Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
14. Yep, it was indeed American operating an L-188 Electra. However, this flight did not stop in Louisville or Pittsburgh, although it did stop in Cincinnati - but CVG wasn't the second stop.
14- in that case I'll posit the route was MEM-CVG-Cleveland (CLE)-Buffalo (BUF)-LGA
15. Nope, it wasn't Braniff International and the aircraft wasn't a B727-100. On the plus side of the column, the first stop was Nashville. However, the second stop wasn't made at Washington National.
15- well, let's stick with AA, running a "400 AstroJet" (BAC 1-11-400) that made its second stop at Baltimore (BAL)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
12. It's the winter of 1967 and you are once again in cold and gray New York City. Time to go see family and friends for Christmas in northern California! Now you could catch a nonstop flight from JFK to SFO....however, you're in no rush and have instead found an interesting multi-stop flight departing just after 2:00 pm which will arrive into San Francisco just after 10:00 pm. Five stops will be made en route and first class is available. Name the airport you will depart from in the NYC area, the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft type.!
12- thinking I'm on a roll here
I'm sticking with American: JFK-SFO on a Convair 990, stops being:
  1. Detroit (DTW)
  2. Chicago (ORD)
  3. St Louis (STL)
  4. Dallas (DAL)
  5. Phoenix (PHX)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Good evening all, from a place in the back of beyond a ways away from Cork, Ireland, where I flew into this afternoon https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-deo courtesy of an Aer Lingus A320, followed by an Avis Nissan. And despite the most appalling weather over here, which at breakfast time led to go-around after go-around past the house at London City (I think, just by the noise, because they were all up in the low cloud), the Aer Lingus flight operated in and out exactly to time, and made quite a notable stable crosswind landing at Cork, one of the windiest airports in Europe, on a hilltop, facing the open Atlantic, runway at right angles to the prevailing wind. Good for them....

I came through Cork quite some years ago, when the ramp always had a Vanguard and an Electra standing side-by-side ready for overnight freight services to Europe and back, which just showed how much bigger in all dimensions the Vanguard was than the Electra.

Now I see I've been well beaten on that Cayenne flight question (such is life) by it being Pan Am after all. One stop still missing - let's go, just like the ending of "Gregory's Girl", for Caracas....
1. Indeed, the missing stop we have been looking for is Caracas. Here's the complete sched...

PA 433: Miami (MIA) 06:00 - 08:50 Port au Prince (PAP) 09:10 - 11:45 Curacao (CUR) 12:05 - 13:00 Caracas (CCS) 14:00 - 16:10 Port of Spain (POS) 16:40 - 18:45 Georgetown (GEO) 19:15 - 20:25 Paramaribo (PBM) 20:45 - 21:20 Cayenne (CAY) 21:30 - 00:30 Belem (BEL)
Freq: Tuesdays only
Equip: "Douglas Super-6 Clipper" (DC-6B)
Service classes: F/Y - First class featured President Service and coach featured Rainbow Service
Note: PA 433 operated the same routing from MIA to POS on Sundays only

Cork sounds like a very interesting airport, geographically speaking! So here is a Bonus quiz item....

In the early fall of 1993, one airline was operating nonstop service on the weekends between Cork (ORK) and Jersey (JER) located in the Channel Islands. On Saturdays the service was operated with a turboprop while on Sundays the service was operated with a jet. Identify this air carrier and the respective aircraft types it operated on the route. ANSWERED

Meantime, the controversy continues concerning the Boeing 737 MAX 8 and its precautionary grounding by all countries except the U.S.and Canada . Our NBC Nightly News here attempted to inform the viewing audience this evening how to ascertain if one's flight on American, Southwest or Air Canada was being operated with a MAX 8, going as far to mention that one should look at the "equipment" listing. I'm sure that made a lot of sense to the viewing public.

And on a lighter note (no pun intended), a sure sign of spring has now arrived here in south Louisiana: the lightning bugs have returned! The flashing anticollision beacon on these wee little aviators is a welcome sight on a balmy evening out on our backyard deck as we enjoy a glass of fine Bordeaux....or two.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 15, 2019 at 3:46 pm Reason: PA 433 alt. freq. correction & bonus answer update
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
14- in that case I'll posit the route was MEM-CVG-Cleveland (CLE)-Buffalo (BUF)-LGA

15- well, let's stick with AA, running a "400 AstroJet" (BAC 1-11-400) that made its second stop at Baltimore (BAL)
14. & 15. Correct on both. Here are the scheds...

AA 778: Memphis (MEM) 8:05a - 10:28a Cincinnati (CVG) 10:50a - 11:47a Cleveland (CLE) 12:10p - 12:59p Buffalo (BUF) 1:20p - 2:25p New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Electra
Service classes: A/T

AA 436: Memphis (MEM) 1:40p - 2:25p Nashville (BNA) 2:50p - 5:20p Baltimore (BAL) 5:35p (est.) - 6:28p New York Newark (EWR)
Freq: Daily except on Saturdays
Equip: BAC One-Eleven "400 JET"
Service classes: F/Y
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12- thinking I'm on a roll here
I'm sticking with American: JFK-SFO on a Convair 990, stops being:
  1. Detroit (DTW)
  2. Chicago (ORD)
  3. St Louis (STL)
  4. Dallas (DAL)
  5. Phoenix (PHX)
12. A great guess....and here are the results:

Airline: American Yes!
NYC airport: JFK Yes!
Equip: CV-990 Nope
Stops: DTW, ORD, STL Nope; DAL, PHX yes...but DAL wasn't the fourth stop and PHX wasn't the fifth stop
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
And here we go one more time! As always, please limit your guesses to two and no more than three quiz items per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

Let's return to the days of aviation yore and the 1960's........

