Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
46. This airline was operating three daily direct one stop flights from Toronto to Houston at this time. All three flights stopped at the same city with the same aircraft type being operated on every one of these flights. Identify the air carrier, the stop, the equipment and the airport in Houston these flights arrived into

We're running out of airlines to ask if they fly to Houston! DFW was ruled out, which suggests AA but not really AA. I'm heading to the AA ticket counter!

American Airlines, YYZ - BNA - IAH, Boeing 727-200.
46. Correct! And American was actually operating three daily round flights with Boeing 727-200 equipment between Toronto (YYZ) and Houston Intercontinental (IAH) via their Nashville (BNA) hub at this time. Here are the scheds....

AA 325: YYZ 8:00a - 9:17a BNA 9:55a - 12:00n IAH (Breakfast in F/Y YYZ-BNA)

AA 903: YYZ 12:54p - 2:09p BNA 2:52p - 4:52p IAH (Lunch in F/Y YYZ-BNA)

AA 821: YYZ 6:43p - 7:57p BNA 8:35p - 10:30p IAH (Dinner in F/Y YYZ-BNA)

AA 1278: IAH 6:20a - 8:01a BNA 8:45a - 11:40a YYZ (Breakfast in F/Y IAH-BNA & BNA-YYZ)

AA 1282: IAH 11:01a - 12:42p BNA 1:35p - 4:36p YYZ (Lunch in F/Y IAH-BNA, Snack in F/Y BNA-YYZ)

AA 582: IAH 4:37p - 6:16p BNA 7:15p - 10:14p YYZ (Snack in F/Y IAH-BNA, Dinner in F/Y BNA-YYZ)
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
41.You're now back in Houston and it's still unbelievably hot and humid. So how about a getaway with friends featuring a backpacking trip in the Desolation Wilderness in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Lake Tahoe? Perfect! Now all you have to do is get there. Of course, there are no direct flights from either Houston airport to Lake Tahoe (TVL).....but you have found a direct flight to Reno which fits your schedule and makes two stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in Houston, the airline, both stops and the equipment.1. You're now back in Houston and it's still unbelievably hot and humid. So how about a getaway with friends featuring a backpacking trip in the Desolation Wilderness in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Lake Tahoe? Perfect! Now all you have to do is get there. Of course, there are no direct flights from either Houston airport to Lake Tahoe (TVL).....but you have found a direct flight to Reno which fits your schedule and makes two stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in Houston, the airline, both stops and the equipment.
41- yet another itinerary where Southwest might be a contender, but I don’t think WN served RNO in 1983; that said, though, Republic had a not-insubstantial presence at Hobby (HOU), so how about a DC-9-50 operating via Phoenix (PHX) and Las Vegas (LAS)
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
41- yet another itinerary where Southwest might be a contender, but I don’t think WN served RNO in 1983; that said, though, Republic had a not-insubstantial presence at Hobby (HOU), so how about a DC-9-50 operating via Phoenix (PHX) and Las Vegas (LAS)
41. A great guess; however, it wasn't Republic, the aircraft wasn't a DC9-50 and stops were not made at Phoenix or Las Vegas. And the flight in question departed from Houston Intercontinental (IAH).
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
41- ok, time to dissect this

“not a D95” doesn’t rule out a D98 (MD-80) which would have been AA, but I can’t think of where besides LAS they might have stopped between Dallas (DFW) and RNO

United might have run either a 727/72S or a 737, but again a second stop either before or after Denver (DEN) is perplexing

Western over Salt Lake City (SLC) is another candidate; for some odd reason I want to say they tagged IAH onto service to/from San Antonio (SAT), and I reckon the 72S was the more likely equipment
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

41- ok, time to dissect this

“not a D95” doesn’t rule out a D98 (MD-80) which would have been AA, but I can’t think of where besides LAS they might have stopped between Dallas (DFW) and RNO

United might have run either a 727/72S or a 737, but again a second stop either before or after Denver (DEN) is perplexing

