have but 12 hour days at present preclude timely responses. That said, you all are getting along just fine without me - something that should carry on quite nicely for a while longer, possibly a good while longer. Glad to see the ongoing repartee between everyone. Great posts, gang! Happy contrails!
moondog, jlemon, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Here are several questions about a fictional airline that is featured in two popular (connected) TV shows.

1. What is the name of this airline?
2. What was the BIG incident?
I assume you're talking about Wayfarer, the airline that has a mid-air collision in Breaking Bad and is flown by the titular character in the last episode of Better Call Saul. (Which is also the show that "Fifi" appears in, as the backdrop for a commercial.)

Now a *real* fan question would be to identify all of the routes used by Werner Ziegler's crew when they leave the US, and which ones were historically accurate at the time the episode was set.

I signed up for AMC+ to catch the last season of BCS and was pleased to find that they also carry Pan Am, which is a fun little series to watch for the kind of people who follow this thread.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by joejones
I assume you're talking about Wayfarer, the airline that has a mid-air collision in Breaking Bad and is flown by the titular character in the last episode of Better Call Saul. (Which is also the show that "Fifi" appears in, as the backdrop for a commercial.)

Now a *real* fan question would be to identify all of the routes used by Werner Ziegler's crew when they leave the US, and which ones were historically accurate at the time the episode was set.

I signed up for AMC+ to catch the last season of BCS and was pleased to find that they also carry Pan Am, which is a fun little series to watch for the kind of people who follow this thread.
All of Werner's guys were flying from airports within 1000 miles of ABQ to various places in Germany, and none took the same flights. I don't recall the exact flights, but none of them struck me as implausible.

However, in the finale, Saul asked his lawyer friend to fly from ABQ to OMA, and said he needed to connect in Houston. He might have been referring to Wayfarer only because he was loyal to them (and, we'll never know about this fictional airline's route network), but I can think of 3+ faster ways to pull off this trip today, and I'm pretty sure these were in place when episode 13 took place (2016?). What routings would you have suggested?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
All of Werner's guys were flying from airports within 1000 miles of ABQ to various places in Germany, and none took the same flights. I don't recall the exact flights, but none of them struck me as implausible.
There were four routes for the six guys, each leaving from a different airport, and only one was to Germany. The other three were each to different countries in Europe. Two were nonstops/directs and two had intermediate connections in North America.

However, in the finale, Saul asked his lawyer friend to fly from ABQ to OMA, and said he needed to connect in Houston. He might have been referring to Wayfarer only because he was loyal to them (and, we'll never know about this fictional airline's route network), but I can think of 3+ faster ways to pull off this trip today, and I'm pretty sure these were in place when episode 13 took place (2016?). What routings would you have suggested?
I actually thought the same thing watching this episode! Off the top of my head, UA through DEN, AA through DFW, DL through SLC, WN through DAL or DEN.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:37 am

I actually thought the same thing watching this episode! Off the top of my head, UA through DEN, AA through DFW, DL through SLC, WN through DAL or DEN.
I would like to add LAS and PHX to the list, as well.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA
I finally worked out that this is a US TV show, not shown in Britain ... but it made me think of two popular (well, it would be for us lot) British series, probably likewise not making it across the Atlantic, with similar story lines, but quite separate productions. Both concentrated on the actors, their personalities and lifestyles, the lack of money their operations had, and a range of shady characters encountered, as if straight out of a Graham Green novel. The aircraft were incidental, but widely featured.

One was "Buccaneer", 1980, Buccaneer (TV series) - Wikipedia , by the BBC, sort of contemporary for the time, which featured a nascent Bristol Britannia freight operator, Red-Air, operating various grey market cargo charters from Britain around the world. They used a Britannia from Redcoat, a pretty much similar operator of the times, and for economy of production costs had just the port side retitled from Redcoat to Red-Air, left the big "R" on the tail, and took just one single flight as such, with a whole series of air-to-air and ground taxi shots which lasted them for the full series. I wonder if any general viewers noticed we never saw the aircraft's other side.

The other one was "Airline", 1982 Airline (1982 TV series) - Wikipedia , by the competitive commercial ITV company, still at a time when there were just two television stations in Britain, both of whom got huge daily audiences for everything. They surely must have seen the BBC effort and thought they could do better. This was about an immediate post-WW2 charter DC3 operation, Ruskin Air Services, ending up with the Berlin airlift. They made a similar number of shows but were much more ambitious on the aircraft side, bring in major UK DC3 operator of the time Aces High, run by enthusiasts, who did all sorts of trips at the TV producers' expense, and doubtless enjoyed every minute of it.

So there we go. Incidentally, any of the team in California in the next couple of weeks ?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
… One was "Buccaneer", 1980 …

The other one was "Airline", 1982 … So there we go.
indeed, yet more intriguing historical info and insight from Across the Pond

Originally Posted by WHBM
Incidentally, any of the team in California in the next couple of weeks ?
Mrs767 and I will be at the Grand Hyatt SFO the night of Mon 12 Sep … arrive ~1830, depart Tue 13 Sep/0800
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:27 pm

There were four routes for the six guys, each leaving from a different airport, and only one was to Germany. The other three were each to different countries in Europe. Two were nonstops/directs and two had intermediate connections in North America.
Okay. This is something we certainly could look up (or rewatch the episode in question), it is more fun trying to remember.
-I can only recall two of the origin airports (DEN and PHX), and another one was either IAH or DFW
-Mike made the guys drive to these places
-the PHX guy had to connect in YVR; I think the others might have had nonstops, but DEN-ORD-Europe makes sense
-Berlin is the only German destination that I remember; I'm thinking Zurich was another destination

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.