Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I just might SNAP if another person cuts in front of me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I just might SNAP if another person cuts in front of me!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by lambrettaStarr
Why should some platinum or gold be allowed to line up before me? That's what causes the gate lice syndrome anyway.
I'm not sure that is what causes the gate lice syndrome...lot's of non-"elites" are gate lice. But I agree that everyone in F should be allowed to board before anyone in Y. After F has boarded, then all Medallions and ST Elite (including FOs) sitting in Y, then general boarding.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I know I'm in the minority but to me their shouldn't even BE a line until boarding starts. I mean what happened to waiting until your zone is called before approaching the gate? It now seems that more and more people just line up on the carpet 30 minutes before boarding in order to look important. Even if you are in F, boarding still has not started so what's with the line? Are these folks not "gate lice"?? And yes, I do travel in F but I do NOT line up before boarding begins. I just don't see the point.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by lambrettaStarr
Why should some platinum or gold be allowed to line up before me?
my,my my aren't "we" special.......
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975
It now seems that more and more people just line up on the carpet 30 minutes before boarding in order to look important. I just don't see the point.

The point is to get overhead storage space before it is gone.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:11 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
These people think because they have top status that they are always better that the people either in economy or the people with lower status. Maybe this person thought that you were in economy. These people are definitely DYKWIA type of people. Next time you should say something about where the back of the line is. Or that you are flying first class, and then see what they do.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Just try traveling abroad...the concept of a line or as our UK friends say "queuing" is truly a foreign concept.

I've seen old ladies from countries to the east literally shove people out of the way to board a boat, train, plane, etc.

Our view of right or wrong is purely cultural. Enjoy the experience.

-=tg=-

P.S. And yes, at times it infuriates me.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i've always believed that if you're elite or business/F then yeah, you should be allowed to board first.

...when they call your group first.

if you miss your group, i say back of the line with everyone else. you missed your chance. line cutting frustrates me almost as much as gate lice. this is pretty ubiquitous with all airlines which is really, really annoying.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by troyintn
It is sad to say but WN has the best boarding system anymore. I saw it the other day. Every one gets in line at # sign that they are in. Delta could do something similar, and cheaply. IE F, DM, PM,GM SM, and then put up some zone # signs. The issue is they let to many people preboard and then it is a mess in front of the Gate.
line cutting even happens at WN
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by DLFan2
The point is to get overhead storage space before it is gone.
So long as i board in the first 2 zones, I've NEVER had any issue finding space for my bag. Whether you board 1st or 21st, you're going to find space for your bag.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:59 am
Original Member

I love it when...

I always get a window seat. I particularly love it when the line cutter is in the aisle seat next to me. And, once they are all settled, I get extra enjoyment out of telling them they have to get up while I take my time getting into my seat. This has happened several times. ^
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by troyintn
It is sad to say but WN has the best boarding system anymore. I saw it the other day. Every one gets in line at # sign that they are in. Delta could do something similar, and cheaply. IE F, DM, PM,GM SM, and then put up some zone # signs. The issue is they let to many people preboard and then it is a mess in front of the Gate.
As much as I dislike the WN flying experience, this is one thing they do correctly. If DL were to line people up and board bulkhead F, then rows 4, 3 and 2 windows followed by rows 4, 3 and 2 aisles, boaring would be much faster. Same with the back of the plane. As long as DL doesn't start asking their FAs to fake funny or sing over the PA, I'm on board with this suggestion.

And Amen, Brother, to the OP. While I don't let it get to me, the people who ignore the line and just push themselves into the line somewhere near the front are rude, annoying and especially horrid when they try to act like they don't realize they are butting in line. But since you did not threaten to pop them or call them some ignorant name, your past was not out of line.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975
So long as i board in the first 2 zones, I've NEVER had any issue finding space for my bag. Whether you board 1st or 21st, you're going to find space for your bag.
Sure, but the gate lice who try to line up early aren't necessarily from the first two zones.

And maybe the F pax who push to the front of the line are motivated by getting some pre-flight booze early so that they can even get a second drink before departure.

Or, maybe they are just rude. Period.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by kelvinj
Yeah, this is a "hot mess" thread. But, I am amazed at the number of passengers who think it is totally acceptable to just cut right in front of me when we are in line for boarding. Mind you, I'm not talking about traditional gate lice here. I'm referring to First Class and Zone 1 passengers who feel they are way more elite than other passengers in the same line. Some people will just walk right up from out of no where and KNOWINGLY cut in front of me, thereby sending a message that to them, I don't exist. Maybe someone else will snap when it happens to them, and I'll get the chance to live vicariously through them.

On the good side, I always get great joy from seeing someone who cuts me in the boarding line continue all the way to coach while I take my seat in First Class. Whew, now THAT is a good feeling.

I know I'll get slammed for this post, but it was nice to vent anyway!
I don't know what "hot mess" means, but I'll assume it's American slang for "problematic"(?).

I am sometimes told by staff to "go to the front of the line" when people have crowded the gate and I have an F class seat (international), so I just do that and they beep me through.
I have no idea if there is someone I am jumping the queue on, but I realise that it could be irritating to those who are rightfully waiting to board (people in F, with status, etc.).
Sometimes you don't know when everyone crowds the area and it is clear that people are not doing the whole "queue up" action properly, but I'm not going to go to the back with 300 people ahead of me, and I'm not going to ask the first 10 people in the queue if they're supposed to be there or not, if the staff tell me to "just go to the front".
I've seen people jump in front of me doing the same thing (they're in C or F, as am I). I just wait a few minutes and I'm on board anyway.

I guess my message is not to take it personally, as some people have been told to "go to the front of the queue".

Last edited by Flyingfox; Jul 1, 2010 at 11:29 am
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:14 am
Suspended

Semi-GATE-Lice

Originally Posted by kelvinj
Yeah, this is a "hot mess" thread. But, I am amazed at the number of passengers who think it is totally acceptable to just cut right in front of me when we are in line for boarding. Mind you, I'm not talking about traditional gate lice here. I'm referring to First Class and Zone 1 passengers who feel they are way more elite than other passengers in the same line. Some people will just walk right up from out of no where and KNOWINGLY cut in front of me, thereby sending a message that to them, I don't exist. Maybe someone else will snap when it happens to them, and I'll get the chance to live vicariously through them.

On the good side, I always get great joy from seeing someone who cuts me in the boarding line continue all the way to coach while I take my seat in First Class. Whew, now THAT is a good feeling.

I know I'll get slammed for this post, but it was nice to vent anyway!
No slamming from me. Love taking my FC seat while the gate lice or semi-lice head to the back. BTW, those folks cutting in front of you do so because of low self esteem!!! Sad, really.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by tgtg

I've seen old ladies from countries to the east literally shove people out of the way to board a boat, train, plane, etc.
About 20 years ago in Tel Aviv I had a woman slowly moving closer and closer to me whilst I waited in the queue. She eventually "bumped" me and tried to pass me, and in her process of brushing against me said to me "why are you pushing me?"
I turned to her and said, "Madame, you've had your eyes set on bumping into me for the past 5 minutes, I haven't moved a muscle!".
That went over well.
When overseas, I generally "let it go".
I will say that jumping most "lines" in the US will get you into some hot water! Americans are more civil when it comes to staying in the queue properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.