Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
2. It is my understanding the Conroy "Tri-Turbo-Three" DC-3 began life as a twin engine conversion and was later modified to a three engine configuration. And here's a hint: both engines came from a "donor" aircraft which had previously been operated by a major U.S. air carrier. This airframe was transported to the Santa Barbara Airport where two of its engines were then installed on the DC-3. So please guess again!

Bonus quiz question.....

What aircraft type was used to create the "Conroy Skymonster"?
Time to close these two out as I'll be headed out the door shortly to LFT for a trip out to LAX via DFW....

2. The "donor" aircraft was a former United Airlines Vickers Viscount. Two of its Rolls-Royce Dart Mk. 510 turboprop engines were installed on a DC-3 at the Conroy company facility located at the Santa Barbara Airport. I've seen a photo of this ex-UA Viscount sitting on the ramp at SBA; however, of course I cannot find it now....

There was at least one former United Viscount stored not too far away from Santa Barbara back in the late 1960's. This Viscount was located at William J. Fox Field (WJF) over in Lancaster in the desert along with Constellation and DC-7 aircraft. Here's a photo of this aircraft along with other stored airliners:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Unti...FdeIHJdMQmCM10

BTW, Fox Field in Lancaster was served at this time by Air West with Fairchild F-27 propjets.

3. The "Conroy Skymonster" was a modified Canadair CL-44 which had been "Guppy-ized" by Jack Conroy at his facility at SBA. Only one CL-44-0 was produced and it was reportedly designed to transport three Rolls-Royce RB.211 jet engines at a time from Belfast in Northern Ireland to the Lockheed aircraft plant in Palmdale, California where these engines would then be installed on new L-1011 TriStar aircraft. A number of cargo air carriers subsequently operated the "Skymonster" one of which was Transmeridian Air Cargo which reportedly named it the "Skymonster". Another operator of this airplane was British-based HeavyLift Cargo Airlines. Here's a photo where the open swing tail can be seen thus facilitating the loading and unloading of oversized cargo:

Canadair (Conroy) CL-44-O Guppy - HeavyLift Cargo Airlines | Aviation Photo
#5192287 | Airliners.net

And I'm off to DFW in first on board an AA Eagle CRJ900. I'm also waitlisted in first on my connecting flight operated by AA with a Boeing 787-9 from DFW to LAX (and I probably have a snowball's chance in a volcano with regard to this upgrade clearing given the AA elite heavy nature of the DFW market). However, I do have a window seat in the PE section (sold as MCE on this domestic service) so I should be just fine on my very first ride on board a B787-9.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA
The "Conroy Skymonster" was a modified Canadair CL-44 which had been "Guppy-ized" by Jack Conroy at his facility at SBA. Only one CL-44-0 was produced and it was reportedly designed to transport three Rolls-Royce RB.211 jet engines at a time from Belfast in Northern Ireland to the Lockheed aircraft plant in Palmdale, California where these engines would then be installed on new L-1011 TriStar aircraft. A number of cargo air carriers subsequently operated the "Skymonster" one of which was Transmeridian Air Cargo which reportedly named it the "Skymonster". Another operator of this airplane was British-based HeavyLift Cargo Airlines. Here's a photo where the open swing tail can be seen thus facilitating the loading and unloading of oversized cargo:
The Skymonster is still around. It's been stored in the open at Bournemouth airport, UK, for quite some years now. here it is

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...5!4d-1.8404302

Nobody seems to know what to do with it.

Belfast was not where the Rolls-Royce RB 211 engines for the Tristar were built, but the engine nacelles were, under subcontract by the onetime Shorts, nowadays Bombardier, who through all their various incarnations have long been a major airframe subcontractor rather than an actual aircraft builder. I don't know if they just shipped the nacelles, which are obviously the largest part of the powerplant installation, or the engines as well. The engines were built, like all mainstream Rolls-Royce engines, in Derby, close to East Midlands airport.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
There were 21 P&W and one Wright engined aircraft in the formation - and one other.

There's a clue in the photographs ...
I'll just round out this one.

