Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most overrated airline in the world?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most overrated airline in the world?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Actually... living in Canada the no lifetime limit on Amex cards makes it very easy to churn. Amex Gold -> Plat -> Biz Gold, etc. Or Aeroplan Gold -> Plat -> Reserve -> etc.
Credit score....
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:14 pm

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/TravelersChoice-Airlines

Being able to be the world's best airline annually in all surveys comes with certain expectations. But does SQ live up to it?

I just find it strange and is puzzled/curious and want to know how SQ can be the world's best airline in all surveys annually without all the extras that "WOW" the passengers:

1. The lounges are not fantastic, mediocre at best. Do not even have a sleeping bed, no free Spa and massage.

2. No soup, amenity kit or pajamas even in long-haul Business Class.

3. No mother of pearl spoon when serve caviar in First Class. In fact, crew does not know what is a mother of pearl spoon. Caviar only limited to lunch & dinner in First Class, other airlines have it even for supper.

4. No chauffeur to & from airport.

5. No choice of hot or cold towels served on a towel plate like many airlines like ANA, Qatar Airways, Garuda Indonesia, EVA Air.

6. No baggage stand for First & Business Class passengers' baggage at the carousel like Garuda Indonesia.

7. No arrivals lounge in SIN like Qatar Airways, British Airways, Etihad Airways, ANA.

8. Their A380s do not even have a lounge area, bar, self service area with snacks.

9. SQ's Business Class does not have wine-tasting service like on Qatar Airways, ANA, EVA Air and Garuda Indonesia.

10. No Dine-on-demand service in Business Class like Qatar & Etihad Airways.

The best part is the cabin crew does not know what is a mother of pearl spoon!!!!!!!!

Business Class on Qatar Airways, ANA, EVA Air and Garuda Indonesia offers wine-tasting service when you order white or red wine like in First Class. First they bring the bottle to you to see, after that pour out a bit to taste and after that pour the rest. The interesting thing is, no matter how many times you order the red/white wine, they will keep on repeating the steps with a smile. I'm serious.

On the "world's best" airline, only SQ's First Class have this service. In Business Class they pour out in the galley and serve you the glass.

Something is very wrong with the system. Only the new seats designed by SQ is good and SQ is convenient and direct to SIN, saves time. Service is just above average at most. Not polished at all. I suspect it's because SQ has a HUGE group of DIE HARD loyalty supporters. Even though at the back of their mind they know that SQ is not the best airline in the world, they will still vote for SQ.

I would like to hear views from readers.

Singapore Airlines is still a good airline just that it does not have the extras (lounges, GODIVA chocolates, cold/hot towels on a towel plate, light options for food, food presentation, service attitude, wine-tasting, photos of wine bottles in menu cards, separate food & drinks menu, seat with sliding door, self-service area in non-Qsuite planes, amenity kit, pajamas, turn down service) that Qatar Airways have. Once you have flown in the Business Class cabins of Singapore Airlines & Qatar Airways, you will know what I mean. I am not biased. What I stated are facts and not made up.
https://www.executivetraveller.com/r...business-class

Someone posted about his recent trip on Qatar Airways Business Class:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31460062-post147.html

His comments:
"I'm done with SQ. Qatar product is so much better.

Doha first lounge is 100x nicer than SQ.

Biz meal is like first"

You can compare with someone's recent trip report on SQ Business Class from SIN to London, just look at the food presentation and snacks compared to Qatar's:
An Icelandic Summer and a side of London, Stockholm & Oslo (SQ, FI, SK, QR in J/Y) - SQTalk

SQ ranked world's no.2 in 2019's Skytrax is just overrated!! The difference is so huge!!

Sam Chui recently flew on Oman Air First Class to London...really a very impressive airline!! Watch 8min10secs, inside the Oman Air First Class lounge, there is Suntory Hibiki 17 years and Hennessy Paradis!! In Business Class there is a choice of hot & cold towels, just like Qatar Airways! Please watch!!

Last edited by vsepr; Aug 28, 2019 at 9:28 pm
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I think those are the sort of concerns that only travel bloggers care about.

(Okay, I'll give you the lack of arrivals lounge but there's the Haven lounge in SIN if you need a shower)

Plus SQ does a reliably good roti pratha with fish curry in The Private Room so as long as they keep that I'm happy with SQ F.

