Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I just might SNAP if another person cuts in front of me!

Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Yeah, this is a "hot mess" thread. But, I am amazed at the number of passengers who think it is totally acceptable to just cut right in front of me when we are in line for boarding. Mind you, I'm not talking about traditional gate lice here. I'm referring to First Class and Zone 1 passengers who feel they are way more elite than other passengers in the same line. Some people will just walk right up from out of no where and KNOWINGLY cut in front of me, thereby sending a message that to them, I don't exist. Maybe someone else will snap when it happens to them, and I'll get the chance to live vicariously through them.

On the good side, I always get great joy from seeing someone who cuts me in the boarding line continue all the way to coach while I take my seat in First Class. Whew, now THAT is a good feeling.

I know I'll get slammed for this post, but it was nice to vent anyway!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Talking

Lolz, let's hope that person is not your seatmate, nor the person who will ask you to switch seat better yet "assume" you will switch seat
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Line jumping mechanics

Originally Posted by kelvinj
Yeah, this is a "hot mess" thread. But, I am amazed at the number of passengers who think it is totally acceptable to just cut right in front of me when we are in line for boarding. Mind you, I'm not talking about traditional gate lice here. I'm referring to First Class and Zone 1 passengers who feel they are way more elite than other passengers in the same line. Some people will just walk right up from out of no where and KNOWINGLY cut in front of me, thereby sending a message that to them, I don't exist. Maybe someone else will snap when it happens to them, and I'll get the chance to live vicariously through them.

On the good side, I always get great joy from seeing someone who cuts me in the boarding line continue all the way to coach while I take my seat in First Class. Whew, now THAT is a good feeling.

I don't think your comment is out of line at all-- but I do believe there are a lot of factors that contribute to the situation. One of the key issues that makes people think they are entitled to line jumping is some of the boarding priority mechanisms that create different classes of customers and the inherent difficulties in sorting these folks out. I do not know how Delta does it, but UA has the Red Carpet boarding specifically for 1st Class, 1K and GS ranks-- which really separates the casual flyer and economy coach class from the elite ranks. I see only a few problems with UA's system and they rarely cause issues with passengers, because the holy grail-- overhead bin space-- is not an issue for these few folks that pre-board.

When the gate agent fails to properly list the boarding priority rules, then trouble ensues. It takes discipline at the gate to prevent these issues from becoming a problem, and it could be that the Delta agents don't have "standard" work procedures inculcated sufficiently into their system to provide a good enough framework to keep people from confusing their status with those around them. I don't fly Delta although lots of my friends do-- because I live in Chicago and Delta is not a good choice from here-- but it would bother the heck out of me if people were doing what you mention and just butt their way in front of me.

When I am late for a connection, the Red Carpet boarding procedure allows me to go straight to the front of the line across the red carpet to board--- and believe me that gets me some looks from the general boarding line sometimes-- as does the situation when I decide to stay in the club awhile longer than I should and come out to get straight to the boarding gate without a line. It is nice when I am running late though.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:18 am

If only the gate agents would enforce boarding in the order they announce and send people back when they juice the process. Thats the problem. Every gate agent is a sissy

Originally Posted by tryathlete
I don't think your comment is out of line at all-- but I do believe there are a lot of factors that contribute to the situation. One of the key issues that makes people think they are entitled to line jumping is some of the boarding priority mechanisms that create different classes of customers and the inherent difficulties in sorting these folks out. I do not know how Delta does it, but UA has the Red Carpet boarding specifically for 1st Class, 1K and GS ranks-- which really separates the casual flyer and economy coach class from the elite ranks. I see only a few problems with UA's system and they rarely cause issues with passengers, because the holy grail-- overhead bin space-- is not an issue for these few folks that pre-board.

When the gate agent fails to properly list the boarding priority rules, then trouble ensues. It takes discipline at the gate to prevent these issues from becoming a problem, and it could be that the Delta agents don't have "standard" work procedures inculcated sufficiently into their system to provide a good enough framework to keep people from confusing their status with those around them. I don't fly Delta although lots of my friends do-- because I live in Chicago and Delta is not a good choice from here-- but it would bother the heck out of me if people were doing what you mention and just butt their way in front of me.