That Malev (Hungarian Airlines) aircraft in the last photo is not a DC-3 at all, but a Lissunov Li-2 lookalike, with Shvetsov radial engines. Built in the Soviet Union during WW2, in parallel with the US DC-3 production, they did indeed buy some early DC-3s to go on, plus have all the engineering drawings, but these were all reworked to metric standard sizes as those were the tools and training they had. Fortunately, on the day we could wander the flightline and I had a good look at the aircraft and compared it with the DC-3 alongside. notable was the different standard of finish, particularly ends of metal being obviously hand-cut, and riveting at somewhat uneven intervals. The various metal joints are at different positions and the wings are a bit shorter. It's the only airworthy Li-2 left in the world, now belonging to a Hungarian museum.

The Li-2 assembly line was initially at Moscow but was one of those industries rapidly moved eastwards across the Soviet Union in WW2, and this aircraft was built in Tashkent, nowadays in Uzbekistan. The factory there was later used principally by Ilyushin to build the IL-62 etc.

I doubt many noticed on the day, but it was a bit of an ironic attendee, given that Hungary was on the German side in WW2, and on D-Day.

"LISUNOV LI-2 18433209"

184 = Soviet Aircraft plant 184 (Tashkent)
332 = Batch 332 (fairly late on in construction)
09 = Aircraft 9 (out of 10) in the batch
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 15, 2019 at 4:34 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
The Skymonster is still around. It's been stored in the open at Bournemouth airport, UK, for quite some years now. here it is

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...5!4d-1.8404302

Nobody seems to know what to do with it.

Belfast was not where the Rolls-Royce RB 211 engines for the Tristar were built, but the engine nacelles were, under subcontract by the onetime Shorts, nowadays Bombardier, who through all their various incarnations have long been a major airframe subcontractor rather than an actual aircraft builder. I don't know if they just shipped the nacelles, which are obviously the largest part of the powerplant installation, or the engines as well. The engines were built, like all mainstream Rolls-Royce engines, in Derby, close to East Midlands airport.
Ah, that’s what I get for relying on Wikipedia for such information......and I really should know better.

Meantime, I head home tomorrow from San Luis Obispo on an airline I have not flown with in quite some time: United. My flights will include a ride on a CRJ200 SBP-SFO in Y, an A320 SFO-IAH in F and an ERJ175 IAH-LFT in F. I also traveled on board Amtrak’s “Coast Starlight” train last Thursday from the Burbank Airport station up the coast to San Luis Obispo and it was a truly wonderful experience.

So what about a set of new quiz items here on the good old OTAQ&D? Well, Seat 2A and yours truly are both working on new sets so look for these in the not so distant future. Stay tuned!

wrp96 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 21, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Evening All!

Well, it's been awhile since I submitted a new batch of quiz items....and now that my travels are over for awhile (that is, until late August when I head out to STS and northern California), let's resume the fun and games here on the good ol' OTAQ&D!

Please limit your response to two and no more than three quiz items per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

So here we go.....

1. In 1959, this airline claimed a flying time of 135 minutes concerning its nonstop service from New York City to Miami. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it operated on this service. ANSWERED

2. In 1961, this air carrier was operating a connecting service in association with another airline which operated twice a week from West Palm Beach (PBI) to Kingston, Jamaica (KIN). The first flight made one intermediate stop en route as did the second flight. The same aircraft type was operated on both flights with a 40 minute connecting interval between the two services. So with all this in mind, name both air carriers (which worked together quite closely at the time), the intermediate stop made by each flight, the connecting airport and the equipment. ANSWERED

3. It's 1966 and time for a milk run! You need to travel from Corpus Christi (CRP) to Amarillo (AMA) and have found a daily flight which makes four stops en route. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type.

4. Now it's 1967 and time for another milk run. You are in Birmingham, AL (BHM) getting ready to head for Denver and a vacation in the Colorado Rockies. Ah, here's a daily flight offering first class which makes five stops en route. What airline will you check in with at BHM, what are the five stops in order and what type of aircraft will you be flying on?

