Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
43. (1986) Nairobi is a huge city but unfortunately there is a real dearth of good German restaurants in the CBD. Thankfully your next project has you working in Frankfurt, so you can practically taste that delicious German spaetzle accompanying your freshly grilled brat as you ponder your upcoming travel options. There are many, available on many airlines, but the most affordable one appears to be with an airline that operates all Y configured equipment and offers a single online connection featuring two nonstop flights - one aboard a jet and one aboard a turboprop. It is the only airline offering service between NBO and FRA that meets these parameters. Identify the airline, the routing and the two aircraft types

I think that most of the intercontinental carriers out of Nairobi would serve Frankfurt from their own base with jets, so my guess is that the turboprop is on the first stage of the trip. I wonder about Uganda Airlines then, with an F.27 on Nairobi to Entebbe, then a 707 running Entebbe-Frankfurt-London.

Ah... it was not Uganda Airlines. While an F.27 was involved in the itinerary, it was employed on the second leg. No 707s were involved
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
39. (1973) Never one to take a simple online connection, you’ve found a great way to fly from Dallas to Vancouver, BC. It involves three nonstop flights on three different airlines with each flight operated by the same model of four engine jetliner. Can you provide all of the usual details?

Wild guess time......Braniff International operating a Boeing 720 from Dallas to Denver, Continental operating a Boeing 720B from Denver to Portland, and Western operating a Boeing 720B from Portland to Vancouver.

An excellent guess and one I remember looking at in the formulation of this question. Alas, WA operated the 72S between PDX and YVR. Additionally, the workable routing I found does not involve the 720.

Please, guess again!
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfw88
Maybe I should actually go buy an OAG and then I would know these things
eBay is a great place to start your search
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
40. (1986) Following a productive three days in Abu Dhabi, it’s time to move on to your next assignment in Nairobi, Kenya. There is a once weekly nonstop ABU-NBO flight, but alas, not on the day you need. Thankfully, another airline offers a convenient online connection departing early tomorrow morning and arriving NBO in the early afternoon. The first flight to the connection point makes a single enroute stop, followed by a nonstop into Nairobi. It is the only airline offering an online connection where both flights are aboard vintage four engine jetliners of the same type. As an added bonus, First Class is available on both flights. Airline, routing and equipment please

I’m leaning toward a routing with a short hop from AUH to another major Persian Gulf city and thence to the airline’s hub … “vintage four-engine jetliner” suggests a 707-320, which could be any of several Middle Eastern or African carriers. I’ll open with Sudan Airways, with the stop in Doha/DOH and the connection in Khartoum/KRT

You're on the right track here, J - The aircraft is indeed a 707 but alas, Sudan is not the airline of record here. (It would be possible to fly SD from AUH to NBO but it'd involve a multi-day stopover in Khartoum) FWIW, the enroute stop on the first leg as well as the connecting point was in the country of the airline we're looking for......
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

39. (1973) Never one to take a simple online connection, you’ve found a great way to fly from Dallas to Vancouver, BC. It involves three nonstop flights on three different airlines with each flight operated by the same model of four engine jetliner. Can you provide all of the usual details?
39. Time for an even wilder guess with all flights in question utilizing DC8 equipment: Delta from Dallas to Los Angeles, United from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and CP Air from San Francisco to Vancouver (and, yes, I know that CP usually operated the B737-200 from SFO to YVR but perhaps they slipped a DC8 into their service on the route).
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
40. (1986) < AUH-XXX-NBO > I’ll open with Sudan Airways, with the stop in Doha/DOH and the connection in Khartoum/KRT

You're on the right track here, J - The aircraft is indeed a 707 but alas, Sudan is not the airline of record here. (It would be possible to fly SD from AUH to NBO but it'd involve a multi-day stopover in Khartoum) FWIW, the enroute stop on the first leg as well as the connecting point was in the country of the airline we're looking for......
40- that last clue about both the stop and the connecting point being in the same country points to Saudia … how about AUH-Dhahran/DHH-Jeddah/JED, JED-NBO

