Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I just might SNAP if another person cuts in front of me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I just might SNAP if another person cuts in front of me!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Happens to me all the time. Not only at boarding, but also in the priority lanes at security. I think that the so-called "premium passengers" have the worst manners.
Not only have I had it happen to me at security, but I've also had it happen to me at the gate counter before the flight had even begun boarding. Flying is like driving, for some reason manners and common courtesy are left at the door. And I agree, typically it's the frequent flyers, i.e. the people that should and do know better, that are the worst.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:49 pm

I tend to just wait until the last moment to even get to the gate. No more lines by then, and since my seat is reserved it's not like I have to get in early. Of course occasionally you do find some idiot sitting in your seat but that's usually quickly resolved.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by CyBeR
I tend to just wait until the last moment to even get to the gate. No more lines by then, and since my seat is reserved it's not like I have to get in early. Of course occasionally you do find some idiot sitting in your seat but that's usually quickly resolved.
That's fine, as long as you are on a day trip with no carry-on luggage, or you have faith in the airline to deliver your un-mangled bag in a timely fashion at your destination. As for me, I'll board promptly when I am supposed to (without cutting in line or blocking others). YMMV.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
That's fine, as long as you are on a day trip with no carry-on luggage, or you have faith in the airline to deliver your un-mangled bag in a timely fashion at your destination. As for me, I'll board promptly when I am supposed to (without cutting in line or blocking others). YMMV.
When I check baggage it's a suitcase. I've never had one mangled. As for carry-on, it'd be a back pack that I will usually keep under the chair in front of me. Unless I'm packing extra things (duty-free, whatever) I don't usually use overhead bins because accessing them during flight is annoying to say the least.

Of course I'm not from the US, so I deal with airlines who don't charge baggage fees (I also don't do RyanAir) and know how to handle it.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CJKatl
On one of my flights this week, I think it was ATL-BMI, the announcement was made that anyone traveling with young children and needing extra time could board. Three different families with kids who appeared to be eight to fourteen jammed themselves in the front of the line and boarded. Not a baby, toddler, or kinderkid in sight. Clearly, these were people who did not need extra time, nor were these children. They were almost all teens. (Special note to the worn-looking older woman with the cheaply bleached hair and the fading tat on her left leg: If the kid is taller than the adult, you don't need to board early because you're traveling with a child.)
BMI?! No way! That sounds very much like the demographic and the behavior. Don't take it seriously, though; they really just don't understand the system. I've been tailgated into the SP line many a time on my BMI flights just because other people thought I looked like them but that I knew where I was going. I've also ran into many obnoxious FFers on BMI flights who assume that anyone not donning the FF uniform (tucked-in polo and slacks) is of dirt status. I will proudly wear my broke college student uniform (logo tee and old shorts) while boarding the SP lane, thank you very much.

Originally Posted by crispy116
Also the number one cause of gate lice behavior is one single announcement 'In a few minutes we will begin pre-boarding......', why bother making the annnouncement?
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I have always wanted them to mount a lighted sign above the jetway door that says "First Class Only Boarding Now." Instead of any announcements about boarding, which do tend to draw people of all zones toward the gate regardless of how many zone instructions have been given, I say just silently turn on the first class boarding sign. Those in the know will move forward and board.
Sheer brilliance. Thank you.

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Are people that hard-up for money that they cannot budget the baggage fees into their travel? Or, are they so important that waiting for their the luggage in baggage claim would cause them to miss that meeting with the President? This is targeted at those DYKWIA folks who like to carry a roll-aboard, a tri-fold garmet bag, and a computer bag.
I am a huge fan of Spirit airlines' paid carry-on policy for this reason. Schumer needs to let the Attorney General do his consumer protection job and let this policy spread.

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Exactly. Rather than venting here, be a man in the line and tell them in their face to take a hike. Keeping your rollerboard in the forward, defensive position rather than the passive, trailing position gives you extra leverage to make your point.
You should teach classes on this.

Originally Posted by kelvinj
Your response to me, someone who has absolutely no ego, indicates that you are the one with the ego (read: Bonafide DYKWIA type)."
You'd have to have one hell of an ego to claim that you don't have one.

Originally Posted by NW Mourning
It's true that lining up is an integral part of our culture and that we learn this in kindergarten. It's also true that many people fly through US airports who did not grow up in the States... I don't "look elite" ( and not because I'm young, either) so I'm often the person the anxious lady flying for the first time asks about boarding procedure, or because I sign, the one who tells the deaf person what the announcement was. My experience has been that the crowders are just afraid to miss their planes. I also noticed that, on my last several flights, the Delta GA's did indeed send people back who had mistakenly tried to board with first, and that those who had made the error apologized.
All great points. I don't condone budging, but I strongly support the policy of "assuming good faith," which I have unabashedly stolen from Wikipedia.

