Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most overrated airline in the world?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most overrated airline in the world?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Ah, you are making me smile...I have 2 ANA flights booked for an upcoming trip (courtesy of Aeroplan) and have ANA HKG-HND in Business and NRT-ORD in F. From what I have read I think that NRT-ORD flight is going to be superb.
I recently flew ANA in F (NRT-IAD). Wonderful service, with friendly staff; Great food; Great hard product. My only (minor) criticism is that the wall of the seat blocks the window, obstructing your view (First Square), if that's important to you.

Last edited by joer1212; Nov 12, 2015 at 1:58 am
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hu wins the contest in question, hands down.

But, if you ignore the (almost surely purchased) skytrax 5 star rating, they are kind of decent (e.g. great price for lie flat seats).
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
SQ is definitely overrated. I find both JL and NH to be superior.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the one you've just been on where you had a bad experience

while I suppose this criterion could be applied in a purely literal sense to LCCs and ULCCs as well, I don't think that was really the intent of the question since most reasonably savvy travelers (which I expect includes most FT regulars) have very well-defined expectations with respect to those carriers
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA
My parents recently went to the UK for the first time. They had never been across the pond although they had been all around the Caribbean and Pacific.

My father insisted on flying BA. There was no way he was flying an American carrier. He wanted the "BA experience"...and he got it. Was very disappointed despite my attempts to temper expectations.

So, for those with 'legacy' expectations, I'd have to say BA.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is anything really rated that well for ALL cabins AND ground etc?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Jetblue. Now that David Neeleman is long gone the days of new planes, friendly outgoing employees and state of the art technology are long gone. Their fleet is getting older, their employees are a hit or miss (from being real outgoing to just being rude), and most airlines have caught up/surpassed them in terms of PTV's and wifi. While i'll still fly them if the price and schedule is right I won't go out of my way to fly on them anymore. A real shame, but it is what it is.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
SQ biz

Air Canada - should be a 2/3* airline - but bought their 4* rating
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

who rates LCCs highly??
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
LH in first place (several times I have been told my luggage weighed 20.25 kilograms or such, and I had to repack to get down to 20.0000 kilograms; food just so-so; poor service at airports, FA attention poor, etc.). BA in second place with the intra-Europe premium class being just blocked out middle seats, food not edible, etc.

Last edited by relangford; Apr 19, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:10 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

TG and SQ.

Underrated...CI.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
BA's premium experience (J and F) for sure, although my F sample size was one sector.

QF's domestic J is underrated compared with other short haul J services, IMO.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Amelorn
BA's premium experience (J and F) for sure, although my F sample size was one sector.
What about F didn't you enjoy?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by TMM1982
What about F didn't you enjoy?
-Lack of a dedicated F lounge in SIN. The QF lounge was great, though crowded and loud.
-The timing ex-SIN was not conducive to sleep.
-My snapper over chicken rice was tasty, but the meal service was on par with a solid J product, rather than F.
-The crew could not have cared less and basically ignored us (incl call bells!). This was the killer.
-The F lav on my side was out.
-The seat was on par with the CX J seat. About the only thing differentiating the service from a 1-2-1 J was the presence of LPGS champagne.

Note: the aircraft was a 773.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Sorry Virgin Atlantic.
I was SO looking forward to my recent holiday and getting to sample your Upper Class.
Two A340s (Dancing Queen and Lady Bird) and 744 (Mustang Sally).
The FA's were friendly, but service seemed disorganized.
The folks sitting along the window would get pre-departure drinks, while I received a menu for the inflight meal but no drinks. Then a different flight attendant would take dinner orders, only to realize that nobody along the window had received menus. Then a different flight attendant went around collecting pre-departure wine glasses, only to realize half the cabin never received drinks. The FA's were all giving their best efforts, it just seemed there was no communication between them. Now add the need for an FA to turn your seat into a bed when you want to sleep, and it all just seemed a bit chaotic.
If it was a one-time thing, no problem. But similar issues on three flights points to an endemic problem.
Poor screen quality and selection on the IFE, and several minutes of commercials before displaying your selection, only added to the mediocre experience.

The sorry state of Mustang Sally's interior (only one functioning lav in LL Upper Class) was very surprising. I expected the LHR-JFK route on a 747 to be the pride of the fleet.

So yeah...I had imagined VS to be the European version of Singapore or Emirates.
The Lounge in LHR was the finest I've ever been in; but the Upper Class experience was...meh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.