39- I flew LAX-YVR on a CP Air DC-8-40 in July 1977 … while I like what jlemon proposed, I tend to agree with his observation about the CP 737 and would therefore offer DFW-LAS-LAX-YVR (DL/UA/CP) as an alternative all-DC8 routing
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA
I think that most of the intercontinental carriers out of Nairobi would serve Frankfurt from their own base with jets, so my guess is that the turboprop is on the first stage of the trip. I wonder about Uganda Airlines then, with an F.27 on Nairobi to Entebbe, then a 707 running Entebbe-Frankfurt-London.

Ah... it was not Uganda Airlines. While an F.27 was involved in the itinerary, it was employed on the second leg. No 707s were involved
OK, what about "Luxair", alias Trek Airways of South Africa masquerading under the European carriers' name, with a leased SAA 747SP in Luxair colours, operating Johannesburg-Nairobi-Luxembourg, connecting there to a Luxair F.27 operating on to Frankfurt. I think the 747SP was an all-economy low fare operation.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

42. (1973) Based upon schedules published in the January 1st, 1973 North American OAG, Miami is served by twelve 747 flights most days. Seven of those flights are offered by one airline, flying into Miami from four different cities. Name the airline and the four airports.
42. I posed a quiz question awhile back concerning Delta service into Miami following the acquisition of Northeast by Delta and the subsequent merger of DL and NE in 1972. Delta then decided to enhance the nonstop service formerly operated by Northeast between New York Kennedy and Miami (primarily with B727s in the early 1970's) in a large and major way by introducing nonstop 747 flights on the route. However, this 747 service did not last very long and by the fall of 1974 Delta was operating nonstops between JFK and MIA with B727-200 and DC8 equipment.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 11, 2022 at 4:42 pm
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

39- I flew LAX-YVR on a CP Air DC-8-40 in July 1977 … while I like what jlemon proposed, I tend to agree with his observation about the CP 737 and would therefore offer DFW-LAS-LAX-YVR (DL/UA/CP) as an alternative all-DC8 routing
Well, the problem here is I believe CP Air wasn't serving Los Angeles in 1973. And I think CP did not receive YVR - LAX nonstop route authority until the mid 1970's.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:02 am

41. For the other two NW DC 10 cities, I'll guess BOS, which was NW's primary transatlantic gateway, and LAX.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Time for an even wilder guess with all flights in question utilizing DC8 equipment: Delta from Dallas to Los Angeles, United from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and CP Air from San Francisco to Vancouver (and, yes, I know that CP usually operated the B737-200 from SFO to YVR but perhaps they slipped a DC8 into their service on the route).

You called it, JL - CP Air did not operate a DC-8 on the SFO-YVR route and I don't know that they ever did. I do recall the excitement at seeing one once scheduled on the YVR-LAX route though. On a more positive note, you have correctly identified the routing. And, if it's not a 720 or a DC-8, it must be a .... (Hint: Not built by Convair)
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

40. (1986) Following a productive three days in Abu Dhabi, it’s time to move on to your next assignment in Nairobi, Kenya. There is a once weekly nonstop ABU-NBO flight, but alas, not on the day you need. Thankfully, another airline offers a convenient online connection departing early tomorrow morning and arriving NBO in the early afternoon. The first flight to the connection point makes a single enroute stop, followed by a nonstop into Nairobi. It is the only airline offering an online connection where both flights are aboard vintage four engine jetliners of the same type. As an added bonus, First Class is available on both flights. Airline, routing and equipment please

That last clue about both the stop and the connecting point being in the same country points to Saudia … How about AUH-Dhahran/DHH-Jeddah/JED, JED-NBO

A fine guess but no - it wasn't Saudia. The airline in question did not purchase its 707(s) direct from Boeing)

I flew LAX-YVR on a CP Air DC-8-40 in July 1977 … while I like what jlemon proposed, I tend to agree with his observation about the CP 737 and would therefore offer DFW-LAS-LAX-YVR (DL/UA/CP) as an alternative all-DC8 routing

You lucky dog! I so wanted to fly upon that colorful CP Air DC-8 but alas, was unable to ever make it happen. Do you recall if CP Air's still (or ever) had the lounge area ahead of the First Class cabin?

