Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I just might SNAP if another person cuts in front of me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I just might SNAP if another person cuts in front of me!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:35 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
I've never understood the urge to be first onboard. Who the hell wants to sit inside a pressurized aliminum tube any longer then they have to. I think I've been dead last to walk onto my flights about 99% of time. Seems to me most need to get on first because they get off on having people look at them up in first/business. Sad.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Anyone with high blood pressure and concerned about this issue should avoid China -- after observing a complete disregard for line queues in most places I visited, dealing with US pax is a piece of cake.
You'll have an aneurysm if you ever go to the Former Soviet Union. Trying explaining what a line is to a Russian or Ukrainian.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jredknapp11
I've never understood the urge to be first onboard. Who the hell wants to sit inside a pressurized aliminum tube any longer then they have to. I think I've been dead last to walk onto my flights about 99% of time. Seems to me most need to get on first because they get off on having people look at them up in first/business. Sad.
For me, it is really simple
-I have walked down from the club at the right time to board the plane
-there is nowhere else to sit, as US airport have woeful seating at gates
-I need the overhead space, since 25% of F is usually filled with FA luggage

This can be resolved:
-call the flight at the right time
-have adequate gate seating
-don't allow FAs to store luggage in paying customers overhead space

Also the number one cause of gate lice behavior is one single announcement 'In a few minutes we will begin pre-boarding......', why bother making the annnouncement?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by crispy116
For me, it is really simple
-I have walked down from the club at the right time to board the plane
-I need the overhead space, since 25% of F is usually filled with FA luggage

This can be resolved:

Also the number one cause of gate lice behavior is one single announcement 'In a few minutes we will begin pre-boarding......', why bother making the annnouncement?
I can respect that but I don't know. It just seems rather odd to me why one would want to sit on airplane longer then someone else, most people in F seem to just get their jollies at being looked while in the F seat. The overhead bin aspect I can understand but when I'm in F and my space is taken away, I just ask a FA and she/he will find the room, if they don't.. no big deal life goes on.

We all have our own quirks, fair enough. The next time you're waiting to take off and the FA is waiting on one more person to board the plane, odds are it's probably me, your welcome to curse me out I'm used to it
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1P, A|Club G, DL SM, SPG G
I personally ask people if they're in line for a specific group and try to gauge the end of the line by answers. If I cut someone, it's certainly because the gate needs to be deloused. I can understand the desire to stand after a 14 hour flight while waiting for a connect, but people can go stand somewhere else. I would hope that nobody would sit and steam over me cutting them and would just let me know that I had so I could correct myself. What I really wish is that the GAs would be more firm and tell people to clear the .... out.

As far as the mention of luggage having a correlation with respect shown by others, I too sometimes pack my daypack instead of a roller if I'm going overseas. It's just easier to maneuver if I'm going to be mobile. People certainly try to cut me since I look very young and have a half sleeve. Clearly a guy dressed like that couldn't be in F! Of course, my daypack probably cost more than some middle manager's cheap suit... My former boss used to get the same treatment from old stuffed shirts as he sat in first class to Japan with his washed-out punk tee shirts and flannel buttondown. In our industry, nobody really cares how you dress or how you look. It's normal to dress however you want to the office.

I really don't know why old, overweight men would want to mess with the guy who looks like he doesn't take any ...., but whatever. If someone really wants to cut in line, I just correct them firmly and figure they must be a miserable human being if they do it often.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:03 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by vatraveler
This is just what has become of American culture and manners. Same thing happened to me yesterday in line for an Amtrak train.
Clearly you have never seen a boarding in other countries. We are civil in comparison to a lot of places.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by lambrettaStarr
I agree - and people need to BACK UP OFF THE LINE before their zone is called. Often I am in first class and there's ten elite lice blocking the sky priority line so I can't board even when it's my right to do so before the others. I have no problem cutting in front. People still give me the evil eye anyway. Simply because they don't know the rules/procedures.

I hate sky priority. Boarding should be segmented by status level, end of story. Why should some platinum or gold be allowed to line up before me? That's what causes the gate lice syndrome anyway.
DYKWIA?!?!? DO YOU?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975
So long as i board in the first 2 zones, I've NEVER had any issue finding space for my bag. Whether you board 1st or 21st, you're going to find space for your bag.
If you are in a first bulkhead on say a MD88 many times you can't find a spot for your bag until row 10 if you don't get on in the first few people - which is a pain when you get off.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Not trying to hijack the thread but this has happened to me several times....How about when you're in the Security Line and someone bee lines right by everybody without saying excuse me. Of course when they're questioned it's "I'm late for my flight", without making eye contact. No thanks, no nothing. Last year this happened in BOS in the DL Priority Line. 15 minutes later I run into this schlub in the SC. Not only was he relaxing with a beverage...he was on my flight in FC to MSP, and we had plenty of time to make the flight! I was on my best non confrontational and didn't confront him...I look back and wish I did.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:15 am

+1
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Sometimes, when people cut in front of me in line, I say loudly and to no one in particular "I must be invisible today". The line cutters either ignore me or say something like I'm sorry and then move. But saying it loudly, I bring their rude behavior to the attention of everyone near me.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM
Wall-leaning lice at DFW

These wall-leaners were in Zone 2 or later and they were there before the incoming flight even arrived - probably about 90 minutes before boarding. The guy in front on a very important call was in Zone 4, but I heard him tell the agent he had "special needs" when he ran up during PREM boarding after me (I was in first on that flight) - no idea what those needs were as he was moving about just fine.

One thing to note - they obviously have major amounts of carryon baggage and are desperate for overhead space. Except for turqoise Sam. I also like DYKWIA jeans dude smack in the middle of it all as if the wall-leaning line matters not to him. He's walking right through the second the GA shows up, he'll have you know.

Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, DL
^ Key point.

This can be resolved:
You left out the number one way to improve the situation:
-outfit planes with larger overhead storage bins
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by jredknapp11
It just seems rather odd to me why one would want to sit on airplane longer then someone else, most people in F seem to just get their jollies at being looked while in the F seat.
Agreed.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:58 pm

...since 25% of F is usually filled with FA luggage...
Complete B.S. Report it each and every time it happens.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by stencil
...they obviously have major amounts of carry-on baggage and are desperate for overhead space...
Are people that hard-up for money that they cannot budget the baggage fees into their travel? Or, are they so important that waiting for their the luggage in baggage claim would cause them to miss that meeting with the President? This is targeted at those DYKWIA folks who like to carry a roll-aboard, a tri-fold garmet bag, and a computer bag.

How about GA's and FA's start, hold your breath here, enforcing the rules:

a) One carry-on and one personal item, period.
b) Carry-on doesn't fit in the template thingy, gate-check, period.
c) Y PAX stowing items in FC OH: "Sorry sir, these bins are for FC PAX, here's your bag."
d) "Sorry sir, we are boarding Zone 1, please step aside and wait until we call Zone 4."
e) When flying Southwest: "Sorry sir, next in line is A2, you are A15, please step aside and wait your turn."

The less the rules are enforced, the more DYKWIA folks are going to intentionally break them for their own self-gain.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Jul 2, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.