Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: BA
3. (1995)
Per schedules reflected in the OAG I’ve employed to reference this question, I’ve found four airlines that operate Lockheed L-1011s in the Caribbean. Can you identify each of these four airlines? By the way, you guys are all so knowledgeable about this stuff that I’m going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines you’ve submitted is incorrect, I won’t say which one(s) are right or wrong – just that one or more are incorrect. You have to determine which one. Good Luck! BTW, Eastern was no more per these schedules.
BW, DL & TW identified so far..
LTU ? Possibly Dusseldorf to Montego Bay on a -500.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
24. (1989) You’ve got a consulting gig with the International Space Station Payload Operations Center down in Huntsville, Alabama. You live way out on Long Island in Ronkonkoma, so imagine your surprise and delight to discover there’s a one-stop direct flight out of nearby MacArthur Airport that’ll get you into HSV with plenty of time still left in the work day. There are even a couple of snacks served along the way. Right on! Name the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
24- three possibilities come to mind, based on airlines with hubs in the mid-Atlantic region ... let's start with United Express, running a former Presidential Airways BAe 146 via Dulles/IAD
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
For question 4, the transcon 747s in 1970, I am going to guess UA EWR-SFO as one of the routes. This was an occasional 747 route for UA in the '80s so I will go ahead and guess that it was a 747 in 1970.

On the non-coastal 747s to Hawaii, how about TW STL-HNL to go with the two HP routes?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Sorry for the late start today, gang. We've been dealing with a power outage.

Originally Posted by jrl767
20. (1979) It’s not often you get to take your wife into Manhattan for a fine steak dinner, but it’s your 37th anniversary and so you decide to surprise the old gal. Your flight will depart Chicago late morning and, after two stops and an enroute lunch, you will arrive in plenty of time to do a bit of shopping before dinner. You’ve even booked a suite at the swank Parkwood Inn & Suites before your return to Chicago the next day. Identify the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the equipment and the two enroute stops.

Well, both United and American operated ORD-Omaha/OMA, so between that and the geography I’m thinking FL might have had a 737 running something like ORD-Lincoln/LNK-Salina/SLN-MHK

Everything above is correct except for Salina. Switch that out for _________ and you're good to go.

4. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, there were four transcontinental routes flown with 747s. Identify those four routes and the airlines that flew them.
IAD-LAX — American
JFK-LAX — American, TWA, and United

IAD-SFO — This was not one of the routes
BOS-LAX — This was not one of the routes
JFK-SFO — American

Add TW and UA to SFO-JFK Correct!
How about SFO-BOS, TW Nope! The other route involved neither SFO or BOS and did not involve AA, TW or UA

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 3, 2020 at 4:20 pm
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
3. (1995) Per schedules reflected in the OAG I’ve employed to reference this question, I’ve found four airlines that operate Lockheed L-1011s in the Caribbean. Can you identify each of these four airlines? By the way, you guys are all so knowledgeable about this stuff that I’m going to make this one a little more difficult. If one of the airlines you’ve submitted is incorrect, I won’t say which one(s) are right or wrong – just that one or more are incorrect. You have to determine which one. Good Luck! BTW, Eastern was no more per these schedules.

LTU ? Possibly Dusseldorf to Montego Bay on a -500.

I'm working from a North American OAG so unless LTU ran a 5th Freedom route within the NA OAG's zone of coverage, it wouldn't show up. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if L-1011s from them and BA were spotted around the Caribbean. Per the NA OAG however, we're looking for a different airline - one that flew its L-1011 into Miami.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

24. (1989) You’ve got a consulting gig with the International Space Station Payload Operations Center down in Huntsville, Alabama. You live way out on Long Island in Ronkonkoma, so imagine your surprise and delight to discover there’s a one-stop direct flight out of nearby MacArthur Airport that’ll get you into HSV with plenty of time still left in the work day. There are even a couple of snacks served along the way. Right on! Name the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

Three possibilities come to mind, based on airlines with hubs in the mid-Atlantic region ... let's start with United Express, running a former Presidential Airways BAe 146 via Dulles/IAD

Spot on, J Here's the schedule:

United Express (Presidential Airways) UA 2310 Islip (ISP) 700a-815a S Washington DC (IAD) 900a-950a S Huntsville (HSV) BAe-146 X67
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
4. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, there were four transcontinental routes flown with 747s. Identify those four routes and the airlines that flew them.
IAD-LAX — American

JFK-SFO — American, TWA, and United

For question 4, the transcon 747s in 1970, I am going to guess UA EWR-SFO as one of the routes. This was an occasional 747 route for UA in the '80s so I will go ahead and guess that it was a 747 in 1970.

