Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most overrated airline in the world?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt

My vote goes to LH, which is supposedly so superior to the dreaded United States airlines. Yet with LH, I've discovered woefully overcrowded lounges (which charge for internet, too), lost bags, and robotic customer service.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
My vote goes to LH, which is supposedly so superior to the dreaded United States airlines. Yet with LH, I've discovered woefully overcrowded lounges (which charge for internet, too), lost bags, and robotic customer service.
I would vote for Lufthansa LH and British Airways BA !!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I find LH's service robotic, but at least staff are competent and knowledgeable -- fits the German cultural stereotype, I suppose.

I will add two nominees:

-- Singapore: Yes, this is an excellent airline. I have limited experience, having flown a handful of times in all three classes on short- and mid-haul routes. But I am not sure that it lives up to the fawning accolades and the hype, and, for the mileage collector, there are some downsides.

-- Qatar: This is a great airline from the time you get to your seat until the time that you get up. However, a lot of other aspects -- ground handling, customer service -- are painful, so that, on balance, it's not always a great total offering if you fly them frequently and inevitably experience problems. I have been much more comfortable with EK in this regard. I find the DOH premium terminal to be overrated. I probably find the Senator lounges in FRA no worse, over-crowded as they are, because they have better amenities -- lots of newspapers, draught beer, self-service alcohol (which is available in the QR F premium terminal but not J), staff who can solve problems, and a better selection of snacks (though inferior selection of meals). I agree that paid internet in LH lounges is a major drawback.

I have been fortunate to avoid any major irregular operations in my travel with QR, but I am sure that their handling would be poor, compared to LH's deftness. As I have said in previous posts on the QR forum, part of the problem lies with the Doha airport, for which one can't totally blame the carrier, and which will hopefully be remedied soon.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: BMI Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Qatar the worlds 5* Airline.........really? Cold food and attendants that are passive at best.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I think you need to qualify this with class of service. When I think LH lounges I think of the FCL in MUC, the FCT in FRA or the FCL in JFK, these are hardly "woefully overcrowded." I will agree that many of their SEN lounges are lousy, but I will still take them over US flag carrier lounges any day.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:13 am

My encounters with CX have been pretty mediocre, at best, although both experiences were in Y on the ancient 744s flying LAX-HKG.

QF in Y on the 744s from LAX or SFO to SYD isn't much to write home about, either.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
United.

Mike
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
United.

Mike
Wouldn't that presuppose that anyone ever rated UA highly?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by brendog
Not necessarily. I've always rated it bottom of the barrel and felt that it was a massive overrating.

Mike
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by brendog
But they have E+ which solves everything don't you know that?

disgruntled employee encounter?...but they have E+
no AVOD on their longest route to SYD? but they have E+
Planes with paint flaking off and multiple MX delays?...at least you're sitting in E+.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Jul 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Overrated full stop, or overrated based on historical "greatness" which has now diminished?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by hfly
Overrated full stop, or overrated based on historical "greatness" which has now diminished?
Delta for both counts! :P
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Southwest. Hear me out though.

Most Southwest defenders (especially people who don't travel very much) claim they're "always the cheapest" but lately as many many threads will attest to, that hasn't been the case. If their largest defense and reason for being is no longer correct and they're just like everyone else, but without the ability to upgrade/lounge access/choose seats and no ability to get an international award than to me they're the most overrated.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta, UA
Originally Posted by CMK10
Southwest. Hear me out though.

Most Southwest defenders (especially people who don't travel very much) claim they're "always the cheapest" but lately as many many threads will attest to, that hasn't been the case. If their largest defense and reason for being is no longer correct and they're just like everyone else, but without the ability to upgrade/lounge access/choose seats and no ability to get an international award than to me they're the most overrated.
Agreed, agreed, agreed. It seems that most Southwest proponents ARE people who don't travel much, and like you said, they don't always have the lowest fares, and honestly, more often than not these days, they seem to be higher.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:32 pm

SQ.

It's perfectly fine, but in my experience not any better than its direct competitors. As a Y flyer, I would even rate them slightly below. Have never understood their aura...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.