FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1892347-flighty-new-flight-tracking-app-ios.html)

merlin90 Oct 31, 2019 10:04 am

Some kind of live flight tracking and airport departures/arrivals info would be useful, particularly if, say, you're due to pick someone up from the airport and they haven't updated you, or aren't able to update you, about a delay.

flightyryan Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt (Post 31516255)
flightyryan remind me: is an iOS Today widget on the road map by any chance?

👋Definitely on the roadmap, but not immediately. It's not asked for THAT much, due to our notifications being so good.

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 31622214)
a few niche features I just thought would be cool:

Looking at flight current en route it would be interesting to see info such as altitude, speed, and squawk code.

Another interesting thing to see is just general departure and arrival flights by airport for all flights.

In-flight metrics? Yep. Probably this year, but not in the first half for sure, too much opportunity in the *necessary* features!

Departure/Arrival board? I know yall are super interesting in this one. High priority for FT. That one will be this year for sure, maybe even first half.

Originally Posted by merlin90 (Post 31686237)
Some kind of live flight tracking

We have live position on top of live flight plan. Is that what you mean?

Originally Posted by merlin90 (Post 31686237)
airport departures/arrivals info would be useful, particularly if, say, you're due to pick someone up from the airport and they haven't updated you, or aren't able to update you, about a delay.

Why wouldn't you search by route and add their flight? Then just get everything pushed right to you, no worries about constantly checking. Did I miss your intent?

flightyryan Jan 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by fifty_two (Post 31918560)
while travelling i use bunch of apps , see list below

about travel management apps , check my review here = https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31918525-post29.html

Daaaaang 52, we need to get you on Flighty. People always tell us it replaces 3-5 apps (usually FA, FS, FR24, TripIt, and airline apps). Our goal is to combine the best of each. Shoot me an email at [email protected] App: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1358823008

fifty_two Jan 19, 2020 11:34 am

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31967354)
Daaaaang 52, we need to get you on Flighty. People always tell us it replaces 3-5 apps (usually FA, FS, FR24, TripIt, and airline apps). Our goal is to combine the best of each. Shoot me an email at [email protected] App: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1358823008

thanks for recommandation, but few things to ask

1 = i dont use IOS , do you plan an android version ?
2 = how you want to differentiate yourself from competitors ?
3 = what are these apps you mentionned = FA , FS ?

flightyryan Jan 19, 2020 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by fifty_two (Post 31969704)
thanks for recommandation, but few things to ask

1 = i dont use IOS , do you plan an android version ?
2 = how you want to differentiate yourself from competitors ?
3 = what are these apps you mentionned = FA , FS ?

1. iOS only for now. We are a team of 4. Have to make sure the business works well first. It does work on iPad, I know a lot of android users have an iPad. It’s exceptional on iPad actually.

2. We replace multiple apps (save money), we definitely have the fastest and best alerts (fully push infrastructure and 64 alert types). We have 2 exclusive unmatched features right now and more coming

2A: 25-hr where’s my plane. Instead of watching FA 24/7 and clicking refresh we monitor your tail number, every time, for 25 hours before your departure. We send alerts for any issues, and for take off, landing, and gate arrival of the immediately prior flight so you always know (without every opening the app or manually refreshing constantly) if the plane is late. No one else comes even close to this and late aircraft is the #1 cause of delay.

2B. We have FAA OIS data access. This means when the FAA issues delay programs or stops they we send a push alert and we show the reason and how long the advisory lasts. No one else has this and it’s airspace advisories are the #2 cause of delays.

3. FA is FlightAware. Their main thing is where’s my plane. Ours is way better, longer, always on, and push alerts.
FS is FlightStats. Their main thing is some airlines have better accuracy and they have delay forecasts. We have both of those.
FR is Flightradar24. Their main thing is tail numbers and live location. We have both of those (again with push alerts).

😁 Yep, it’s pretty awesome. And we are full blast making it even better.

georgetasioulis Feb 5, 2020 3:45 pm

My quick 2c as I just found out about Flighty today and activated the trial.
Love the design! Indeed you did a very nice job with the UI. Also so much stats and information for every flight - I'm a stats geek so thumbs up!
What I would love to see, as others have requested before me is CSV import/export capabilities. TripIt is an overkill for my case. I log my flights to OpenFlights & myFR24, so it would be great if I could import my past flights to Flighty.

flightyryan Feb 5, 2020 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by georgetasioulis (Post 32037228)
My quick 2c as I just found out about Flighty today and activated the trial.
Love the design! Indeed you did a very nice job with the UI. Also so much stats and information for every flight - I'm a stats geek so thumbs up!
What I would love to see, as others have requested before me is CSV import/export capabilities. TripIt is an overkill for my case. I log my flights to OpenFlights & myFR24, so it would be great if I could import my past flights to Flighty.

Hey George, glad you like it! :) That's the kind of feedback that keeps us going, so thanks for sharing.

I hear you (and everyone) on the csv import/export. Funny enough we did a survey in Q4 of ranking features, and csv import was in last place across the board, for every type of user! :( About 700 replied and it was evenly split between users and non. So it's about as pure as it gets in terms of feedback.

The gist is: when ranked against other stuff that we could be working on, it almost always loses. Probably even for you!

That said, it *IS* something we talk about almost monthly, as users like you request it. We're trying to think of the easiest way for everyone (you and us). Right now our best idea is to post a csv template that you can fill out, then email to us, and once a month we manually import all the requests we received. Would that be welcome or annoying?

georgetasioulis Feb 5, 2020 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 32037304)
Right now our best idea is to post a csv template that you can fill out, then email to us, and once a month we manually import all the requests we received. Would that be welcome or annoying?