Not a bad guess at all, Herb. However, for the last transcon we're looking for a different airline (Not AA, UA or TW) operating over a different route. Please - guess again!29. (1989) 747s are a common sight at Honolulu in 1989. Many flights originate from the west coast. For this question however, we’re looking for the three non-coastal airports on the U.S. mainland with nonstop 747 service to Hawaii. Please provide the airport as well as the airline that serves it.

On the non-coastal 747s to Hawaii, how about TW STL-HNL to go with the two HP routes?
Now we're talkin'! TWA it is Thus, the three routes we're looking for are:

America West: LAS-HNL
​​​​​​​America West: PHX-HNL
TWA: STL-HNL
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
IAD-LAX — American

The other route involved neither SFO or BOS and did not involve AA, TW or UA
4- let's try the Sun King -- National, operating Miami-LAX
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

IAD-LAX — American

MIA-LAX — National
Let's try the Sun King -- National, operating Miami-LAX

Right on! I can't imagine what took ya so long! I always wanted to fly aboard National's 747 but back in the early 70s none of my travels involved NA's route system except for the DC-10 "Phyllis" flying LAX-SAN in 1973. And of course Continental, Northwest and Pan Am were also flying the 747 with Braniff and Eastern joining the ranks the next year.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20- missed the earlier “partially correct” response for ORD-LNK-XXX-MHK — Forbes Field (formerly AFB), Topeka/FOE
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I like jrl767's answer. That's what I was going to write, Forbes Field Topeka.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
17. (1990) The last time you had to fly between New Orleans and Miami was twenty years ago. Back then, National Airlines was the only way to go. Now, you’ve got a choice of four airlines. Identify each of those four airlines.

Previously correct answers:
Pan Am
Continental
American

New answer (4th airline)
Delta Air Lines
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

20. (1979) It’s not often you get to take your wife into Manhattan for a fine steak dinner, but it’s your 37th anniversary and so you decide to surprise the old gal. Your flight will depart Chicago late morning and, after two stops and an enroute lunch, you will arrive in plenty of time to do a bit of shopping before dinner. You’ve even booked a suite at the swank Parkwood Inn & Suites before your return to Chicago the next day. Identify the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the equipment and the two enroute stops.

Missed the earlier “partially correct” response for ORD-LNK-XXX-MHK — Forbes Field (formerly AFB), Topeka/FOE

And another one bites the dust! Here's the schedule and we'll check back tomorrow!

Frontier FL 141 Chicago (ORD) 1100a -1227p L Lincoln (LNK) 1247p-120p Topeka (TOP) 138p-158p Manhattan (MHK) 737-200 X7
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18. (1989) There’ve long been direct or even nonstop flights from Edmonton to Minneapolis. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Calgary. Until now that is. Okay, okay, so it makes a couple of stops along the way but what the heck – it beats having to drive up to Edmonton or make a connection in Winnipeg. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.
18- other than Delta, I can’t think of a US carrier that would have had a two-stop routing between YYC and MSP, and as I’ve mentioned a few times recently DL wasn’t known for flights that had a significant change of direction (YYC-SLC-DEN-MSP)

I’m reasonably sure that Air Canada didn’t serve MSP, so that leaves Canadian and their regional affiliate (Time Air?) ... they probably didn’t stop at YWG, but I’ll have a guess at a pair of Saskatchewan stops — Saskatoon (YXE) and Regina (YQR)
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry Toshbaf - based upon the time stamps I must have been typing up and submitting my response to jrl767 re FL ORD-MHK when you posted this.

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
17. (1990) The last time you had to fly between New Orleans and Miami was twenty years ago. Back then, National Airlines was the only way to go. Now, you’ve got a choice of four airlines. Identify each of those four airlines.

Previously correct answers:
Pan Am
Continental
American

New answer (4th airline)
Delta Air Lines

An excellent guess - especially given the reqion - but NO! We're looking for a different airline still.

Please, guess again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.