Western over Salt Lake City (SLC) is another candidate; for some odd reason I want to say they tagged IAH onto service to/from San Antonio (SAT), and I reckon the 72S was the more likely equipment
41. You are definitely on the right track! However, this flight operated by Western with a B727-200 did not stop at San Antonio although it did stop at Salt Lake City. Please guess again!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

37. It's 1977 and you are in Winnipeg. You need to travel to Phoenix and are surprised to find there's a direct flight from YWG to PHX. Of course, it makes five stops en route but so much the better! Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED - Frontier operating a B737-200 YWG - MOT - BIS - DEN - ABQ - TUS - PHX

39. Ah, you still love a good multi-stop flight....and you've found an interesting one. Your location is Oklahoma City in 1982 and you're off to New York City. Your flight will make three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops, the equipment and the airport you will arrive into in the New York City area. ANSWERED - Pan Am operating a 727 with a routing of OKC - IAH - MSY - DCA - JFK

41. You're now back in Houston in 1983 and it's still unbelievably hot and humid. So how about a getaway with friends featuring a backpacking trip in the Desolation Wilderness in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Lake Tahoe? Perfect! Now all you have to do is get there. Of course, there are no direct flights from either Houston airport to Lake Tahoe (TVL).....but you have found a direct flight to Reno which fits your schedule and makes two stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in Houston, the airline, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED - Western operating a B727-200 IAH - ABQ - SLC - RNO

43. Now it's 1986 and you are in Madison, Wisconsin. Your old sailing buddy has his catamaran moored near La Jolla and needs your help to sail up to Santa Barbara. So that means flying to San Diego. You've found a daily direct flight with an excellent schedule departing MSN in the mid morning hours which will get you into SAN by mid afternoon with this service making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.

The next quiz item has a time line of 1989.......

53. Your meeting in L.A. has gone well and you've even had time to visit with family in Pasadena. But now it's time to get back to work and that means flying to New York City. You've found a convenient flight which departs from Burbank (BUR) and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops, the aircraft and the airport you will arrive into in the New York City area. ANSWERED - America West operating a B737-300 BUR - PHX - ICT - LGA

55. You're in Chicago in 1991 and it's time to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could catch a nonstop.....but where's the fun in that?! Especially when you've found an interesting direct flight which makes three stops en route and operates six days a week to LAX. Identify the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the airline, all three stops and the aircraft.
It wasn't Southwest or United, the equipment wasn't a B737-500 or B737-300 and this flight did not stop at BNA, HOU, PHX, DSM, DEN or SMF....but it did depart from ORD.

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1996.....

58. Time to head back to Los Angeles one more time....and you are in Colorado Springs. Of course, you're in no hurry....and you've found a direct flight which operates six days a week that makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Reno Air or Western Pacific, the equipment wasn't an MD-80 or B737-300 and stops were not made at RNO, TUS, DEN or SAN. The second stop was LAS.

59. "Hey man, I'm in Bermuda and we are going to sail the cat to Barbados! Come on over, amigo!" Well, here you go again....and your present location is Chicago. Quick research reveals a direct one stop flight which operates three days a week that fits your schedule, so off you go! Name the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.
And we appear to be on the home stretch here.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 23, 2020 at 9:40 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
53. Let's try IND though that was a US secondary hub

58. Possible (weird) Reno Air route. LAX-TUS-LAS-RNO-COS M-80
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
41. You're now back in Houston in 1983 and it's still unbelievably hot and humid. So how about a getaway with friends featuring a backpacking trip in the Desolation Wilderness in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Lake Tahoe? Perfect! Now all you have to do is get there. Of course, there are no direct flights from either Houston airport to Lake Tahoe (TVL).....but you have found a direct flight to Reno which fits your schedule and makes two stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in Houston, the airline, both stops and the equipment. Western operating a B727-200 departing from IAH. This flight stopped in SLC.....but it did not stop at SAT.

I will guess that said flight operated IAH-SLC-BOI-RNO.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
53. Let's try IND though that was a US secondary hub

58. Possible (weird) Reno Air route. LAX-TUS-LAS-RNO-COS M-80
53. Nope, it wasn't Indianapolis. In fact, the stop we are looking for was made further west.

58. A great guess! However, Reno Air is not the air carrier in question nor was an MD-80 the aircraft type. We are also actually heading in the other direction here from Colorado Springs to Los Angeles....and Las Vegas was indeed the second stop. However, this flight did not stop in Reno or Tucson.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
I will guess that said flight operated IAH-SLC-BOI-RNO.
41. You know, I thought about Boise as being a possible stop on this routing as well. But nope, it wasn't BOI so please guess again sir! And here's a hint: Salt Lake City was the second stop.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

41- how about IAH-Austin (AUS)-SLC-LAS for that WA 72S?

53- not much further west than IND on HP’s route map that we haven’t already eliminated :/

im the 1995-96 timeframe I made a couple of SEA-Wichita (ICT) trips on HP jets via PHX, so let’s throw that at the wall and see it it sticks
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

41- how about IAH-Austin (AUS)-SLC-LAS for that WA 72S?

53- not much further west than IND on HP’s route map that we haven’t already eliminated :/

im the 1995-96 timeframe I made a couple of SEA-Wichita (ICT) trips on HP jets via PHX, so let’s throw that at the wall and see it it sticks
41. Nope, it wasn't Austin.

53. Congratulations! It indeed sticks on the wall! Here's the sched....

HP 610: Burbank (BUR) 6:50a - 9:15a Phoenix (PHX) 9:55a - 1:00p Wichita (ICT) 1:30p - 5:25p New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Freq: BUR-PHX daily except Sundays, PHX-LGA daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snacks PHX-ICT & ICT-LGA
Equip: B737-300

I believe America West was the only air carrier ever to operate nonstop between Wichita and New York LaGuardia.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA
Hello from a hotel in DC, arrived here earlier on a BA A380. An impressive aircraft, although being sat right over the main gear, what a noise when it went down and up. Still the class BA service that seems to have changed little over the years. My first experience of the Mobile Lounges at Dulles, which I recall from picking up US timetables in the 1960s and seeing the 15 minute difference shown between aircraft and "mobile lounge time". Despite having the decals that they have been comprehensively rebuilt, they have all the mechanical air of being designed by a tractor manufacturer, awful utilitarian interior layout especially for those standing, entrance arrangements like a 19th century railway car - and so SLOW, both in running and the organisation ! Can you tell I was not impressed ?

39. Ah, you still love a good multi-stop flight....and you've found an interesting one. Your location is Oklahoma City in 1982 and you're off to New York City. Your flight will make three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops, the equipment and the airport you will arrive into in the New York City area
This just sounds like TWA, and "the New York City area" seems to imply Newark. Let's think of the "classic" transcontinental TWA route, coming from LAX through Oklahoma, St Louis, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. And lets say it was still a 707.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 21, 2020 at 3:36 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
... My first experience of the Mobile Lounges at Dulles, which I recall from picking up US timetables in the 1960s and seeing the 15 minute difference shown between aircraft and "mobile lounge time". Despite having the decals that they have been comprehensively rebuilt, they have all the mechanical air of being designed by a tractor manufacturer, awful interior layout especially for those standing ...
the original “people-movers” actually docked at the aircraft doors (both forward and aft), and the departure gates in the main terminal identified the actual flight numbers ... during the first Dulles renovations, the airport authorities replaced the direct-to-the-jet construct with the present system where there are a bunch of “shuttle gates” in each concourse; the more recent infrastructure of course includes underground trains between the midfield concourses and the main terminal

last time I arrived IAD on an international flight was 2004, but I seem to recall a sterile pathway from a few of the arrival gates to a few dedicated lounge gates being the only way for pax to remain outside the main part of the concourse area before entering Customs & Immigration

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 20, 2020 at 10:28 pm
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
41- how about iah-austin (aus)-slc-las for that wa 72s?
41. nope, it wasn't austin.
Let's try IAH-DFW-SLC-RNO then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.