As to the DC-8, see my above response to JL

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 12, 2022 at 12:58 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

39. Well, Monty, three times pays for all with regard to my wild guesses.....

So let's depart on Delta from Dallas to Los Angeles. We'll then connect to TWA from Los Angeles to San Francisco. And our third flight from San Francisco to Vancouver will be operated by Qantas via fifth freedom route authority (I recall that SFO - YVR was a tag route for QF at one point). And the equipment? Let's go with that grand old queen of the skies: the mighty Boeing 747.

Speaking of CP Air and its predecessor Canadian Pacific, I just completed a bit of research after the fact. It appears Canadian Pacific had begun serving San Francisco by early 1967 with nonstop DC8 service to Vancouver....

https://www.timetableimages.com/ttim...u/cp67eu-6.jpg

It also appears that CP Air did not begin serving Los Angeles until the mid 1970's. In the spring of 1975, there was only one nonstop flight a day from LAX to YVR and that service was operated by Western with a DC-10 according to the OAG. However, a spring 1976 CP Air timetable lists three nonstop flights a day operated by CP from LAX to YVR, all with Boeing 727 equipment.....

https://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/cp/cp76.pdf

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 12, 2022 at 1:13 pm Reason: added info concerning CP
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
43. (1986) Nairobi is a huge city but unfortunately there is a real dearth of good German restaurants in the CBD. Thankfully your next project has you working in Frankfurt, so you can practically taste that delicious German spaetzle accompanying your freshly grilled brat as you ponder your upcoming travel options. There are many, available on many airlines, but the most affordable one appears to be with an airline that operates all Y configured equipment and offers a single online connection featuring two nonstop flights - one aboard a jet and one aboard a turboprop. It is the only airline offering service between NBO and FRA that meets these parameters. Identify the airline, the routing and the two aircraft types.

OK, what about "Luxair", alias Trek Airways of South Africa masquerading under the European carriers' name, with a leased SAA 747SP in Luxair colours, operating Johannesburg-Nairobi-Luxembourg, connecting there to a Luxair F.27 operating on to Frankfurt. I think the 747SP was an all-economy low fare operation.

Luxair it is! However, per both the OAG and Luxair's own page and schedules in the advertising supplement of the OAG in question, the equipment operated between NBO and LUX was not a 747SP.

I once flew aboard a leased South African SP while flying with Royal Air Maroc. The aircraft sported a three class configuration with First Class located upstairs. Interestingly, the sleeper seats required the crew to physically bring out and place portable ottomans to complete the fully extended sleeper configuration.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 12, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

42. (1973) Based upon schedules published in the January 1st, 1973 North American OAG, Miami is served by twelve 747 flights most days. Seven of those flights are offered by one airline, flying into Miami from four different cities. Name the airline and the four airports.

I posed a quiz question awhile back concerning Delta service into Miami following the acquisition of Northeast by Delta and the subsequent merger of DL and NE in 1972. Delta then decided to enhance the nonstop service formerly operated by Northeast between New York Kennedy and Miami (primarily with B727s in the early 1970's) in a large and major way by introducing nonstop 747 flights on the route. However, this 747 service did not last very long and by the fall of 1974 Delta was operating nonstops between JFK and MIA with B727-200 and DC8 equipment.

New York JFK is correct!. Here's the final tally on DL's 747 service into Miami

Atlanta 1 Flight
Chicago 3 Flights
Detroit 1 Flight
New York JFK 2 Flights

Bonus Question 42B: A total of twelve 747 flights into Miami were offered per the 1973 North American OAG employed to reference this question. Aside from Delta's seven flights, can you identify the airlines and origin airports of the other five flights?
(Hint: Less than 5 airlines and airports are involved)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.