Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I just might SNAP if another person cuts in front of me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I just might SNAP if another person cuts in front of me!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Today, in RDU, which has such a great ground crew, the announcement was "if you have children in strollers or car seats" you could board early. A family with older children ran up waiving their BPs, only to be told that the GA was not boarding Zone 4 yet. Good job RDU crew!!
That's the way it should be done everywhere!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DLFan2
That's the way it should be done everywhere!
When my boy was about 7 or 8 a GA said, as I handed her our boarding passes that right now she was only boarding families with SMALL children and first class customers. She should have looked at the boarding passes.

As for the issue of cutting in line, when there are 50 or more people milling about the gate shute, it is clear that they aren't all in FC. My strategy is to move along the outside of the line to about the eight or tenth person and ask - FC? If they say no, I cut in front of them.

The other strategy iI have used is to wait until the GA calls boarding for FC and see who moves and who doesn't. The first non-mover in line is an indication where FC and Zone 1 split. And that is the reason why when SkyPriority was created pre PREM, it was a huge mess.

Finally, when I check bags, I don't worry about boarding until the end. I can always have my pre-flight drink in the SC.

What I find the most humorous is the Zone 2 or 3 person who queues up and as the start getting closer to the front and their zone hasn't been called, they start to let people pass. Too funny.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
I'll admit I didn't read all the post in this thread, but I have to say I didn't know how much I liked the boarding process BEFORE SkyPriority until they broke something that didn't need fixing. It worked before. Plain and simple. Despite DL lying to me that they would fix SP boarding (email sent by DL back in May) they haven't . Way to go DL!!!!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by stencil
These wall-leaners were in Zone 2 or later and they were there before the incoming flight even arrived - probably about 90 minutes before boarding. The guy in front on a very important call was in Zone 4, but I heard him tell the agent he had "special needs" when he ran up during PREM boarding after me (I was in first on that flight) - no idea what those needs were as he was moving about just fine.

One thing to note - they obviously have major amounts of carryon baggage and are desperate for overhead space. Except for turqoise Sam. I also like DYKWIA jeans dude smack in the middle of it all as if the wall-leaning line matters not to him. He's walking right through the second the GA shows up, he'll have you know.
In my experience, the problem is not the process or enforcement by the GA. It's the hoard of inconsiderate people in boarding zones 4-999 that cram up as close as they can.

The GA can send the sneakers back, but the blockade remains. Another GA needs to move out front to get the higher boarding groups to move the he11 out of the way. A bullhorn full of embarrassment should do the trick.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kelvinj
Yeah, this is a "hot mess" thread. But, I am amazed at the number of passengers who think it is totally acceptable to just cut right in front of me when we are in line for boarding. Mind you, I'm not talking about traditional gate lice here. I'm referring to First Class and Zone 1 passengers who feel they are way more elite than other passengers in the same line. Some people will just walk right up from out of no where and KNOWINGLY cut in front of me, thereby sending a message that to them, I don't exist. Maybe someone else will snap when it happens to them, and I'll get the chance to live vicariously through them.

On the good side, I always get great joy from seeing someone who cuts me in the boarding line continue all the way to coach while I take my seat in First Class. Whew, now THAT is a good feeling.

I know I'll get slammed for this post, but it was nice to vent anyway!
Really....you might want to check your ego a little. Does it matter if someone gets on the plane before you? No one is going anywhere before the plane is completely boarded. This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have read on this forum in a while.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Originally Posted by battensea
Agreed.
^ You're alright
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by ScatterX
Another GA needs to move out front to get the higher boarding groups to move the he11 out of the way. A bullhorn full of embarrassment should do the trick.
I might purchase a B-fare on one flight just to enjoy such an experience.

A lot of this problem also may have something to do with the hordes of infrequent fliers who are used to the WN cattle call (yes, I know they now use a new 'smarter' numbering system but the cows dont relearn these new tricks so quickly). Yet another reason for me to dislike WN. And, yes, these comments are coming from a WN CP holder.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by DLFan2
What's wrong with "Excuse me, the end of the line is back there..." ?
Exactly. Rather than venting here, be a man in the line and tell them in their face to take a hike. Keeping your rollerboard in the forward, defensive position rather than the passive, trailing position gives you extra leverage to make your point.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:59 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by crispy116
Also the number one cause of gate lice behavior is one single announcement 'In a few minutes we will begin pre-boarding......', why bother making the annnouncement?
That has always been my thought.