When I am late for a connection, the Red Carpet boarding procedure allows me to go straight to the front of the line across the red carpet to board--- and believe me that gets me some looks from the general boarding line sometimes-- as does the situation when I decide to stay in the club awhile longer than I should and come out to get straight to the boarding gate without a line. It is nice when I am running late though.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM

Personally this happens a lot of times when I travel.
But travel itself is stressful - why add more stress to a stressful process?
I just grin and bear it - when I have a FC seat .... sometimes the guy who cut ahead of me ... sits next to me ... so I tell him that it was an unpleasant way for him to have boarded when many of us also are of the same class/ status.
People who do this - usually are of the DYKWIA type .....
chill .... untill Delta enforces the rules of boarding by training their GAs there is very little we can do.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by dd1612
Personally this happens a lot of times when I travel.
But travel itself is stressful - why add more stress to a stressful process?
I just grin and bear it - when I have a FC seat .... sometimes the guy who cut ahead of me ... sits next to me ... so I tell him that it was an unpleasant way for him to have boarded when many of us also are of the same class/ status.
People who do this - usually are of the DYKWIA type .....
chill .... untill Delta enforces the rules of boarding by training their GAs there is very little we can do.
What's wrong with "Excuse me, the end of the line is back there..." ?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program

Your post is perfectly appropriate.

But if people routinely cut in front of you, I'd wonder why...doesn't happen to me too much. I am not physically imposing. And if someone did cut in front of me, I'd politely challenge him.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
2 weeks ago LAX-ATL on the 777LR I was in line being a "good" gate lice, as boarding was 30 minutes late but of course not posted, thus everyone was at the game by this point. I was 5th or 6th in line on the Sky Priority side of the line, behind me were 40 something elites. We are nearing boarding time and 2 gentlemen decide they should be at the very head of the line. Well, they make it all the way to about the third person, when all 3 turn around and literally yell "There is a damn line, what the (expletive) is your problem." The guys who are doing the cutting of course all of a sudden smile and say "calm down, its just a line" in a futile attempt to make it look as though the people out of line (pun intended) were the 3 in front off them telling them to go back.

Needless to say the arrogant self important gate lice returned to 42nd in line.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Does it happen when you're standing in the boarding line or leaning against the wall? When I'm travelling with Mr. Marylou he just does not see anybody unless they are directly in the boarding line. I am always under the assumption that "wall leaners" that are right by the boarding line are technically in line and I would never jump in front of them.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by DLFan2
What's wrong with "Excuse me, the end of the line is back there..." ?
I wish people would publically call out the bad behavior of others. Maybe people wouldn't pull stunts like line cutting if they knew there was a good chance somebody was going to say something about it.

Most people don't say anything. Which is why the line cutters continue to do it...
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I see this all the time. There is a line at the SP carpet and at the last minute, people swarm in from all sides and seingly blend themselves in, though they are actually breaking the line- and they call you rude for not allowing them to break the line.

If they don't have bags, i let them pass, if they have the house and farm, they don't get in front of me.

Not being rude, just maintaining the integrity of the line.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
It is sad to say but WN has the best boarding system anymore. I saw it the other day. Every one gets in line at # sign that they are in. Delta could do something similar, and cheaply. IE F, DM, PM,GM SM, and then put up some zone # signs. The issue is they let to many people preboard and then it is a mess in front of the Gate.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is just what has become of American culture and manners. Same thing happened to me yesterday in line for an Amtrak train.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by dsg10715
If only the gate agents would enforce boarding in the order they announce and send people back when they juice the process. Thats the problem. Every gate agent is a sissy
I agree - and people need to BACK UP OFF THE LINE before their zone is called. Often I am in first class and there's ten elite lice blocking the sky priority line so I can't board even when it's my right to do so before the others. I have no problem cutting in front. People still give me the evil eye anyway. Simply because they don't know the rules/procedures.

I hate sky priority. Boarding should be segmented by status level, end of story. Why should some platinum or gold be allowed to line up before me? That's what causes the gate lice syndrome anyway.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Ahhhh ... I remember the good old days of post 9/11 when TSA essentially always did a second security screening of passengers at the gate. Naturally then, I would be more than happy to be third or fourth in line depending on the number of persons TSA had on hand at the gate. I believe my line at the time was "Why no, after you ... please".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.