If you could do that, that would be awesome! It's a one-time thing anyway, as I only want to add my previous flights. With the help of excel, adjusting the csv export of openflights to your template will probably be a piece of cake :)

flightyryan Feb 5, 2020 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by georgetasioulis (Post 32037327)
If you could do that, that would be awesome! It's a one-time thing anyway, as I only want to add my previous flights. With the help of excel, adjusting the csv export of openflights to your template will probably be a piece of cake :)

Thanks, that's very helpful to know that a 30 day delay is still welcome. To be fully transparent, our database doesn't go back past 2006. So anything prior to that will be dropped :(. Apparently that data does not exist anywhere and we haven't built the ability to input manually flights, yet. We would return the csv sheet with markup notes on status.

FWIW, Excel / OpenFlights > TripIt > Flighty works today :)

boerne Feb 6, 2020 7:26 am

This app looks great. will download soon with some complex flights coming up. Just an FYI your signature says "fighty" app, which totally cracked me up. Sending to family members who fly too.

"Company Representative, Fighty App" ;)

flightyryan Feb 6, 2020 7:56 am

Originally Posted by boerne (Post 32039574)
This app looks great. will download soon with some complex flights coming up. Just an FYI your signature says "fighty" app, which totally cracked me up. Sending to family members who fly too.

"Company Representative, Fighty App" ;)

YEEEESS 👏😆 That's hilarious. Believe it or not, that's the first time that has happened. I figured it would be 100x more. My fingers just type "flighty" now instinctually. I actually can't right "flight" without typing the y and then deleting. It's stuck in my fingers.

georgetasioulis Feb 6, 2020 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 32037721)
FWIW, Excel / OpenFlights > TripIt > Flighty works today

I didn't know it's possible to import past flights from CSV/OpenFlights into TripIt. Couldn't find anything related in their help center either.
I only see the option to send booking confirmations via email, or setup auto-import so they scan my email account.

But yeah your template would be awesome (plus I wouldn't have to bother with TripIt) and a 30 delay is no problem at all.

jugaadkabaap Feb 7, 2020 11:25 pm

Should had read this thread a bit earlier - just downloaded the app and the teaser shows 66$ / year. I am guessing its because I have Canadian app store ?

Went back and read all the discussions about pricing & feature sets - I should say I liked the candor in the Dev's response despite not in alignment to everything :) :P

I don't fly routinely for work at the moment, but do travel for leisure multiple times a year & those almost always involve milk run itineraries. Hence the prospect of this app really appease me but at the same time the pricing is not very palatable (for me). Having said that, I will be in lookout for any sale or promos that might push the sale price to a more wallet friendly ballpark (<=34.99 usd) :)

Another suggestion will be similar to the pack idea. I will be honest - like many others here, i would love to have the app at the most cost effective option and if the app is good enough and have build some confidence - i wouldn't mind paying ahead and taking some calculated risk.

So one wild thought i have will be to have a blended subscription model (i am not sure if its technically / operationally feasible as i haven't yet observed it in other apps) - the idea is like this.

Use case - A flyer who loves the app & its features but feels he doesn't fly enough to justify the current pricing BUT willing to support & subscribe if he / she can find a better pricing model.
  • Client (flyer) - buys a blended subscription model which is provided at a discounted rate say 60% of the current price BUT only allows Pro features (push etc) for an arbitrary time frame say 100-150 days / year.
  • The app has a server side flag which checks whether he have blended subscription and also a counter on the available days
  • The app has a toggle button to toggle the pro on / off AND also shows the number of days remaining.
  • The server checks the toggle and the counter before pushing the data to the client.
This is very similar to the pack idea but you get your revenue ahead.

I am not really sure if it makes sense - but i believe you kinda get the drift. There might be a subsection who might be willing to jump and pay ahead if the pricing is much more palatable :)

bryonbnm Feb 8, 2020 8:17 am

Missing flight segments

Love this app. Am pro user. App is linked to TripIt. Missing segments in several trips in Flighty. Is there something I can do, other than manually adding missing segments, to sync?

flightyryan Feb 8, 2020 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap (Post 32046727)
Should had read this thread a bit earlier - just downloaded the app and the teaser shows 66$ / year. I am guessing its because I have Canadian app store ?

Went back and read all the discussions about pricing & feature sets - I should say I liked the candor in the Dev's response despite not in alignment to everything :) :P

I am not really sure if it makes sense - but i believe you kinda get the drift. There might be a subsection who might be willing to jump and pay ahead if the pricing is much more palatable :)

Hey! Thanks! My candor gets me in trouble sometimes but oh well. Let me try to address your thoughts:

- I doubt we’ll do a discount anytime soon :( and we never have yet. People are obsessed with the app, things are going great, and we’re adding even more Pro / industry-first features this year... so to be honest... the price is more likely to go UP than down! (Not for current users) I really cant say yet though
- I think you are suggesting ~$30/yr for “choose any 100 days per year to be Pro”? That’s certainly new and creative so I love that. I’ll think on it. At first glance... it would crush our sales, be hard to build, and create user work/confusion :( but We’re working on a way to accommodate less frequent Pro’s, all ideas are welcome and I love wild ideas, I will actually think on this
- my guess is X/flying-days per year (X = 20?) for $Y/year (Y = $35?) would achieve the same results easier. As you can see though, unlimited for $50 is way better than that.
- Did you do the trial?