I have always wanted them to mount a lighted sign above the jetway door that says "First Class Only Boarding Now." Instead of any announcements about boarding, which do tend to draw people of all zones toward the gate regardless of how many zone instructions have been given, I say just silently turn on the first class boarding sign. Those in the know will move forward and board.

Failing that, I think an effort should be made to get the F cabin cleaned before Y is cleaned, and then go ahead and board F, and only F, once the cabin is available to be occurpied. The first PA announcement should be, "Ladies and Gentlement, First Class may board now, but only First Class. We will board all other zones in 15 minutes." Instead of the continuous boarding concept, build in a clearly defined break between F boarding and Y boarding.

As to cutting in front of people: if I am standing there in the mass of people at the gate (because there is no place to sit and often because boarding is not taking place on time), and First Class boarding is called, if you don't move, I will cut in front of you. I operate on the premise that if you don't move, it probably means you are one of the many people without early boarding priority who are nonetheless standing there to clog things up.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:23 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
SFO is generally a massive throng of people, especially if you're down by gate 45. There's no line, just a big cluster of people. So, in this case, when they call F, I generally don't feel any regret about carving my way to the front. Sadly, neither do a bunch of people who just don't have a clue about the boarding process.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:18 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I have always wanted them to mount a lighted sign above the jetway door that says "First Class Only Boarding Now." Instead of any announcements about boarding, which do tend to draw people of all zones toward the gate regardless of how many zone instructions have been given, I say just silently turn on the first class boarding sign. Those in the know will move forward and board.
Sometimes in ATL this does happen if you watch the GIDS. The green bar at the bottom will appear with "Boarding Zone 1" before any announcement is made. As I push my way past the gate lice who may also be in F but haven't noticed the GIDS they all glare at me with looks that could kill or the "who the F do you think you are?" stare. I just say "they are boarding zone one so I assumed you are in coach" which usually causes a look of horror on their face.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NDflyer13
Really....you might want to check your ego a little. Does it matter if someone gets on the plane before you? No one is going anywhere before the plane is completely boarded. This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have read on this forum in a while.

Wow! You are a class act, dear friend. Your response to me, someone who has absolutely no ego, indicates that you are the one with the ego (read: Bonafide DYKWIA type). For the record: No, it doesn't matter if someone gets on the plane before me. But, it does matter if rude people cut in front of me and other passengers. As you said, "no one is going anywhere before the plane is completely boarded."

Nonetheless, I thank you sincerely for your comment. Everyday is a learning day when it comes to understanding others and their method of thinking.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:35 pm

Youre missing the point dude, a line cutter is a line cutter. There is such a breakdown of the structure and human civiity that we need the rules for specific reasons. I suppose everyone is getting on the plane as you point out, but it sure would happen a lot easier if it were happening as it was supposed to. The real offenders, though, are the GA's who dont enforce anything including carry on sizes.

You havent read very nuch in these forums, by the way, if you think this is remotely ridiculous ... Which it isnt. Do some more homework, i could even direct you to some moronic posts but this one isnt the aforementioned moronic post.

Im going to start a petition in the AA forum to collect signatures and forward them to AA so they can do something about their pathetic GAs.

QUOTE=NDflyer13;14235816]Really....you might want to check your ego a little. Does it matter if someone gets on the plane before you? No one is going anywhere before the plane is completely boarded. This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have read on this forum in a while.[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by NDflyer13
I really feel like you didnt even read this thread and/or understand the point of it, and with 21 posts I really dont care if "this is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a while." The thread is about cutting in line, which in our culture is something that is collectively agreed upon as the natural way to que to go through a crowded area when others are there before you.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:50 pm

You be right about that.

Originally Posted by DLATL777
I really feel like you didnt even read this thread and/or understand the point of it, and with 21 posts I really dont care if "this is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a while." The thread is about cutting in line, which in our culture is something that is collectively agreed upon as the natural way to que to go through a crowded area when others are there before you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.