Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most overrated airline in the world?

What's the most overrated airline in the world?

Old Apr 22, 15, 11:53 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 787
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 1,269
AA. what ever their rating is I'd lower it by 10.
ThePointsCollector is offline  
Old Apr 23, 15, 11:12 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Posts: 1,504
Singapore Airlines. I have flown them several times, all in economy, and don't think SQ is significantly better than other airlines. Their Y seats are like any airlines Y - cramped and uncomfortable on long flights. IFE is top notch but other airlines have the same IFE. Food is decent but still economy class food. SQ flight attendants are very hit and miss - some are super nice, some indifferent, some downright surly.
Austin787 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 15, 7:39 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Posts: 3,776
Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
Singapore Airlines. I have flown them several times, all in economy, and don't think SQ is significantly better than other airlines. Their Y seats are like any airlines Y - cramped and uncomfortable on long flights. IFE is top notch but other airlines have the same IFE. Food is decent but still economy class food. SQ flight attendants are very hit and miss - some are super nice, some indifferent, some downright surly.
SQ's reputation (as well as EK's) are based on their premium cabin.
SQ Y is good, but not a great way to fly.
kkjay77 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 15, 8:53 pm
  #64  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,339
Qantas.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 15, 9:54 pm
  #65  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 13,307
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Southwest. Hear me out though.

Most Southwest defenders (especially people who don't travel very much) claim they're "always the cheapest" but lately as many many threads will attest to, that hasn't been the case. If their largest defense and reason for being is no longer correct and they're just like everyone else, but without the ability to upgrade/lounge access/choose seats and no ability to get an international award than to me they're the most overrated.
This. Just booked SAN-SLC-DEN on Delta that was the same price as the non-stop Southwest flight; with the $50 Delta gift certificate that I had it ended up being significantly cheaper. Still more expensive than Frontier and Spirit but I'm not a fan of ULCC.

Originally Posted by kylesuo View Post
It seems that most Southwest proponents ARE people who don't travel much, and like you said, they don't always have the lowest fares, and honestly, more often than not these days, they seem to be higher.
It's more that people don't research much before booking, which is strange because with sites like Kayak there's no real excuse not to any more.
tmiw is offline  
Old Apr 26, 15, 9:11 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 191
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
This. Just booked SAN-SLC-DEN on Delta that was the same price as the non-stop Southwest flight; with the $50 Delta gift certificate that I had it ended up being significantly cheaper. Still more expensive than Frontier and Spirit but I'm not a fan of ULCC.



It's more that people don't research much before booking, which is strange because with sites like Kayak there's no real excuse not to any more.
You can't compare a flight with a stop to one that's direct though. That's not a fair comparison. I've never even flown Southwest so I don't care what people think of them, but you have to compare apples to apples
shaner82 is offline  
Old Apr 26, 15, 9:00 pm
  #67  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,339
Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
You can't compare a flight with a stop to one that's direct though. That's not a fair comparison. I've never even flown Southwest so I don't care what people think of them, but you have to compare apples to apples
Why? Who says when finding the cheapest flight you have to compare apples to applies.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Apr 26, 15, 9:15 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Posts: 1,632
Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
Singapore Airlines. I have flown them several times, all in economy, and don't think SQ is significantly better than other airlines. Their Y seats are like any airlines Y - cramped and uncomfortable on long flights. IFE is top notch but other airlines have the same IFE. Food is decent but still economy class food. SQ flight attendants are very hit and miss - some are super nice, some indifferent, some downright surly.
Thanks to a company travel policy that only allows really senior guys to fly J, I've flown tens of thousands of miles in 6 / 8 of SkyTrax'es 5-star airlines in Y. What you've typed here equally applies to ALL of them.
shuigao is offline  
Old Apr 26, 15, 9:55 pm
  #69  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Posts: 8,026
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Southwest. Hear me out though.

Most Southwest defenders (especially people who don't travel very much) claim they're "always the cheapest" but lately as many many threads will attest to, that hasn't been the case. If their largest defense and reason for being is no longer correct and they're just like everyone else, but without the ability to upgrade/lounge access/choose seats and no ability to get an international award than to me they're the most overrated.
+100. Most of my travel is on my own dime, and I like to get what is a good value to me, so I always price all carriers. There has only been 1 trip in the last couple years that Southwest has been cheaper than other airlines, and that was a work trip, so I had no choice as we follow a "cheapest economy" rule domestically. I've found with Southwest, to get a fare that is close to what I'd pay on UA, I'd need to connect/stop in at least 1 airport vs. a direct flight on UA.

Also, living in Houston, I dislike flying out of Hobby. There is nothing to do there when your flight is delayed and no lounges. At IAH I have lounges and stuff to do, which I often need.

The only WN flight I have booked for the next 12 months is a points flight courtesy of Chase, and that's because I was able to get non-stop flights at the exact times I wanted them.
krazykanuck is online now  
Old Apr 27, 15, 4:35 pm
  #70  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oakland, California, USA
Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Posts: 10,433
British Airways. Not that it's horrible (and certainly not in comparison with USA airlines.) But at least in international F and J (which I've been fortunate enough to fly in recent years) it portrays itself as being a top tier airline while in reality comparing unfavorably with lots of competition in terms of hard product, soft product, phone service, some online features, etc.
Thunderroad is offline  
Old Apr 27, 15, 4:56 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,427
For me, the award has to go to Thai: the hard product was fine (although not outstanding), but I had a terrible experience with every TG employee I encountered start to finish on the journey. I also think BKK is a terrible transit hub - only place I've ever seen a sign indicating I needed to walk more than a kilometer (!), and the lounges were dank, depressing caves with mediocre food options.

Maybe I'd have had a better experience if I was flying F rather than J, of course. But I'd heard people rave about their service on FT, and I can't see how they're possibly in the same league as any top tier Asian carrier.
BenA is online now  
Old Apr 30, 15, 7:29 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 175
I mean, I'm assuming all American carriers are out right? Because they're crap to begin with and this thread title clearly points to "overrated" airlines...
Strawboy1230 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 15, 9:41 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DEN, LAS, SIN
Programs: AA CK
Posts: 931
Lufthansa and Emirates
ckx2 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 15, 9:51 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,130
Originally Posted by Strawboy1230 View Post
I mean, I'm assuming all American carriers are out right? Because they're crap to begin with and this thread title clearly points to "overrated" airlines...
No. Because, to be overrated, they'd have to have someone rating them highly to begin with, which isn't happening very often!
84fiero is offline  
Old Apr 30, 15, 10:28 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 9,897
What's the most overrated airline in the world?

I think you also have the issue of X airline is great, they won all those awards - yes they won all those awards because of their great first class cabin, but most of us are not flying in first class or even business class. In order to make the top cabins great they've crammed as many people as possible into the back and cut what little quality there is to what is provided.

So a lot of people choose Emirates (for example) because "I've heard it's really great," and it is pretty nice up front. Except that they are flying coach and their friend who raved about it was up in first class. Quite a different experience.

You've also got the problem of people going on past reputation or experience and thinking the airline is still the same as it was 20 years ago (like the guy that goes into every review of JAL on FT and rants about his bad experience with them back in the 70s).
wrp96 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread