Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
71. Lucky you! You need to fly from Paris to Nadi, Fiji. Oh No! How many connections is that going to take? As luck would have it, only one, on the same airline all the way through. The first flight will make three stops, the second flight just two. The equipment remains the same throughout. So then, please identify the airline, the enroute stops of each flight and the equipment type..
Take a swing at this one.

Qantas 707 flying ORY-ATH-BAH-SIN-SYD then SYD-BNE-NOU-NAN.

77. What an exciting trip coming up! From your home outside of Buenos Aires, you’ll be traveling to Tahiti to join friends sailing their yacht to the Marquesas Islands. Ah… lifestyles of the rich and famous! You’ve found a very nice itinerary involving a single connection. The first flight will make one enroute stop. The connecting flight will be nonstop. Both flights will be operated with the same aircraft type. Please identify each airline involved, the routing including all enroute stops and of course, the aircraft type.]
Guessing Aerolineas Argentinas flying EZE-LIM-LAX then Air France LAX-PPT. Both with 707s.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Aug 15, 2020 at 1:11 pm Reason: Fixed departure airport for 71
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
77. What an exciting trip coming up! From your home outside of Buenos Aires, you’ll be traveling to Tahiti to join friends sailing their yacht to the Marquesas Islands. Ah… lifestyles of the rich and famous! You’ve found a very nice itinerary involving a single connection. The first flight will make one enroute stop. The connecting flight will be nonstop. Both flights will be operated with the same aircraft type. Please identify each airline involved, the routing including all enroute stops and of course, the aircraft type.

77- I’m leaning toward the DC-8-62 as the aircraft of record, and Los Angeles (LAX) as the connecting point: Braniff via Santiago/SCL, followed by UTA

Edit: ha! I see my geographical neighbor has already weighed in

81. Rather amazingly, outside of charter or supplemental operations, this major North American city is served by only a single 707 flight operating twice weekly. Identify the city, the airline and the city served with this 707 flight.
81- I’ll start with Miami/MIA, seeing an Ecuatoriana flight from Guayaquil/GYE

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 15, 2020 at 1:29 pm
Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
And there are two things in life that one cannot depend on.....they both start with the letter W and one of them is the weather....
Hopefully the other is not WHBM ...
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
71. Lucky you! You need to fly from Paris to Nadi, Fiji. Oh No! How many connections is that going to take? As luck would have it, only one, on the same airline all the way through. The first flight will make three stops, the second flight just two. The equipment remains the same throughout. So then, please identify the airline, the enroute stops of each flight and the equipment type.

Qantas 707 flying ORY-ATH-BAH-SIN-SYD then SYD-BNE-NOU-NAN.

Sounds quite viable, but no - all of Qantas' flights between Paris and Sydney make five enroute stops. Additionally, regardless of airline flown, none of the cities listed would be in the routing for the airline I'm looking for. There is one bit of good news though... You have correctly identified the aircraft. It is a 707.

77. What an exciting trip coming up! From your home outside of Buenos Aires, you’ll be traveling to Tahiti to join friends sailing their yacht to the Marquesas Islands. Ah… lifestyles of the rich and famous! You’ve found a very nice itinerary involving a single connection. The first flight will make one enroute stop. The connecting flight will be nonstop. Both flights will be operated with the same aircraft type. Please identify each airline involved, the routing including all enroute stops and of course, the aircraft type.

Guessing Aerolineas Argentinas flying EZE-LIM-LAX then Air France LAX-PPT. Both with 707s.

You're off to a good start here. Aerolineas Argentinas is the first airline and Air France is the second. And yes, the flight does route through Lima. It does not route through LAX. The 707 is the aircraft of record. Ever so close. Please, finish this one off!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 15, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767

I’m leaning toward the DC-8-62 as the aircraft of record, and Los Angeles (LAX) as the connecting point: Braniff via Santiago/SCL, followed by UTA

I like it. That's probably what I would have gone with if I didn't know better. But nope, YVR Cockroach is a lot closer with his guess (see above)

81. Rather amazingly, outside of charter or supplemental operations, this major North American city is served by only a single 707 flight operating twice weekly. Identify the city, the airline and the city served with this 707 flight.

I’ll start with Miami/MIA, seeing an Ecuatoriana flight from Guayaquil/GYE

Miami?! Miami?! No way, Jose - Miami's a hotbed of 707 operations with regular examples from BWIA, British Airways and Varig to name just a few. No, we're looking a bit farther north. Remember also, these questions are sourced from an International OAG...
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:11 pm

You’ve taken a job in Tarawa, Gilbert Islands rebuilding the airport terminal that was damaged in a recent hurricane. You’ve noticed the airport there is served by two jet flights – but only on select dates. The service isn’t even once weekly. In any event, identify the two jet types serving Tarawa (TRW), the airlines that operate them and where they fly into Tarawa from
Let's go for this one first. I guess there are a fair few reading here who have never heard of Tarawa before, or where the Gilbert & Ellice Islands are. Africa ?