Originally Posted by Tennis69
Having worked and traveled for many years in China and Viet Nam I guess I have gotten used to this behavior. After my first couple of encounters while boarding in China, I started behaving just like they do. Push and cut in line. It's expected of you and can be quite fun especially when you do it to another Westerner who assumes that everyone will wait in the queue.
If you did this to me, I'd trip you because I know you should know better.

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I've routinely had snide comments directed towards me for boarding early when I've had to push my way through the gate lice to get to the queue. Typically it's ma and pa kettle on their yearly trip to Disney World who don't understand the whole flying thing.
The same way you get pissy if people cut in front of you, since they don't know the rules (or, perhaps more accurately, haven't accepted them, in the same way one might accept a religion), they feel like you're just cutting in front of them. But since it's like a religion that they just haven't accepted, if you get upset at them, it just makes you a bigot.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:20 am

Of course I'm not from the US, so I deal with airlines who don't charge baggage fees (I also don't do RyanAir) and know how to handle it.
I've had baggage lost by Swiss and Air France.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: Delta, American, Qantas, HAL, Starwood,
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Exactly. Rather than venting here, be a man in the line and tell them in their face to take a hike. Keeping your rollerboard in the forward, defensive position rather than the passive, trailing position gives you extra leverage to make your point.
Exactly...If everyone just said hey get to the back of the line they won't try to do it.

I only weigh 160 pounds but when people try these shenanigans on me I say hey nice try get to the back of the line and there are no problems about them taking the proverbial hike... as i am normally travelling with my friends and most of us play hockey and rugby.

Oh and don't get me started on people sitting in your seat so that you will seat swap with them...

Last edited by Icypackattack; Jul 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm Reason: ...
Old Jul 24, 2010, 8:13 am
Suspended

Last night I was flying SAN-PHX. On WN

If you know the WN terminal at SAN, you know that the security line is this tiny bottleneck area and there are only 3 lines, all of which kind of back into either of the security stands where the TSA looks at your DL and BP.

So, I was in line on the far left, 2 people away from the bins. It was a clearly formed line.

This Kettle ( and I know he was a kettle, older, with his wife, both in holiday clothing ) simply walked around me and stood infront of me. He even made eye contact with me as he did it and tried to beckon his wife to stand beside him. SHE knew he was cutting and was sort of resisting coming over. I said what I always say to line cutters "Does the line not apply to you?". He got behind me without comment.

Then, in the bording line another interesting incident. I was A23. An older couple get infront of me. A21 was already lined up, I saw her BP. So, in between 21 and me at 23, there should only have been 1 person.

So I glance down at the man's BP and I see A22. No biggie I figure, the flight is not full. But my giving a pass on the incident went out the window when the husband asked the wife "So what number are you?" and she, with her bp sticking out of her purse but concealed so people can't see the number, says "A22" so those nearby could hear and did the over-both-shoulder-check. Now, I was going to let this go because it's only 1 position and I really don't care, but the deliberate and obvious subterfuge irked me, so I piped up "Well, you can't BOTH be A22, right? I see you (to the man) are 22..so what are you (to the woman)?". She pulls out the BP, looks at it, and pretends to be shocked "Oh, A27!" and slinks back. The man glared at me..

If they had only been honest about it, I would have had no problem with her moving up to be with him..although the rule is, if you want to board with someone, you go with the person who has the higher boarding number in the group meaning he could go back and board with her at A27....on a later evening, non full flight I really don't care. So really, it's about HOW people line jump that determines my response. A polite request will usually be rewarded..a whole play acting routine..hell no!

Point is, you have to stand up for yourself. Call people out on this behavior.

Last edited by pinworm; Jul 24, 2010 at 8:24 am
Old Jul 24, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by pinworm

Then, in the bording line another interesting incident. I was A23. An older couple get infront of me. A21 was already lined up, I saw her BP. So, in between 21 and me at 23, there should only have been 1 person.

So I glance down at the man's BP and I see A22. No biggie I figure, the flight is not full. But my giving a pass on the incident went out the window when the husband asked the wife "So what number are you?" and she, with her bp sticking out of her purse but concealed so people can't see the number, says "A22" so those nearby could hear and did the over-both-shoulder-check. Now, I was going to let this go because it's only 1 position and I really don't care, but the deliberate and obvious subterfuge irked me, so I piped up "Well, you can't BOTH be A22, right? I see you (to the man) are 22..so what are you (to the woman)?". She pulls out the BP, looks at it, and pretends to be shocked "Oh, A27!" and slinks back. The man glared at me..
Since when are people supposed to form the boarding line based on their seat assignment?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jazzop
Since when are people supposed to form the boarding line based on their seat assignment?
Those numbers are not their seat assignment, Southworst Airlines issues numbered boarding passes and has open seating.

To prevent a mad rush at the gate, they issue numbered passes and everyone is SUPPOSED to line up by number. There are numbered pillars in the terminal, 1-5, 6-10 etc. There are 3 basic boarding groups, A, B, and C. So if you are A22, you line up with the A group at the pillar marked 21-26.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.