10. In 1967, Pacific Air Lines was serving eight destinations besides Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) with its Boeing 727-100 equipment. Name all eight destinations.
1. Eureka
2. San Jose
3. South Lake Tahoe
4. Monterey
5. Fresno (FAT)
6. Bakersfield
7. Santa Barbara
8. Hollywood Burbank
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
1. Eureka (ACV)
2. San Jose (SJC)
3. South Lake Tahoe (TVL)
4. Monterey (MRY)
5. Fresno (FAT)
6. Bakersfield (BFL)
7. Santa Barbara (SBA)
8. Hollywood Burbank (BUR)
10. Correct on all but one. Pacific Air Lines was not operating the 727 into South Lake Tahoe (TVL). Pacific did serve South Lake Tahoe with the 727 at one point but not at this time as the airline was operating the Fairchild F-27 into TVL instead.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NYC-SFO
12. A great guess....and here are the results:
Airline: American Yes!
NYC airport: JFK Yes!
Equip: CV-990 Nope
Stops: DTW, ORD, STL Nope; DAL, PHX yes...but DAL wasn't the fourth stop and PHX wasn't the fifth stop
PHX not the last stop ... AA wasn't known for backtracking, so Tucson (TUS) is out; they didn't serve Las Vegas, and they didn't fly up the coast from LAX or San Diego ... I remember United and TWA and Air West doing the 11-mile hop from Oakland (OAK), but that seems to be the only other candidate

as for two stops between JFK and DAL, I can come up with eight possible airports, but the fact that the flight originated JFK makes me think the equipment was a 707, which takes Washington National (DCA) off the table ... of the seven:
(a) the two westernmost would make a logical pairing
(b) the three easternmost could realistically pair with the either of the remaining two
(c) those two together would also present a logical choice

in the interest of reducing the back-and-forth, I'm going to double up on my guess here:
(a) JFK - Tulsa (TUL) - Oklahoma City (OKC) - DAL - PHX - OAK - SFO
(c) JFK - Nashville (BNA) - Memphis (MEM) - DAL- PHX - OAK - SFO
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
10. In 1967, Pacific Air Lines was serving eight destinations besides Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) with its Boeing 727-100 equipment. Name all eight destinations.
10. Correct on all but one. Pacific Air Lines was not operating the 727 into South Lake Tahoe (TVL). Pacific did serve South Lake Tahoe with the 727 at one point but not at this time as the airline was operating the Fairchild F-27 into TVL instead.
Old answer (omitting TVL)
1. Eureka (ACV)
2. San Jose (SJC)
3. -
4. Monterey (MRY)
5. Fresno (FAT)
6. Bakersfield (BFL)
7. Santa Barbara (SBA)

New answer
Las Vegas (LAS)
note that I am not guessing some bigger airports, like Sacramento (SMF), Oakland (OAK) or San Diego (SAN)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NYC-SFO

PHX not the last stop ... AA wasn't known for backtracking, so Tucson (TUS) is out; they didn't serve Las Vegas, and they didn't fly up the coast from LAX or San Diego ... I remember United and TWA and Air West doing the 11-mile hop from Oakland (OAK), but that seems to be the only other candidate

as for two stops between JFK and DAL, I can come up with eight possible airports, but the fact that the flight originated JFK makes me think the equipment was a 707, which takes Washington National (DCA) off the table ... of the seven:
(a) the two westernmost would make a logical pairing
(b) the three easternmost could realistically pair with the either of the remaining two
(c) those two together would also present a logical choice

in the interest of reducing the back-and-forth, I'm going to double up on my guess here:
(a) JFK - Tulsa (TUL) - Oklahoma City (OKC) - DAL - PHX - OAK - SFO
(c) JFK - Nashville (BNA) - Memphis (MEM) - DAL- PHX - OAK - SFO
12. Oh, come on.....the back-and-forth is part of the fun here on the OTAQ&D!

So which routing do you want to go with? And you are correct concerning the equipment. @:-)

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 13, 2019 at 10:44 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Old answer (omitting TVL)
1. Eureka (ACV)
2. San Jose (SJC)
3. -
4. Monterey (MRY)
5. Fresno (FAT)
6. Bakersfield (BFL)
7. Santa Barbara (SBA)

New answer
Las Vegas (LAS)
note that I am not guessing some bigger airports, like Sacramento (SMF), Oakland (OAK) or San Diego (SAN)
10. Las Vegas it is. Here's the route map with the Pacific Air Lines 727 routes along with their 727 air fares from their July 1, 1967 system timetable:

http://pacificairlinesportfolio.com/...001%20pg10.jpg

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 13, 2019 at 12:56 pm Reason: fixed the link
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what difference does it make?

if I’d just offered the first one first, and if was wrong, then your negative reply would mean I’d now be guessing the second ... if it’s right, game over, on to the next question; if not, I’ll start on the other permutations
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what difference does it make?

if I’d just offered the first one first, and if was wrong, then your negative reply would mean I’d now be guessing the second ... if it’s right, game over, on to the next question; if not, I’ll start on the other permutations
As you well know, the OTAQ&D is not meant to be multiple choice with regard to the answers as Seat 2A and I have discussed a number of times.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

enough with the lectures

JFK-TUL-OKC-DAL-PHX-OAK-SFO
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

enough with the lectures

JFK-TUL-OKC-DAL-PHX-OAK-SFO
We are just trying to keep it fun here. And while this flight did stop at OAK, it did not stop at TUL and OKC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.