Last edited by txflyer77; Aug 29, 2019 at 1:28 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
The lack of a mother of pearl spoon just, well it just sickens me. Just when you think airlines couldn’t become any lower.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
The lack of a mother of pearl spoon just, well it just sickens me. Just when you think airlines couldn’t become any lower.
Emirates also does not have a mother of pearl spoon but you can have caviar for any meal, not just for lunch & dinner like on SQ. Only Qatar Airways gives out 2 mother of pearl spoons.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Surveys, awards programs, and similar often are just popularity contests driven by a herd mentality - whatever the subject matter may be. Also in many cases only the folks who have the strongest feelings, good or bad, will bother to respond to award program surveys and such. Either just try different things for yourself and make your own determination - or research actual reviews of others' experiences and use that to decide what the best product or service would be for your needs, focusing more on the facts than the opinions.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:39 am

I am going to talk about Garuda Indonesia First Class! Sam Chui just posted a new video about Garuda Indonesia First Class today, 31 Aug 2019 and the service is like royalty!! Garuda Indonesia First Class is only available on DPS to NRT route, so it's very rare!
15min40s: Look at the presentation of the caviar service!! Should be the best in the world!!
12min50s: Slipper service!!
19min50s: Food presentation!!
22min50s: The crew will put the amenity kit, slippers in a Garuda Indonesia First Class paper bag and give you. Simply amazing!! Really makes Singapore Airlines First Class look so OVERRATED!!

Last edited by vsepr; Aug 31, 2019 at 6:13 am
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:34 am

Thumbs up

This is the Garuda Indonesia Business Class review:
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/gar...usiness-class/

Scroll all the way down to see the “Garuda Premium Arrival Service” to collect your baggage in a lounge. I think Garuda Indonesia is the only airline in the world to have this service for First & Business Class. Really amazing!!

Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I only have a three flight data pool but I could see an argument for Singapore. The first two flights were regional Business Class flights in Asia:

- SIN-TPE: Ground service at SIN was fine though nothing special. The lounge was very good though really dimly lit. Food was above average as was alcohol. The flight was mixed. I was on a regional A-330-300 which had some of the worst IFE I've seen in the last few years. The seat itself is not very comfortable and I don't want to imagine trying to sleep in it. Food and service were very good though.
- HKG-SIN: SQ Lounge at HKG is pretty bad, it's like being in a dark cave, food was good though. Same seats as the last flight this time on a 777-200 with better IFE at least. Food and service again very good.

One long haul flight:
- FRA-JFK: Bad ground handling (contract staff) at FRA. Lounges were good though not SQ's. Service was awful. The menu is a strange breakfast/lunch hybrid so I had cereal and yogurt then duck. Crew was terrible. They kept disappearing, they didn't fulfill requests or got them wrong (I ordered Port which never came, I asked for sparkling water and got still etc.), the second meal was pretty bad. The seat itself on the A-380 is really uncomfortable for lounging unless you have a bulkhead as you can only get one foot in the footwell.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
In Canada the most over-rated airline is WestJet.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Tripadvisor, what a joke!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Tripadvisor, what a joke!

New just out today, 12 Sept 2019:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/aw...-2019-results/

Singapore Airlines was once again a major winner, winning the overall award for Best Airline in the World and Best Asia-Pacific Airline for the 19th year running. The airline also held on to the awards for: Best First Class and Best Economy Class, while Qatar Airways picked up the Best Business Class award this year. Singapore Airlines also won Best Premium Economy Class and claimed the prize for Best Frequent-Flyer Programme. Cathay Pacific picked up the Best Airport Lounge award again this year.

Now you will why we need this forum thread! Congratulations Singapore Airlines!!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Emirates I think wins this hands down. Mostly because the way they advertise themselves. In the same note Qatar over advertise themselves but I find the crew on Qatar more amendable.

The crew on Emirates are odd, I find them rude and almost borderline arrogant at times. On more than one occasion I've seen some FA's in the galley talking whilst people are boarding.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Considering AA just received another APEX 5 star rating have to give them the nod this year
mhy likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Emirates I think wins this hands down. Mostly because the way they advertise themselves. In the same note Qatar over advertise themselves but I find the crew on Qatar more amendable.

The crew on Emirates are odd, I find them rude and almost borderline arrogant at times. On more than one occasion I've seen some FA's in the galley talking whilst people are boarding.
Yes! I agree with what you said about the Emirates crew! They can be either very friendly or cold and unfriendly at times and they like to sit at the galley to chit-chat!! They are very different from the Qatar Airways cabin crew. On Qatar Airways, both the cabin manager and crew serving your area will come and greet you before take off and before landing again to thank you for flying with them. They will give you a short introduction of your seat too. You don't get this service on EK and SQ.

But Emirates seldom or does not get the "World's Best Airline" title in airline surveys unlike Singapore Airlines hence Singapore Airlines should be the world's most overrated airline!

Last edited by vsepr; Sep 17, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.