5. You've always enjoyed sailing in Bermuda and now it's time to do so once again. It's still 1967 and you are in Chicago where you've just finished a project assignment as an independent contractor. There's a daily flight departing from ORD to BDA which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier as well as both stops in order and the equipment.

6. Now it's 1968 and you are getting ready to embark on yet another sailing adventure. You've been visiting with good friends who live in old San Juan and now it's time to head for St. Lucia and get the catamaran ready. There's a daily afternoon flight from SJU down to St. Lucia which makes four stops en route. Ah, it's an all-coach configured aircraft but what the heck....the departure and arrival times fit your schedule. What airline will you be flying with, what are the four stops in order and what is the aircraft type? And for extra special bonus points, identify the airport you will arrive into on St. Lucia by its three letter code. ANSWERED

7. It's been a fine Sunday evening in 1968 featuring a superb dinner with old friends in Manhattan....and then the phone rings. Can you travel to La Paz, Bolivia as soon as possible for a very urgent meeting scheduled for Monday afternoon? You quickly ascertain there's a flight departing JFK at 12:45 am very early on Monday that will get you into LPB at 10:45 am with one intermediate stop being made. You book a seat in first class. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

8. Now you are in Maui in the summer of 1968 and need to travel up to Kauai for a dinner engagement. Ah, that probably means a connection in Honolulu....but you are surprised to find a daily afternoon nonstop flight departing from OGG at 4:30 pm up to LIH. What airline will you be flying with and on what aircraft type? ANSWERED

9. Fill in the blank concerning the identify of the air carrier which ran this print ad in 1970:

"When in Europe do as the Europeans do. Fly ______________."

10. This airline was operating direct service twice a week from St. Maarten (SXM) to New York (JFK) in 1971. The service made one intermediate stop en route which was essentially a technical stop. Identify the air carrier, the technical stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

11. In 1974, this air carrier was operating service three days a week from Honolulu to Bangkok. The flight departed HNL at 1:00 pm and arrived into BKK at 10:40 pm with two intermediate stops being made en route. In its timetable, the airline also listed a connection from Los Angeles via Honolulu to its Bangkok flight with this service being operated by a U.S. based air carrier. Name the airline which operated the flight from HNL to BKK as well as the two stops and the equipment. And for extra special bonus points, identify the U.S. air carrier which operated the LAX-HNL flight and the aircraft it operated on this service.

The next eight quiz items all have a time line of early 1976.....

12. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Orlando (MCO) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) on board a DC9-10 at this time what airline would you call? ANSWERED

13. This air carrier was operating a direct flight once a week from Las Vegas (LAS) to Hilo (ITO) which made one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't UA nor was the equip a D8S

14. There was only one jet flight a day into Kodiak (ADQ) at this time and this service operated daily. What airline operated this flight, where did it come from and what type of aircraft was used? ANSWERED

15. Now it's time to head to Los Angeles from Omaha. There's a nonstop flight departing OMA at 11:20 am which arrives into LAX at 12:25 pm and lunch will be served en route. Identify the airline and the equipment. ANSWERED

16. Another day, another interesting milk run in 1976! You are in Chicago and will be traveling to Miami. There's a daily flight from ORD to MIA which makes five stops en route with a snack being served followed by lunch later on during the flight. Name the air carrier, all five stops in order and the aircraft.

17. This air carrier was operating the only nonstop service between New York City (JFK) and Cancun (CUN) in 1976 with two flights a week. Identify the airline and the equipment. It wasn't Aeromexico or Lufthansa and the equipment wasn't a DC-10

18. There was only one nonstop flight a day from Tampa (TPA) to Milwaukee (MKE) and the service operated daily. In fact, this was the only flight from TPA to MKE at this time. Name the air carrier which operated this service as well as the aircraft. ANSWERED - Northwest operating a B747

19. It's 1976. You arrive at the airport in Mexico City just in time to catch the last flight of the day to Miami. This daily service departs MEX at 2:55 pm and arrives into MIA at 8:32 pm with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment.

20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977? "_________ Banana" (it wasn't "Flying Banana" or "Golden Banana".....)

These will get us started....and be rest assured I've got more waiting in the wings.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 2, 2019 at 11:07 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
12. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Orlando (MCO) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) on board a DC9-10 at this time what airline would you call?
Thanks for posting the next round; I’ve been missing these! I’ll start with a guess for #12: Eastern?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
early 1976.....
15. Now it's time to head to Los Angeles from Omaha. There's a nonstop flight departing OMA at 11:20 am which arrives into LAX at 12:25 pm and lunch will be served en route. Identify the airline and the equipment.
15- I will open the bidding with a United DC-8
18. There was only one nonstop flight a day from Tampa (TPA) to Milwaukee (MKE) and the service operated daily. In fact, this was the only flight from TPA to MKE at this time. Name the air carrier which operated this service as well as the aircraft.
18- how about a red-tail Northwest DC-10
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977?
Wasn't the Flying Banana or something similar, incorporating the word, "banana?"
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Wasn't the Flying Banana or something similar, incorporating the word, "banana?"
Golden Banana
The airline was "Top Banana in the West"

At least, that is my answer.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
15. Now it's time to head to Los Angeles from Omaha. There's a nonstop flight departing OMA at 11:20 am which arrives into LAX at 12:25 pm and lunch will be served en route. Identify the airline and the equipment.

United Airlines, Boeing 727-200
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:01 am

1. In 1959, this airline claimed a flying time of 135 minutes concerning its nonstop service from New York City to Miami. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it operated on this service.
National, with a leased Pan Am 707-121.

2. In 1961, this air carrier was operating a connecting service in association with another airline which operated twice a week from West Palm Beach (PBI) to Kingston, Jamaica (KIN). The first flight made one intermediate stop en route as did the second flight. The same aircraft type was operated on both flights with a 40 minute connecting interval between the two services. So with all this in mind, name both air carriers (which worked together quite closely at the time), the intermediate stop made by each flight, the connecting airport and the equipment.
I'll say the first flight was on a BOAC Viscount 700, operated as Bahamas Airways, to Nassau, and if it made an intermediate stop likely at Ft Lauderdale. Second leg would be on "real" BOAC flight, also on a Viscount and most likely the same aircraft operating through. Probably same crew as well. Intermediate stop to Kingston - Montego Bay ?

BOAC had quite a large fleet of Viscount 700s, bought new, which hardly operated any BOAC flights but ran for various airlines around the world they either had shares in or owned outright. Bahamas Airways, BWIA, Aden Airways, Kuwait Airways etc all shared this fleet, which were moved around between them from time to time. BOAC crews on secondment at all of them. Bahamas = great; Aden = desperate.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 25, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

Thanks for posting the next round; I’ve been missing these! I’ll start with a guess for #12 : Eastern?
12. An excellent guess as Eastern was indeed operating nonstop service twice daily from Orlando (MCO) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) at this time. However, these EA flights were respectively operated with B727-200 and DC9-30 equipment.....so please guess again!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

15- I will open the bidding with a United DC-8

18- how about a red-tail Northwest DC-10
15. United is a very logical guess and was indeed operating nonstop service from Omaha (OMA) to Los Angeles (LAX) at this time. However, another airline had begun new nonstop service on the OMA-LAX route in competition with UA in the spring of 1976....and the air carrier in question was not operating a DC-8 on its flight. Please guess again!

18. Northwest is correct.....but not with a DC-10. So please guess again concerning the equipment.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
20. Yep, "Banana" was indeed part of the answer concerning the name Hughes Airwest used to promote its new B727-200 aircraft back in 1977.

However, we are still looking for the complete answer here incorporating "Banana" as the word "Flying" was not used.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 25, 2019 at 11:56 am Reason: additional info
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Golden Banana
The airline was "Top Banana in the West"

At least, that is my answer.
20. Nope, the word "Golden" wasn't used by RW to describe its 72S aircraft although as mentioned above "Banana" was......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.