Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
20. This airport served as the primary filming location for the film Airport, though the film presented the airport as a fictional Chicago-based Lincoln International Airport. Do any of you have any idea which airport was used as the backdrop in this movie?

I think this was MSP.

I think you're right. On this one, I felt comfortable sticking with Wikipedia as my source, so here's more info...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnea...irport#History
Old May 9, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
When I was a kid watching Airport, I thought the airport was in Lincoln, Nebraska. Doh!
Old May 9, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Seat 2A, I couldn't quote your post but here are my responses..

As to your questions below, I'll have a gander at a couple...

1A. What airport had the highest incident rate (per 10,000 flights) in 2018.
1B. From 1990-2017, what phase of flight has had the highest number of bird strikes? Approach for landing CORRECT
1C. From 1990-2017, for bird strikes where the bird could be identified which bird species caused the largest number of bird strikes? Starlings INCORRECT
Old May 9, 2019, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I don't know the bird strike answer but I suspect there are two kinds of airports affected more, very large airports and those near swamps. That would mean DEN, DFW, MCO, IAD, MCI for size and MIA, JFK for swamps. Almost swamp conditions might be CLE, Teterboro (NJ), DAL, etc.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I too am at a loss as to which airport had the highest incident rate of bird strikes or what types of birds were struck most often. I suppose I could look it up but where's the fun in that. I'd be willing to give a guess but birds are pretty common around many airports and I wouldn't a clue. Same goes for bird strikes. You hear of geese getting hit a lot, but maybe they're up high... In any event, I'd best leave this one to those of us better versed than I in ornithology and av-geekdom.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
19. The first jet to serve Providence’s T. F. Green Airport Airport was a _________________ operated by _________________
Douglas DC-9, Eastern Airlines
The Wings of Man, of course.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
19. The first jet to serve Providence’s T. F. Green Airport Airport was a _________________ operated by _________________

Douglas DC-9, Eastern Airlines.The Wings of Man, of course.

Sounds good to me, but of course what do I know? Well, having researched the question, I know that it was a different airline operating a different type of aircraft.

Please - guess again!
Old May 10, 2019, 9:14 pm
Suspended

19 (again). If it's not Eastern, then it's a Mohawk Airlines BAC One-Eleven 200 to Ithaca and Pittsburgh. Later Mohawk was acquired by Allegheny then, as USAirways, American West, which gobbled up American.

The real big airlines in the US today are Delta, America West masquerading as American, and Continental or Texas International masquerading as United. The next group include Alaska, Southwest, and JetBlue.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

If it's not Eastern, then it's a Mohawk Airlines BAC One-Eleven 200 to Ithaca and Pittsburgh.

Correct! My source didn't indicate the routing, only that the first jet flight into PVD was a Mohawk BAC-111. Where did you find out this routing? I only ask because Mohawk served PVD from a variety of airports that had long had jet service... Inquiring minds want to know...
Old May 12, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
to the best of my recollection (although I didn’t start flying MO into ITH until 1971), there was never nonstop ITH-PVD service ... if I had to hazard a guess, the inaugural jet route would have been something like BOS-PVD-SYR
Old May 12, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great work! You guys are gobbling up these questions like Joey Chestnet at a hotdog eating contest. Finish 'em off!

AIRPORT QUIZ QUESTIONS

6. What was the first airport in the world to operate scheduled international commercial services? Where did the flight go?
A N S W E R E D

10. This U.S. city’s airport was the first to have an air traffic control tower and a radio controlled air traffic control system. Name it.

11. In 2002, this was the first U.S. airport to federalize its security force after the passage of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act. It is effectively known as the birthplace of the TSA. So then, which airport is it?

16. The first airline to serve Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport (Known as Detroit Wayne Major back in 1954) was _________________ flying a _________________from Detroit to __________________ and __________________.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 14, 2019 at 9:35 am
Old May 12, 2019, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
to the best of my recollection (although I didn’t start flying MO into ITH until 1971), there was never nonstop ITH-PVD service ... if I had to hazard a guess, the inaugural jet route would have been something like BOS-PVD-SYR
More likely to be correct because I just guessed. In retrospect, PVD-ITH is probably not correct because in those days, there were not fortress hubs like 10-15 years later.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Great work! You guys are gobbling up these questions like Joey Chestnet at a hotdog eating contest. Finish 'em off!

AIRPORT QUIZ QUESTIONS

16. The first airline to serve Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport (Known as Detroit Wayne Major back in 1954) was _________________ flying a _________________from Detroit to __________________ and __________________.
16. ...was Pan Am, flying a Douglas DC-6 from Detroit to Chicago and London via Gander and Shannon.

This is my guess because DTW was a white elephant initially, like Washington Dulles or Mirabel, with most airlines flying from Willow Run.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
6. What was the first airport in the world to operate scheduled international commercial services? Where did the flight go?
Educated guess. Given KLM is the oldest continuously-operating airline, I will guess it was Amsterdam, way before Schiphol, to Brussels?
Old May 12, 2019, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Educated guess. Given KLM is the oldest continuously-operating airline, I will guess it was Amsterdam, way before Schiphol, to Brussels?
Great answer! However, I think the answer would be for a different question, a hypothetical 6A, first schedule international commercial service by an airline that is still flying.

England had Airco and the US had Chauk's Ocean, both no longer exists. I believe Airco operated domestically initially. Chauk did not but flew to the Bahamas.

Miami airport, but not the current one. It's the Miami seaplane runway in Biscayne Bay between Miami and Miami Beach. The flight went to Alice Town, Bahamas, which is on Bimini Island, closer to Miami than Nassau. I don't really know seaplanes so I won't be able to say what plane was used.

Chauk's Ocean Airways, later Chauk's International Airlines, lasted a long time until around 2005 or so. An old Grumman seaplane crashed and the airline was shut down. It was tough to maintain a plane more than 50 years old and with the company no longer in the seaplane business. The FAA didn't have confidence in the airline.

I'm not completely sure of my answer except Chauk's was one of the first, if not the first, scheduled international flight. It used to be America's oldest airline when it was flying. I thought of flying them but wasn't too sure about the old aircraft. Kenmore Air flies old planes but Chauk's was an order of magnitude more difficult because Kenmore's old DHC Beavers and Otters are still support by the new manufacturer, Viking Air of Victoria, BC.

Last edited by Toshbaf; May 12, 2019 at 11:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.