Must have been about 1967 I passed by a UK travel agent, and while the desk clerk was distracted snaffled one of every airline's timetable they had in the little rack. Among these was Qantas. They didn't have a lot of operations then, and so after their flights to various world points were covered in the initial pages, they padded it out with other operators they had part ownership of (and, in truth, ran). Fiji Airways had a De Havilland Heron service from Nadi up to the South Pacific island specs of Funafuti and Tarawa. It looked a huge haul for a tiny 17-seat airliner, albeit one with four engines, and took three days to make the round trip, with multiple stages of four hours over completely open ocean. I think it was the only air service to Tarawa then. See here http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...7/qf657-12.jpg . Long before GPS, you just took off, flew a heading for several hours, and hoped that the NDB radio beacon generator had not run out of fuel to find it at the end. Needless to say, I had the big atlas out to find where all these points were.

So, 10 years on, they have jets. I'll guess that one would be Air Pacific, with a BAC One-Eleven 475, the "hot-rod" version, coming from Nadi, and the other would be from that extraordinary Pacific island wanderer, Air Nauru. They had a "one of everything" fleet, guess a 737-200C Combi. Air Nauru were renowned for flights that carried hardly anybody, or sometimes nobody at all. Both these airlines were effectively run from Australia, Air Nauru from a desk in the Ansett head office, and Air Pacific likewise overseen by Qantas, with Australian pilots. There weren't many One-Elevens in the region, but the Royal Australian Air Force ran a couple of early ones for over 20 years for VIPs, and moving on to Air Pacific was a nice island idyll when you retired from the military.
Seat 2A, jlemon and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're off to a good start here. Aerolineas Argentinas is the first airline and Air France is the second. And yes, the flight does route through Lima. It does not route through LAX. The 707 is the aircraft of record. Ever so close. Please, finish this one off!
If the connection point wasn't LAX, then perhaps it was the closer one also ending with X, MEX.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

71. Lucky you! You need to fly from Paris to Nadi, Fiji. Oh No! How many connections is that going to take? As luck would have it, only one, on the same airline all the way through. The first flight will make three stops, the second flight just two. The equipment remains the same throughout. So then, please identify the airline, the enroute stops of each flight and the equipment type.
I remember a very similar question being posed last year. I looked it up and so will recuse myself from answering.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Hopefully the other is not WHBM ...
Well, we can very safely say....nope!

And an example which comes to mind just happens to have blue eyes and long brown hair. Plus she also can prepare one heck of an exquisite gumbo......
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I remember a very similar question being posed last year. I looked it up and so will recuse myself from answering.
Yep!
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
72. You’ve taken a job in Tarawa, Gilbert Islands rebuilding the airport terminal that was damaged in a recent hurricane. You’ve noticed the airport there is served by two jet flights – but only on select dates. The service isn’t even once weekly. In any event, identify the two jet types serving Tarawa (TRW), the airlines that operate them and where they fly into Tarawa from.

Let's go for this one first. I guess there are a fair few reading here who have never heard of Tarawa before, or where the Gilbert & Ellice Islands are. Africa ?

I'll guess that one would be Air Pacific, with a BAC One-Eleven 475, the "hot-rod" version, coming from Nadi, and the other would be from that extraordinary Pacific island wanderer, Air Nauru. They had a "one of everything" fleet, guess a 737-200C Combi. Air Nauru were renowned for flights that carried hardly anybody, or sometimes nobody at all. Both these airlines were effectively run from Australia, Air Nauru from a desk in the Ansett head office, and Air Pacific likewise overseen by Qantas, with Australian pilots. There weren't many One-Elevens in the region, but the Royal Australian Air Force ran a couple of early ones for over 20 years for VIPs, and moving on to Air Pacific was a nice island idyll when you retired from the military.

Pretty close there, Mr. M. Air Pacific with the One Eleven is correct. As is Air Nauru with the exception of the aircraft type. If it wasn't a 737-200, it may well have been a ________________.

By the way, I first heard of Tarawa via the acquisition of an Air Tungaru 727-100 postcard many years ago.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If the connection point wasn't LAX, then perhaps it was the closer one also ending with X, MEX.

Nope - not MEX. If it did, it would require a connection to Qantas flying the old Fiesta Route through Acapulco to Papeete. Alas, that would appear to have been discontinued by 1976.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now that I think of it - did that question have an origination out of Frankfurt?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that I think of it - did that question have an origination out of Frankfurt?
No, but one of the flights apparently had a terminus at FRA.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:17 am

Pretty close there, Mr. M. Air Pacific with the One Eleven is correct. As is Air Nauru with the exception of the aircraft type. If it wasn't a 737-200, it may well have been a ________________ .
There's still a choice because they had just one of everything - even a business jet running scheduled services. Was it the onetime Ansett 727C ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.