Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most overrated airline in the world?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: Too many to list
AA. what ever their rating is I'd lower it by 10.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Singapore Airlines. I have flown them several times, all in economy, and don't think SQ is significantly better than other airlines. Their Y seats are like any airlines Y - cramped and uncomfortable on long flights. IFE is top notch but other airlines have the same IFE. Food is decent but still economy class food. SQ flight attendants are very hit and miss - some are super nice, some indifferent, some downright surly.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by Austin787
Singapore Airlines. I have flown them several times, all in economy, and don't think SQ is significantly better than other airlines. Their Y seats are like any airlines Y - cramped and uncomfortable on long flights. IFE is top notch but other airlines have the same IFE. Food is decent but still economy class food. SQ flight attendants are very hit and miss - some are super nice, some indifferent, some downright surly.
SQ's reputation (as well as EK's) are based on their premium cabin.
SQ Y is good, but not a great way to fly.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Qantas.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
Southwest. Hear me out though.

Most Southwest defenders (especially people who don't travel very much) claim they're "always the cheapest" but lately as many many threads will attest to, that hasn't been the case. If their largest defense and reason for being is no longer correct and they're just like everyone else, but without the ability to upgrade/lounge access/choose seats and no ability to get an international award than to me they're the most overrated.
This. Just booked SAN-SLC-DEN on Delta that was the same price as the non-stop Southwest flight; with the $50 Delta gift certificate that I had it ended up being significantly cheaper. Still more expensive than Frontier and Spirit but I'm not a fan of ULCC.

Originally Posted by kylesuo
It seems that most Southwest proponents ARE people who don't travel much, and like you said, they don't always have the lowest fares, and honestly, more often than not these days, they seem to be higher.
It's more that people don't research much before booking, which is strange because with sites like Kayak there's no real excuse not to any more.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
This. Just booked SAN-SLC-DEN on Delta that was the same price as the non-stop Southwest flight; with the $50 Delta gift certificate that I had it ended up being significantly cheaper. Still more expensive than Frontier and Spirit but I'm not a fan of ULCC.

It's more that people don't research much before booking, which is strange because with sites like Kayak there's no real excuse not to any more.
You can't compare a flight with a stop to one that's direct though. That's not a fair comparison. I've never even flown Southwest so I don't care what people think of them, but you have to compare apples to apples
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by shaner82
You can't compare a flight with a stop to one that's direct though. That's not a fair comparison. I've never even flown Southwest so I don't care what people think of them, but you have to compare apples to apples
Why? Who says when finding the cheapest flight you have to compare apples to applies.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Austin787
Thanks to a company travel policy that only allows really senior guys to fly J, I've flown tens of thousands of miles in 6 / 8 of SkyTrax'es 5-star airlines in Y. What you've typed here equally applies to ALL of them.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Southwest. Hear me out though.

Most Southwest defenders (especially people who don't travel very much) claim they're "always the cheapest" but lately as many many threads will attest to, that hasn't been the case. If their largest defense and reason for being is no longer correct and they're just like everyone else, but without the ability to upgrade/lounge access/choose seats and no ability to get an international award than to me they're the most overrated.
+100. Most of my travel is on my own dime, and I like to get what is a good value to me, so I always price all carriers. There has only been 1 trip in the last couple years that Southwest has been cheaper than other airlines, and that was a work trip, so I had no choice as we follow a "cheapest economy" rule domestically. I've found with Southwest, to get a fare that is close to what I'd pay on UA, I'd need to connect/stop in at least 1 airport vs. a direct flight on UA.

Also, living in Houston, I dislike flying out of Hobby. There is nothing to do there when your flight is delayed and no lounges. At IAH I have lounges and stuff to do, which I often need.

The only WN flight I have booked for the next 12 months is a points flight courtesy of Chase, and that's because I was able to get non-stop flights at the exact times I wanted them.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
British Airways. Not that it's horrible (and certainly not in comparison with USA airlines.) But at least in international F and J (which I've been fortunate enough to fly in recent years) it portrays itself as being a top tier airline while in reality comparing unfavorably with lots of competition in terms of hard product, soft product, phone service, some online features, etc.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
For me, the award has to go to Thai: the hard product was fine (although not outstanding), but I had a terrible experience with every TG employee I encountered start to finish on the journey. I also think BKK is a terrible transit hub - only place I've ever seen a sign indicating I needed to walk more than a kilometer (!), and the lounges were dank, depressing caves with mediocre food options.

Maybe I'd have had a better experience if I was flying F rather than J, of course. But I'd heard people rave about their service on FT, and I can't see how they're possibly in the same league as any top tier Asian carrier.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:29 am

I mean, I'm assuming all American carriers are out right? Because they're crap to begin with and this thread title clearly points to "overrated" airlines...
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: LH HON
Lufthansa and Emirates
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
I mean, I'm assuming all American carriers are out right? Because they're crap to begin with and this thread title clearly points to "overrated" airlines...
No. Because, to be overrated, they'd have to have someone rating them highly to begin with, which isn't happening very often!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

I think you also have the issue of X airline is great, they won all those awards - yes they won all those awards because of their great first class cabin, but most of us are not flying in first class or even business class. In order to make the top cabins great they've crammed as many people as possible into the back and cut what little quality there is to what is provided.

So a lot of people choose Emirates (for example) because "I've heard it's really great," and it is pretty nice up front. Except that they are flying coach and their friend who raved about it was up in first class. Quite a different experience.

You've also got the problem of people going on past reputation or experience and thinking the airline is still the same as it was 20 years ago (like the guy that goes into every review of JAL on FT and rants about his bad experience with them back in the 70s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.